Manitou Minute Two 2004 Front Shocks

Manitou's Minute line offers their new stable platform valve (SPV), one of the most sophisticated damping technologies ever developed. With SPV, your fork is extremely active, soaking up bumps, but highly resistant to pedal induced bob.

[Apr 22, 2012]
Patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

super smooth, controlled
light

had to rebuild once but has taken a beating
occasional clunk noise when rebounding

Top notch performance, less than perfect reliability

Judy Air, 03 Duke SL, 04 Bomber MX Comp, 10 Tora SL

[Feb 18, 2011]
racerpete

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic plush fork and unbelievably light for the amount of travel. SPV really does work when riden properly. Last forever!

Do not work so well on bikes that are not designed for long travel forks as they alter the steerer angle too much.

Simply the best for all mountain, not really made for XC racing. Best trail forks I've owned.

Rockshox

[Apr 05, 2004]
Clyde

OVERALL
Strength:

SPV works as advertised, it's light, plush, very tuneable, reverse arch is probably stiffer than putting the arch in front which is wierd, but true...EXCELLENT service manual available online - better than RockShox (which is good) and Marzocchi's (which is nonexistent...)

Hmmm... I'm noticing a little bit of oil caking on the stanchions during every ride which means that this fork will most likely require pretty frequent maintenance but that's pretty normal so, no complaints - just be sure to download the manual and have your tools ready. Also, when the SPV works best you're going to trade off some small bump sensitivity.

After having a great experience with Manitou's Swinger SPV rear shock on my big and burly AC, I decided that the technology worked and I would give the Minute Two a try for my new xc rig. You should probably know that I am the most finicky, "fork-sensitive" person in the world. It's kind of a running joke with my riding buddies. At any given time I will have the guts of several forks littering my shop as I try to figure out why they feel like crap. So, when I say I like one, you can generally rest assured that you'll probably like it too.

Anyway, after about 150 miles of rocky, Colorado singletrack, I can unequivocally say that this is a great XC / light trailbike fork. I don't think that SPV or inertia valving makes as much difference up front as it does in the rear (insert wiseass comment here)but I definitely felt faster on the flats with this fork. Once you stand up and hammer, the SPV means nothing. Steering precision is actually better than I expected from a 30mm fork. Stiffness is adequate for aggressive XC. Hard side deflections - like when you bang up the side of a rut at speed - don't seem to faze it. Very nice.

I'm 205 lbs. and have this fork set up with 85 psi in the SPV and 115 in the main chamber. The difference of 5 psi on the SPV side (red) makes a huge difference on the trail. If I ride anything less, the SPV is gone - anything more and I give up a little too much on the small, quick chatter bumps. The fork uses a good amount of it's travel well but, like any air fork, it will pack up at the bottom of the stroke. Still, this fork feels very good and very predictable - no hard ramping, no bounce.

Also of note, Manitou has really upped their game with their web support. They now have easy to read, full-color manuals with pics available online so you can confidently service your own fork.

I'll post again in a month or two. There's a Moab trip coming at the end of this month. If something's going to blow up, it usually happens here. We'll see how it holds up.

This is my first SPV fork but the plushness reminds me of my old 1999/2000 SID 100 - the best 4 inch air fork ever - until possibly, this one. Other air forks I have ridden extensively are DUKES, SIDS, PSYLO Race (good fork, ugly color), Manitou XVERT Air (crap), 2000 Marzocchi Z.1 X-Fly and 2003 Z.1 FR SL (both crap)FOX FLOAT 100 (good but overrated)and there are others...

[Apr 26, 2004]
Sean

OVERALL
Strength:

-SPV is awsome
-it looks good.
-nothing to fancy shmancy
-really lite for a 100mm fork
-smokes the skareb any day
-great cutsomer service

-getting the spv right kinda annoyed me cause im a impatient man (but i called manitou and they helped out)

THis fork is a very good buy. The SPV is flawless (once you get it right) and the SPV in the rear works well in relation to the fork. Its really lite so all you weight watchers can breath a sigh of reliefe. If you go on rocky/sandy/bumpy single tracks and fire roads this fork is awsome. YOu can climg up with ease and come down like a bullet. Plus the customer service is great, they dont hassle you at all.

[Feb 13, 2004]
DirtEater

OVERALL
Strength:

Got a good deal from Jenson USA. I could have gotten it a little cheaper, but they gave me free shipping and a FREE Chris King headset.

I got this fork yesterday, got the steerer tube cut down and mounted to the frame, then when I went to mount my front brake caliper, the threads inside the bottom post mount sheared completely off at about 50-60 in-lbs of torque. These screws are supposed to be torqued to 110 in-lbs as per Hayes instructions. I was tightening the screw and it just stopped getting any tighter, when I pulled the screw out, the threads were clogged with the aluminum from the fork's threads. I was the ideal definition of pissed off.

I will contact Answer/Manitou tomorro to find out what they will do to remedy the situation. I will post another review after all is said and done and I actually get to try riding the fork.

I'm not going to discourage anyone from buying one of these forks, they are built well and the previous two reviews speak of their great performance. The first thing I noticed when I opened up my fork was the attention to detail.

I'm sure I just got a bad fork that slipped through QA, I just wantedto bring attention to this so that anyone getting one of these forks makes sure their caliper is solidly mounted. Brakes are important, half way down the hill is a bad time to find out you don't have them!

Fox RLC, RockShox SID, couple others

[Apr 26, 2004]
Dirt Eater

OVERALL
Strength:

Very plush, when adjusted properly (using the special socket that comes with it to adjust the red cap) you'll never feel it bottom out. I have been playing around on some jumps and had friends tell me I bottomed out, but didn't feel a thing. However after looking at the fork, the tell-tale line of grime on the slider was within 1/8" of the crown. THe SPV is wonderful, but a little touchy due to the small air volume, one you find your sweet spot though, it is simply beautiful to ride.

This is actually a follow up to an earlier post where I noted an issue with the post style disc brake mounts getting stripped. Thank God for my LBS, because the Answer customer service was worthless. The LBS cleaned up the threads that were left and gave me some longer screws which have worked with zero problems. The threads on the SPV shraeder valve are aluminum and recessed so that some shock pumps won't work, mine stripped these threads too before I noticed, $30 for a new part. Of course the instructions say to only use Manitou's shock pump, but I figgured that this was one of those thing companies say about their products, like how Shimano says that you can only use Shimano shoes with Shimano pedals and how Easton says that their seatpost must be installed by a qualified bicycle mechanic. If having their shock pump was that important it should be included with the shock -- almost $600 for a fork, you would think they could afford to include a $5 or $10 pump.

I am very pleased with the performance of the fork it is worth the money. But I am not impressed with some of the design points. Threads should not be made of aluminum or magnesium or any other soft metal, using a thin steel threaded insert for the post moounts would have almost no weight penalty, same with making the two shraeder valves of something harder or at least not making them difficult to get to. Hopefully these are just some bugs that will be worked out after this first production year for the '05 model. As I stated before, Answer's customer service needs some work too, if you cant deal directly with the people you're selling to, you shoudn't even call it customer service.

Fox RLC, SID, couple others.

[Jan 19, 2004]
j-unit

OVERALL
Strength:

-reallllly plush
-super-adjustable (SPV, main air chamber, rebound)
-no need for lockout when riding flats
-130mm at only 3.6 lbs
-super-durable anodized and lazer-etched finish
-soooooo stiff

only ridden for over a month, but after about a dozen trailrides, some pretty big stair sets, and a few 3-5' ledges, this fork is flawless.

this fork is nasty. i'd never be able to afford one if i didn't get a great deal on my 55 from my lbs, so if you have the $ it'd be wise to check out the minute, as it is a fair bit lighter than the fox talas or vanilla. if the new clique "all mountain" applies to the way you ride and you want a fork that truly can do it all, from light racing/road riding to light freeriding, this is the fork.

2002 rock shox psylo sl, 2000 rock shox sid xc, 2001 manitou mars race

[Dec 30, 2003]
45 ACP

OVERALL
Strength:

SPV tuning, very stiff, smooooooth

I don't like the post style disc caliper mount.

Once you figure out the air pressures, this fork is great! My Vanilla is crap (constant oil leak), and the Rock Shox offerings don't fare well for us Clydes. The Minute stroke is smooth, the seals don't leak, the legs are stiff enough to hold a line, and the customer service had been trouble free (ordered the firm ride kit). Really nice match for any SPV rear shock.

Vanilla 125, Manitou 1, 4, SX-Ti, Judy.

[Mar 10, 2004]
Pstar

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Stiff and tuneable as can be. I have the 100ml travel set and cant fault them yet, plus they look hot!

These forks do all thats promised and more, set the presures and you're all go! Forget about travel adjustments on the fly, seems a waste of time to me! The SPV is a dream when climing but they still seem supple when ramping through rock gardens. I found my initial set up was super smooth with the red compresion adjuster right in but tweeking it out makes a difference, as now they really firm up near the end of the stroke. Basically they do as promised!! I did look at the 130's but the angles of the bike turns it into a Harley! If your bikes set up for long travel go the 130's you will notice the difference straight away when manualling/floating sections. Not to mention the climbing!!! Still super stiff and negates the triple clamp option for freeriding (you cant beat it for weight!). Seriously if your looking to upgrade forks performance wise, you cant go past the Minute 2's.

Black Elites 100-120, Manitou Carbons, Rock Shoks Duke Uturn(S**T!).

[Apr 09, 2004]
Bob Foote

OVERALL
Strength:

This fork is very light and smooth. I purchased it off of Ebay since it came off of a brand new bike that was dismantled for parts. It is the 100mm travel version and I was quite glad that I did not get the longer travel one. My bike is a Giant Rainier and the head angle got a little more slack when I installed this fork. It does not affect my riding any in the steering area though. I love the smooth and plush travel right from new. Unlike coil spring forks and cheaply sealed forks, you don't need to break in the seals or spring by riding it forever. It handles bumps superbly while stll controlling the pedal bob motion. It takes some trial and error to set the fork up the way you want, but you can do it easily and consistently.

The only weakness that I have noted is the blue aluminum rebound adjustment know on the lower leg feels sloppy. It really should have a shalf made of steel or an alloy instead of plastic. I would be willing to sacrifice having a fork a few grams heavier if it made the rebound adjustment feel more solid and substantial. For this small flaw I will take away one Chili for overall rating

If you are looking for a smooth, light fork for all around riding ( nothing too crazy ) then this fork will outperform your expectations. It is a well designed fork without the gimmick of adjustable travel, but the useful technology of Stable platform valving.

The fork that came on my bike originally was a Manitou Axel Super. That fork was not too bad, but it is a night and day difference from the Axel to the Minute 2

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.