Giant Rincon Bike 1998 or Older

Rincon

[Nov 13, 2015]
Thomas L

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame. Great fit at 25 1/2 Wheels. Handle bars an Stem an seat.

Twist Shifters, Cheap. Crank set, Geared to low. Rear Cassette. Tires, sounds like truck tires.

Bought mine new in 1998. Wore it out in about 3 years. Just finished rebuilding it from the frame up and now it's November 2015.
It's a keeper. Love the fit of this bike.just needs some better upgrades. Well worth the investment.
Better then it was wben new now. To me it's now priceless. Rides Fantastic.
Someone gets the chance to buy one of these used. Do it. They ride great. It needs fixing it's well worth the investment.

Other Giant bikes. 7 in all.

[Aug 04, 2011]
cowboy charlie

OVERALL
Strength:

reliable, trouble-free, heavy duty

slightly heavy

Bought for heart health, rode a hilly area 10 miles, 3 times a week. Bought a farm, now am too busy for a regular exercise program, but I use the bike for herding cattle. Have only been challenged once by a 1200 pound cow, but now they are all used to it.

[May 10, 2010]
Carl Muheim

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid Frame, great components

replace the seat and seat post, front shifter, crank(bends easily...I weigh 175)

Awesome, love this bike so much so that when they stole my 2008 rincon on campus (UCSD) I had to replace it with the same model. I really miss the frame style of the 2008's, but the bike is still awesome. Highly recommend this bike. strong frame and makes you want to stress it out! I'm just a trail rider and it covers all basis for me")

2009 rincon

[Sep 28, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong chromoly frame (main triangle only) and fork. Double eyelets front and back for racks and fenders. 17" chainstays help avoid heel clip with rear panniers (but still possible depending on the rack). Good commuter and (possibly) touring bike.

Front shifter (Shimano 100GS) indexes badly: doesn't shift well from largest chainring to middle, need to jump to smallest and then back up to middle. Would have preferred a friction shifter. Front derailleur body needed some tweaking, but maybe that was just this copy. Rear index shifter & derailleur combo work very well though.

None of the frame tubes that are butted. Rear triangle is probably just hi-ten. Heavy bike, compared to what's available these days.

Good commuter bike, ok on light trails. Heavy (low 30's lbs) but feels sturdy. I've ordered SRAM MRX 3x7 shifters to replace the 100GS components. This is a beginner's mountain bike from the mid-90's that won't turn any heads these days, which is a good thing in the big city.

Aquila road bike. Apollo road bike.

[Sep 11, 2000]
Moegsien Schroeder

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong Frame. Great for first timers. Good component combination for the price {$200}

A bit too heavy. 36 spoke wheels. Geometry too relaxed for aggressive riders

I bought this bike not knowing much about bikes. Then it was a great bike. Still is. I've upgraded the components over the years. The frame geometry has become too relaxed for me now. I still use it for a daily commute to school and back {4 miles total} and then for a 15 mile ride in the afternoons.

As others have already said, a great bike for beginners, but more experianced riders should go for the Giant ATX series. Overall a good bike and would definitely recommend it to anyone new to the sport.

[Jun 30, 2000]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

The shocks are pretty good about 2 inches of travel and are just over beginner shocks. It has rapid Fire gear changers that dont take very long to switch the gears.

It has to be worn in and is better once you ride it awhile like most bikes.

the bottom line is it is a good sturdy bike with pretty good performence and it is a good city rider bike. Myself i live in a middle size city and it is good for road and grass and dirt

the GT Saddleback

[Jun 17, 2000]
Billy Dickinson

OVERALL
Strength:

good price good frame

brakes suck (upgrade to something anything is a improvement)

I bought this bike about a month ago at the local bike shop he gave me a killer deal on it $175 it was like new I put a rack and bags on it and shocks and i have yet to subject it to any real torture but ive rode it at least 10 miles a day and put over 100 miles on it and it hasn't done too bad its fast and will climb about anything. Its a good bike for entry level riders.

1995 Schwinn sierra se team

[Apr 12, 2000]
Dave Hilkemann

OVERALL
Strength:

Very inexpensive. I bought mine at a pawn shop for $175, and upgraded from there. Just a basic reliable bike.

A little heavy.

I really like my bike. Of course there are better bikes out there, but not for the price I paid. It works great for riding to work, and it also does a great job flying down a mountain single track. I'm completely happy with it. This is a great bike for anyone who doesn't have much spare change, but wants to hit the trails hard.

[Jan 05, 2000]
Andy T

OVERALL
Strength:

Good bike for first timer

it will break if you ride it like I did.

I bought this for just an around-town bike in the summer of '98 for a job I got in colorado. My boss was a mountain biker so I thought I should get a bike with shocks which is why i picked this one (i knew nothing about bikes back then). Well after a lot of abuse this bike has finally died basically. It lasted nicely for about 6 months, I just ride too hard. I still keep it around w/some of my old parts from my nice bike now. I now ride a $3,500 ibis and couldn't be happier. Go buy this if you are VERY new to the sport and dont expect to ride every day.

nothign this cheap :)

[Jun 15, 1998]
Dana
weekend warrior

OVERALL

A great first timers bike. Solid, dependable, $270 m.s.r.p. you can't beat it. Chromoly frame, aluminum wheels, spokes down tube and seat post. I road ride most of the time with an occational trek into the woods. If you are considering a mountain bike for day trips on and off the trail try a Rincon. I love this bike!

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.