Giant ATX 890 Bike 1998 or Older

Giant ATX 890

[Sep 29, 2018]
chris1003

OVERALL
Strength:

I have a 1995 giant atx 890 i bought this bike two years i was lucky enough to find one that was top of the line for the year all original right down to the brake pads the bike came with 24 speed and campagnolo stheno rims grip shifts it even had,them fancy silver shimano deore brake pad,cases barely any bikes came with hell it even had the original continental tires which i just changed this year weaknes of the bike that i can tell so far nothing i have not had to make any repairs to the bike since i bought it even the indy rock shox even still work ok next year im going to replace elastomers not out of need just cause i know it will make a difference and their cheap y not im super happy with this purchase and the icing on the cake is i only paid 95 dollars for it no negotiating that was the,asking price 😊 and ive owned many bikes over the years and this one is my fav the this bike confirmed to me newer isnt always better before this i had 2006 trek 8000 bought brand new in 2007 it was fully equipped for the year hydraulic disc brake,9x3 drivetrain oclv fiber frame cant remember the wheels but it was a custom trek 8000 asking price was 2,999 canadian and my point is i still think the giant is a better all around bike

No weakness as far as i can tell and i bike 50 or 60ks somedays

1995
[Feb 07, 2016]
Robert Jarrett

OVERALL
Strength:

The lightweight, under 3 pounds frame. 9 world championships were won by John Tomac, 1995, 1996 and 1997, bike designed for Cross Country with John Tomac help on the design, world championships were in Cross Country, Downhill and Slaloms. The lightweight makes accelerating great fun and speed is excellent with great bike control, handling is excellent.

ATX 890 was priced at $769 (1995), $1469 (1996) and $2269 (1997). Every year John Tomac won three additional world championships on this bicycle and the price was increased every year. as far as the weaknesses go are the junk derailleurs and shifters that shimano supplied. The cantilever brakes are not that good.

I

Raleigh 2004 SC 30 (comfort bike) nice bike in original setup, but not speedy enough. Lowered handle bars to flat, changed front crank and went with a 46T shimano biopace sprocket instead of the factory 33T. 21 speed original, changed to 9 speed spacers and changed gear setup to 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 21, 26, 32 for easier riding and 24 overall gears with Sram Dual Drive 3 speed hub. 9 speed shifter, and rear derailleur stops set to only use 8 sprockets.

[Oct 16, 2002]
Ben B

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, good looking. I found this baby on closeout/auction in 2000, and built it up accordingly as my first 'real' XC/free-riding bike.

Put a slight ding in the cross-tube during one of my early dead-elephants, but you'll have that! The seat post diameter is a little obscure (read:big), but I eventually found a steal on a nice Thompson to fit it.

As a relative newbie, I wanted to see how inexpensively I could build up a non-stock hardtail w/ decent components. Using auction and part closeouts, I managed to build this baby for around $650 to start, with the LX/XT build and a circa '97 judy. I now am going to beef it up a little for XC/light duty freeride cruising with the 'Zoch and discs.

Spec Rockhopper, GT Borrego (remember those?)

[Oct 02, 2002]
Paul Leaman

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame, climbs like a mtn goat, I have bent cranksets - but not this one!!

(me) downhill racing

Great Bike, but not for the mild-mannered or the timid rider. The rake is tight, and the frame is stiff.

[Nov 10, 2000]
Az Davies

OVERALL
Strength:

great frame, light and strong, brilliant for single track

crap formula cable disg brakes and livers.
judy xc forks were worn and unfixable after 6months.

good single trak , crosscountry bike but some crap components espesually the formula cable disg brakes

frame similaR to cannondales

[Apr 29, 2000]
Caleb

OVERALL

update on my last submition. Now into the 2000 racing season and had to put wheels on. The originals lasted 3 years. the frame is still going strong and all the componets are aftermarket. Still one of the best bikes.

[Apr 14, 2000]
Robert

OVERALL
Strength:

Very Very Light, excellent for climbing, great paint job.

Very thin wall for tubing, it's so thin that the rivets for the bottle bracket came off after my first ride. so I'm down with only 1 bottle bracket. Beware...I have to get rid of my 1-1/8" King headset 'cause the AXT890 has a slightly bigger oversized head tube. The stiff rear end also jumps a bit during downhill.

A lightweight frame built excellent for technical steep climbing, no major problems with this frame, overall I would think it still deserve a four hot chillis.

Marin Eldridge Grade

[Mar 01, 2000]
Tom Barry

OVERALL
Strength:

I've rode this bike for one year now and I love it. Full XT
with Judy XC front shock. Alum frame fairly light and fast, I have the scars to prove it.

Can't think of any.

The bike cost me $1800can. A great bike for the Weekend Warrior who wants to have a trouble free ride. The XT shifters are great, only had one problem with them and that was the lever for the back stripped the cams inside the housing, (was repaired under warranty).

Haro V-2

[Feb 02, 2000]
Caleb

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Bike real strong frame. I had an ATX 860 and broke the seat tube off of the bottom bracket tube, sent it to Giant and they sent me an ATX 890 for free.

NONE

The best bike i've tried next to the Specialized Rockhopper pro.

[Oct 11, 1999]
Chris Harris
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Shifters
Nice Brakes
Strong Frame
Good Finish on the frame

Noisy Front Brake

Awesome all around bike for off or on road. I am very impressed with what you get for the price!

Trek 830
Giant Selena

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.