GT Karakoram Bike 1998 or Older

Ricochet

[Nov 01, 2017]
tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Chromoly frame, all shimano components, rapid fires, and rock shoks.

Mavic rims are heavy

I plan to upgrade my mavic rims to vuelto litespeeds, but seeing how the vueltos hold up. Mavic rims are strong, but really heavy. After changing out the seatpost and seat, going to clipless, it weights in under 28lbs....I cant confirm how much under 28lbs because I weighed it before the changes. I think I can get it down to 26lbs with different tires and wheels. Other than that, I had this since 1997, and I think some of the GT were heavier depending on the price points. My frame is really light and less than the all aluminum GT bike I have.....does that make sense? I bought another 1997 GT aluminum frame this year and its surprisingly heavier than my chrome molly frame. I think they got cheap on certain builds and didn't really know how to go aluminum then.

[Jul 22, 2013]
Adam Thibeault

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome Shimano XT Deore shifters never out of whack, solid cro-moly steel frame but still light. cables are tuck under top frame bar to keep clean and rust free

brakes and rims are crappy, but easy to upgrade

I converted mine over for more street use with 26 x 2.125 cruiser tires, but can still perform great in grass or dirt quite well. Think mine is from 1994 or 98, but is better than most new bikes. I love it

[Oct 09, 2012]
Paul Roberts

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent

Hi I have a 1994 karakorama in my garage I bought new,it's in excellent
Condition I would say,will never sell but curious as to what it is worth.

Can any please advise me

[Jul 08, 2012]
Stephan

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike just freekin' amazes me. Strong, rigid, durable. I ride this thing through Downtown Toronto streets on average 150 kms. a week, and I have done nothing to this thing other than replace pedals. Great blue/yellow paint, easily matched with Ford's blue for touch-ups!

Can't say anything bad about it.

So, I scooped this thing off Craigslist in the Spring- it's a 1997 Karakoram 01, had an original msrp of $1030.00 u.s. The guy I bought it from told me it was his wife's bike, she paid over $1200 (Cdn dollars) for it way back when, and rode it for a year before retiring it to their basement. I paid next to nothing for this thing, everything is completely original on this thing including the tyres- they are still showing 95% tread, NO dry-rot or cracking, and this thing is still riding absolutely perfect. It was well taken care of, and still is- I intend to keep thins thing for a long long time. It's going in for service in the next month.... only because of it's age- I'm just going to have it get a go-through for precautionary, give it some new cables and ride it forever! I'm 34 yrs. old, 6' tall and this thing is just a treat every time I get on it. Light enough it easily stores in a Toronto condo..... LOVE LOE LOVE this oldy but goody..... they did something right back in '97.... I bet if I got on a new one today I'd be disappointed!

[Dec 03, 2010]
bikeheid

OVERALL
Strength:

well made
visual appeal
good power transfer to the rear wheel
great handling
smooth riding feel

at five and a quarter pounds for a 16" frame, not amongst the lightest steel frames around (by no means the heaviest either though)

won my gt karakoram frame on an ebay auction, and resprayed red, before applying new decals. It's a 1993 model with a grooved top tube, under which the rear brake cable runs. 27.0 seatpost. the gt logo stamped into the plate on the end of the top tube adds a tough of class. :)
the more I ride this frame the more I like it. I use it for commuting, a wee bit o' cross country and as a general get-around. I love the solid feel and sure footed handling. that certain springy feel that steel frame riders speak of is in evidence alright! :D
if you're in the market for a great steel frame you wouldn't go far wrong to add one of these older gems to your shortlist. Karakorams are fantastic frames!

gt zaskar, raleigh m-trax taurus titanium, raleigh m-trax something or other, british eagle something or other with reynolds 531 main frame and hi-ten steel rear triangle. raleigh peak

[Oct 10, 2009]
TFKDave

OVERALL
Strength:

Rock solid, very durable frame, handles well, great for loading up

Not many for its age

I bought a 1993 model in 1994 just after college and learned to mtn bike on it. It took a horrendous beating from me as I crashed down hills and over rock piles. In 2002, I attached a rack and took it on a 200 mile 4 day trip pulling a BOB trailer on dirt roads in U.P. of MI. I still use a BOB trailer with it periodically. 15 years after buying it, its still going strong. I now use it as a commuter bike. But it still jumps curbs, etc. easily and without any signs of quitting. Everything has been replaced on it, except the frame itself. The paint is incredibly chipped now and the dropouts are showing a lot of wear, which is why I've stopped riding single-track with it. But overall, you couldn't ask for a better value and stronger frame.

2007 Felt Q720

[Apr 06, 2009]
El Gordo

OVERALL
Strength:

Rock Solid, handles really well, responsive, fun to drive

can't buy it new anymore

Just moved from Europe to Canada, didn't want to buy a car when I came to Canada and decided to buy a cheap used bike for the beginning. Stumbled over the 91 Karakoram, test rode it and liked it instantly. Used it a lot since then. Bike didn't disappoint me, it's a great bike. Horseshoe brake is excellent, frame is rock solid and components are good quality. The plan was to buy a better bike as soon as I had progressed on the foodchain, but decided that I would only be disappointed. Gave it an overhaul last winter and am looking forward to riding it this summer. Had to change front rim last summer. Got new rear rim, cassette, seat and chainrings last winter.

Amazing, this old bike brought back the fun into biking for me. It's a classic.

2001 Giant Boulder SE, 1990 Marin Muirwoods

[Nov 03, 2008]
Shawn McDonald

OVERALL
Strength:

ROCK SOLID! Cool looks (mine is "Purple Haze" color w/ white swirls in the paint), excellent fit, perfect balance.

Narrow back tire side clearance, threaded headset (a bit of play that's typical of this type), a bit on the heavy side

I've had this bike for 18 years. Got it in college, Spring '90, brand new and never looked back. There's no way I can part w/ this bike...the 1st thing I ever bought on a credit card and the best thing I've ever bought on a credit card. Stolen once, recovered, attempted stolen two more times. I've upgraded everything on the bike (except derailleurs) and put Rock Shock Magnesium Forks on the front and wrecked it and myself a TON of times over the years and the frame just doesn't quit. Did I mention I've had it for 18 YEARS! Looking forward to the next 18 year on my beast w/ two wheels! A classic for sure. The only inanimate object I can say I truly love. ;)

Trek, Specialized

[Jul 21, 2008]
Jason Curodeau

OVERALL
Strength:

I love this bike. I bought it on sale in 96' I upgraded to front suspension for a moab trip in 97' and over the years went to v-brakes and carbon handlebars. I use it to play and commute. I have beat this bike senseless and cannot destroy it.

It's a bit on the heavy side but indestructable. I cannot bring myself to part with it.

I have ridden this bike in 15 states on all kinds of trails and city conditions it has served me well over the last 12 years.

[Jul 19, 2003]
Ed

OVERALL
Strength:

Balance of strength, light weight & resiliance...looks great. Double-butted frame. A superb climber

Not the lightest steel frame around

GT's best effort in a steel hardtail...would choose a quality steel resilient frame ride like this over aluminum.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.