Giant Iguana Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Giant Iguana 650

[May 08, 2015]
mountainbiker23

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability. Frame is absolutely bullet-proof, components lasted for a decade before I replaced them.

It's SO HEAVY.

This review is for a 1995 Giant Iguana, which I purchased new in 1995 for $425. I have now owned this frame for 20 years, and just had it powdercoated and rebuilt it from the ground up because 1) I am sentimental, 2) the frame is indestructible.

I learned to mountain bike on this thing (descents were brutal on that rigid fork), it then became my college commuter bike for 6 years (who is going to steal an Iguana? No one), then I rebuild it as a touring bike and took it on tours all over the West Coast (41" wheelbase carries loads well), and now it's being reincarnated as a 26" fat-bike / mountain touring rig. The OEM front wheel lasted 15 years, people. This frame is made with double-butted chromo tubing and is very heavy, but I'm sure it will easily last another 20 years. I wish it had a third set of braze-ons for another water bottle and a rear disc mount, but then again I could have bought a dedicated touring frame if I really wanted that.

If you are looking for a beater, a commuter, a 26" touring build, a loaner bike, an extracycle build, or some other utility purpose where weight isn't an issue, pick up an Iguana. They're cheap and bulletproof.

[Apr 25, 2010]
kickitup

OVERALL
Strength:

I've had my Giant Iguana for 17 years now. 93 Model. Full Cro Moly, Shimano Altus A20 crank, rapid-fire shifters, brakes, rear derailleur, Shimano C20 front derailleur. Great bike. A bit heavy, but it stays on the ground and gets me on down the mountain. The Cro Moly fork and frame seems to know what to do with the bumps and not bounce Iguana around. I've ridden the mountain bikes with the pogo stick front fork and all but the most expensive ones do nothing for me. My heavy old Iguana rides better and safer than them all. I don't ride the roughest trails but I've put this bike through enough to be impressed with how well it has held up. Other than tires, a new chain, pads, cleaning, tuneup, etc. nothing has gone wrong with my Iguana.

Weight.

This was a well made machine. I wish Mountain Bikes were still made like this one. I don't mind a little more style, but the gimmicky designs and features nowdays do nothing for me.

Owned a Raleigh Mountain Bike of similar design years ago but did not like it.

[Jan 25, 2010]
spspinella

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong CrMo frame, durable components

heavy, brakes failed within 10 years, minimal shock

I have to agree with all the other reviews. This bike has just kept going with very little maintenance for very many kilometers. It is heavy and now it's old, but my wife is very loyal, so when the neighbor wanted to sell the same model she was delighted to get another. I have to rate its overall rating low because it's now a very old, heavy bike. But she still outclimbs me. I think she should eat more.

This is our second Giant Iguana 950 (1996). We have many other bikes

[Jun 30, 2009]
DK

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything is amazing, its lightweight, durable, and gotta love the disk brakes, i have had this bike for like 6 years and have not had to change the brake pads yet.

All around amazing, i would recomend this bike to the greenest rider all the way up to the pro's.

I have ridden other giants, I think the rincon or something

[Jun 21, 2008]
deputydog

OVERALL

great bike for the buck!

[Jul 19, 1997]
Zac Champ

OVERALL

for 450 bucks the iguana se is an awesome deal. With a full butted cro moly frame and decent components including a rock shox fork the iguana is not a bike to look over for a average biker.

[Jul 19, 1997]
Neil Monteith

OVERALL

I bought one of these a couple of months ago as an entry level bike (paid A$650). It rides well and I have had no problems with any components. I have managed to pop three tires and bend a rim in the first couple of weeks of owning it - I don't know if its a rim problem?

[Jul 04, 1997]
madEG

update#2
er...rather, make that all alivio access on the bike,(the big A confused me...it doesn't look like the old alivio access...the newer cranks are more square in the arms) minus the stx rd and the cheesy altus hubs. doh! [i think that i am sitting too close to the monitor]over all, better than i thought.

[Jul 13, 1997]
Mike
cross-country rider

OVERALL

I have a '95 Iguana and have raced it for 2 years. I have taken many top 5 finishes in cross country and one first place in the first and only downhill race I entered. For the money it's a great bike, relatively light, responsive & durable. Mine doesn't have a front shock but it still rides fast, with just a little more upper-body abuse. I highly recommend this bike to anyone who is just getting into the sport and doesn't wanna spend a ton of money.

[Jul 09, 1997]
Magee

OVERALL

The Iguana is a good bike for a newbie to the sport. It's a nice package for the money, all the other models in comparison (Trek 850, Schwinn Mesa, Kona FireMountain) are either heavier or $60 to $70 more. the one thing that held it back from the 5th star is the crappy-ass hubs;Altus, get real. Overall for the 97 line, it's a winner.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.