RST Gila-SL 2006 Front Shocks

[Nov 23, 2017]
Wael
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap fork

Weight 2 kg
Coil

I have bought a used bike, Wheeler pro 39, hydraulic disc brakes, some fancy things except the fork, bike was 70% damaged except the frame was good so i bought some new top parts and fixed all, regarding the fork it was not moving even, i will change it later but for now, i assembled it and cleaned the inside parts coil and clean degreas and regreased it , frankly i was surprised, it was almost new again, it can go now 100 mm no problem, its perfect now for light mountain biking, any way gonna set it on my 3rd street bike, bottom of line : this fork is old needs to be Service, suitable for regular use maybe for light mounting biking if you weight less than 70 Kg.

[Apr 25, 2015]
juicetan

OVERALL
Strength:

shiit shiit crap crap forks dunt even move crap shiit fuucking shiit

everydamn thang

they dont move on a ten foot drop off broke my damn wrist with this shiit

[Jul 20, 2013]
maddog mikey

OVERALL
Strength:

perfect for the new comer to the sport of mountain biking. true travel 30mm to 100mm. Can come with mechanical lock out which works fine.

I can not find any weaknesses

These forks are not that bad to be honest. the mechanical lock out system works fine if fitted with one, The travel in the forks are true and the adjuster does work fine. ok for budget forks they are very good and for the new comer to the sport these are more than perfect to do the job.

[Oct 14, 2012]
bryang
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Low-maintenance, consistent, heavier spring rate for big dudes, has both V and Disc mounts. Better than "Element" brand and similar crap at the same price point.

Heavy, no rebound adjustment to speak of (pogo stick), says "RST" on the side.

It is what it is I guess, an OEM boinger generally fitted on $300 bikes. Can't fairly compare it to ANY aftermarket piece, or downhill bomber, 'cause it just ain't in that league. What it does do quite well is to swap out on an old backup/beater/loaner/mudbike/SSmongrel type bike. You know the type-when yer exotic trailbike is down for service (yet again...) or when you just want to ride the knock-around machine. This fork fits the bill quite well, with zero maintenance, and a stiff spring rate for big guys. Ride quality ain't great, but it's fairly consistent and I've never bottomed it out.

Many RS, Manitou, Marzocchi, Pace, Rigid, etc....

[May 14, 2012]
cassava

OVERALL
Strength:

quite good

the preload doesn't work

I use this fork for about a month with 90% on road and 10% light off road riding. I'm not using it for dirt jump or downhill course. I ride on normal trail course or some kind like that but mostly on road. So far it's better than my older fork, Zoom 550, which has been broken out. It's quite good fork but I don't know about its durability and resistance since I'm just using it. I hope that it will be good for about next 3 years.

[May 27, 2011]
ElAbuelo

Everything!

This was the worst thing that happened to my bike and me... Only Like 30mm travel of the advertised 100, weights a ton, Super Stiff and the adjusters does not adjust a thing. Avoid this crap!!!

Marzzocchi Bomber, Sr Suntour

[May 22, 2011]
Bikachu

OVERALL
Strength:

Fork can be blocked, mount for disc brakes

There's no real absorbing. When I sit on the bike the just go lower.

This is my first MTB with front shocks. I did ride some hooger boogers, scots and cannondales thoug
In general,I'm a bit
disappointed with those Gilla SL's. The only good thing about them is, that they come with a button that turns off the shocks. I weight around 100kg and when the shocks are on, they just lower for about 5 cm. I can't even jump over the curbs with those shocks... Maybe they would work for someone that weights less, but for my 100kg they are meaningless.
They are on my bike that was like 200 euros second hand but mint condition. Now I'm aware that for that amount of money
they can be only as decoration.

[Apr 19, 2011]
ABBACABB

OVERALL
Strength:

The RST GILA had no real strenghs, the only thing it was good for was adding weight to my bike. I'll stay clear of all RST Products from now on.

Weaknesses? EVERYTHING ! ! ! ! Where it performed it's worst was when Breaking. If you're a fan of POGO STICKS, then its the shock for you. twice over the Handle Bars folks. the RST GILA IS THE WORST SHOCK I'VE EVER USED.

in the end if i were gonna rate the RST GILA between 1-10 i'd give it a negitive -20. So if your goal is to add weight and remove performance, the RST GILA is the shock for you. If someone tries to sell ya a RST GILA just tell them " No Thanks, I Can Throw Myself Over My Handle Bars and I Wont Cost Me $300 Bucks" It was however one of the finest POGO Sticks I've ever used, but as a bicycle shock.............complete crap

I replaced the P.O.S...i mean the RST GILA with the Rock Shox Dart3 same price but better performance and lighter weight

[Apr 18, 2011]
Shibby9

OVERALL
Strength:

No strengths

Everything.

this fork is no good. I really dont know much about bike components but i know one thing and that is this is a hunk of junk. 100mm thravel? i think not. you'd be better off with a rigid fork. Im dumping this P.O.S. and gettin a marzocchi dirt jumper 1 for about 250$.

[Feb 28, 2011]
excalibur1200

OVERALL
Strength:

Plush, great city fork, nice finish quality for the price, works with different steer tube sizes, pinch bolt clamps on steerer and crown...Hooray

Limited features, heavyish

RST haters beware, this fork is underrated, great for the money..Better than RC Dart 1 in my opinion. Great value basic fork with a nice quality finish, optional steer tubes from RST can work with 1" steer tube bikes with crappy Chinese pressed steel cheap forks - The only manufacturer I know of with this feature.. transformed a cheapie Walmart bike I owned into something much better!

Dart 1, Tora,

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.