Bridgestone MB-1 Bike 1998 or Older

Bridgestone MB-1

[Nov 05, 2012]
John Hill

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything. As the last poster said, it is amazing to do a review this late in a bikes life but I spent a long time picking which bike I wanted at the time and it is rare that you pick something that is so special, an incredible value, and lasts pretty close to a lifetime. Bridgestone tried to beat this bike with the MB-0 but didn't succeed.

I haven't had any problems. It still has mostly original parts. I think I rode it a year or two with the original fork and then went to a rock shox. I think that helped save the headtube and it effectively calmed the headtube angle just a little I think.

I bought the bike new, raced it rode it, abused it and it has never let me down. It transitioned with me to calmer riding and admittedly has not seen as much use recently as I went over to riding motorcycles. I'm in Argentina and thinking about bringing it down here on my next trip home.

I have ridden a bunch of newer full suspensions and granted if you pedal hard enough, they will go over anything. The MB1 requires you to pick a line but was and maybe is the best bike for doing that.

[May 11, 2011]
rkopald

OVERALL
Strength:

Uh...it's lasted twenty years. That's a loong time.

The front headset tube is too short, which has resulted in an ovalized head tube, rendering new bearing race installs impossible. The only flaw of this bike, but a huge one.

I know it's patently absurd to be reviewing a bicycle manufactured over twenty years ago, but seeing as I just replaced a 13 year old saddle, and I'm still riding this frame, I thought it's long past time to offer my opinions. ;)
I bought this bike NEW (I swear) in 1991 at Peak Sports in Corvallis. Within 5 months I had cracked the bottom headset cup after coming down off a jump at the bottom of Chip Ross Park. Since then, the headset has slowly ovalized with every replacement of the headset cups. I'm on number 6, but this bike aint jumping anymore. Since 2004 this has been "relegated" to a commuter and training bike.
Guess what? It's still going strong. It can still fly down hills like it's new. Sure, the front end is a little squirrelly due to the ovalized head tube, but it's completely manageable. And it's still comfortable and pretty springy. It's not as pliant as it was when it was new, but for road rides, fire roads, and commuting it's perfectly fine.
So: TWENTY YEARS OF SERVICE out of one frame. If I total the parts I’ve replaced (I’d guess around $4,000 over the lifespan of the bike, not including my new grips, bar ends, and my new Fizik saddle) and cost of ownership, I would estimate I’ve spent (highballing) 6K.. That’s 300 bones a year, or around 6 DOLLARS A WEEK. In 1991 dollars or 2011 dollars that’s not a lot of money. Plus, I still love to ride my MB1. A lot. I think I got my money’s worth out of it. It’s a damn shame that Bridgestone as it was back then isn’t around today, because I think they’d have a shot at making it now. They were a little ahead of the whole retro-grouch/sustainable thing.

[Sep 03, 2009]
C Keller

OVERALL

I was looking for a good, used bike. This was a trade in the guy had just gotten in, in great condition. Gave him $150 and took hit home the next day. I love it.

[Jun 17, 2003]
Alan

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a very responsive mountain bike that works well on the trail as well as city streets. It's light, strong and well built.

The worst part is I can't get a new one.

This is an excellent bicycle that is a lot of fun to ride. I have left fellow riders in the dust as the this bike jams uphill. The traction is excellent. On the street or trail the quick responsive geometry of the bike is a gas. The Ritchie crankset is very responsive, with very little side sway as I crank on the peddles. It truly powers ahead of the others. Overall, a great bike.

Bianchi, Raleigh, Rockhopper

[Mar 08, 2004]
Glen

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame and excellent componets

Bridgestone doesn't make them any longer.

I love this bike. I raced it for about 3 years when I bought it. Don't remember the year but it the first year Shimano went to a 7 speed.
People said the frame was somewhat delicate.
When racing I was 225lbs, now I'm over 250. It's still together, straight, and working fine. These bikes were made in an elegant way. Not the typcal, throw a bunch of extra steel and loose angles type of contruction. It's steep head angle makes it the narrow single track bike ever. I wish they still made this or were still around making even better bikes. Bridgestone was a large company that handled tself like a custom shop.

Nothing as good

[Dec 20, 2001]
Josef

OVERALL
Strength:

Still the best bike I've ever ridden since 1986.Super light,strong and fast.Ritchey Logic frameset with rigid fork.All Shimano XT with XT thumbshifters.Installed Specialized Ground Controls and the then new Sella Flite Ti Saddle.Kept much of it stock,with the original Ritchey and Shimano components.It was race ready right out the shop.My first ride was scary as this bike was very quick steering due to upright,racing angles.Very similiar to the Ritchey P-23 but much more affordable.A true mountian bike legend.Nothing else comes close,not even any Santa Cruz and I own one.

None.

The bike was stolen almost 7 years ago but if I see another,I will buy it.If I see mine,I'm stealing it back.It's worth it.

1999 Santa Cruz Chameleon,1990 Ritchey P-23,1992 Specialized Stumpjumper Team.1987 Stumpjumper Team built by Dave Tesch.

[Oct 22, 2001]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Tracks better than any bike I have ever been on. Great for single-track--the windier, the better. Solid construction (except look at weaknesses). Most original parts stayed on until the last few years. Looked good too.

Until it broke, none. September 1999 it finally broke on the downtube behind the lug. I think Bridgestone figured this out, and didn't make the lugs the same shape in future years.

The best all-around trail bike I have ever ridden. Even without a front shock, it was still smooth riding. Other MB-1 owners that beat their bikes to death had warned me, but I did not want to believe that it ever would break, but it did. I had planned to keep FOREVER (or until I die, whichever came first), but it ONLY lasted ten years (with most of them hard riding). The break was on the downtube behind the lug. From reading, I believe that Bridgestone realized the problem was the lug shape, so later years may not have this problem. Even with this possible break problem, I would probably buy a frame in good shape if I ran across one. I now ride a custom frame that was designed with the MB-1 geometry as the base, so it rides very well--but seems rougher than the MB-1 (custom frame is super strong with thick tubing to last, which may make it not as compliant). Anyways, if you love single-track, it would be the frame to have if you can find one.

Tried a bunch in 1989, but nothing rode like it. Now ride a custom Strong Racing hardtail and a Specialized FSR-XC.

[Apr 25, 2006]
Indigo

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame: I owned and rode this bike over 8,000 miles since 1989 - the frame feels as good as new. Geometry: What a handler, haven't encountered a trail it couldn't face up to. Ease of use and care: This is a do-it-yourselfer's dream machine - nothing that can't be fixed, changed or adjusted by the average biker without hassle. Almost mystic reputation: If you get spotted by fellow riders out on the trail you are sure to get some amazed looks and comments!!

Obviously the 'at the time appropriate' no suspension hardtail configuration (although it provides the best feel for the trail, it's set-up like a sports car as opposed to family sedan). The original handlebars, rims & hubs where heavy and soon out of date.

Will never sell it (unless a truly amazing offer is received). Owned it for 17 years and have to say this is by far one of the best mountain bikes one can own. To put it into perspective, this is likely to be the single most often and 'abused' posessions I ever owned - and it still performs as good as the day I got it some 17-18 years ago!!

1995 Specialized and 1996 Cannondale - nice but in reality: No comparison to the absolut overall usefulness of the MB-1. It is true allrounder that feels and handles right on any terrain.

[Jan 01, 2000]
Jon Muellner
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, reliable, balanced ride and handling. Perfect XC bike.

This is a dream bike for me. My 1987 model came with drop bars and even after 1000's of off-road miles is still solid. A real keeper.

Newer MB-1, MB-2

[Apr 18, 2001]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

It's now 12 yrs old w/ stock suntour XC Pro & Ritchey parts & still tears up the trail.

They don't sell them in the states anymore; 1" steerer makes it hard to upgrade(then again I haven't had to). I agree w/ the earlier post about Shimano's built-in obsolescence. F#@! shimano, they suck. Avoid at all costs if possible.

I've ridden this bike HARD for 12 years now. It's been raced, crashed & launched on everything from Austin to California & it's still going strong. It's outlasted 3 cars & too many girlfriends to count. Most durable thing I've ever owned. Enough said.

I ride a Bontrager these days, but am still holding on to my old friend the MB-1.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.