Manitou Axel Comp 2004 Front Shocks

All new for 2004, the Axel family is designed to provide new levels of high performance and high value. Features include 28.6 mm stanchions, convertible travel, hydraulic damping and a Manitou RA casting for ultimate stiffness without extra weight.

[May 30, 2011]
Paully7

OVERALL
Strength:

It holds my wheel

It is way to stiff.I go off a 3 foot jump, land on flatland and it uses under half the travel of the fork...

Do not get this fork the only reason that I still have it is because I can't afford a new one At the moment but hopefuly by the end of the summer I will be able to buy a marzocchi 66!

Marzocchi 22

[Oct 05, 2010]
Chitown Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great shock absorbancy! Lockout adjustment makes this shock very versatile for both trail riding and city riding. Love being able to change the the compression on the fly to suit my riding style and location.

Fluid changes and maintenance on it can be a pain at times. Have to make sure that the compression/lockout adjustment is tight enough otherwise you will get a constant bouncy ride.

Bottom line is that this is a great & versatile shock for the money! Mine came with my bike when I bought it and I rode all over Germany when stationed there with no problems. I like that these can support big riders like me (6'5" 265 lbs) as I use my bike a lot to get around and in conditioning for rugby. I love the compression/lockout adjustment especially when riding here in the city because you never know what will pop up especially with all the road construction or trail maintenance.

DuoTrak 7001; DuoTrak 9001

[Apr 19, 2010]
Attitude XX

OVERALL
Strength:

Not much

Spring adjustment is horrible hardly moves even off a landing of a jump do not buy unless you want a fork that only has about 10mm of travel!!

don't buy it

other manitou forks

[Sep 18, 2005]
N.B.GAS

OVERALL
Strength:

This is for the AXEL COMP 100mm...has'nt bottom'd out...
Didnt have to add kit...Price was right...A little flex with
V's, but a booster took care of that! Travel adjuster works!

NO LOCK-OUT...

This fork works! Maybe the 80mm version SUCKS! But the 100mm
worked just fine and only gets better after brake-in period.
SO SHUT-UP and BUY ONE!!!

TIME TO RIDE! ...PEACE...

5 FOR COST........4 CAUSE IT IS WHAT IT IS!.................

ROCK-SHOX: JETT, JUDY...RST OMEGA SL 100mm...

[Mar 04, 2004]
Susuk

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth and bottomless after 100mm conversion, available firm spring kit is just right for a 185-pounder like me, rebound damping works pretty well

Factory springs are way too soft, notchy and easy to bottom out at the 80mm setting, no rebound damping adjustment except by oil weight, internals are mostly soft, cheesy plastic, no available documentation for 80->100mm conversion (the instructions for the 2003 version aren't the same)

I was ready to chuck this fork out in favor of something different ... it came with my Rockhopper, and a few runs on some rooty singletrack made me curse at its penchant for bouncing and bottoming out at the slightest drop. Its extreme softness also made the front end of my bike exceptionally unstable.

However, the Internet came to my rescue once again, and saved my wallet the pain of forking out (pun intended) for new front suspension. Upon learning that the shock was easily converted to a longer 100mm travel and that there were firm spring kits available, I decided that $20 and a bit of elbow grease wasn't too steep a price a pay for a little experimentation.

The firm spring went in easily enough. However, my frustration began when I discovered that the 80 to 100mm conversion procedure Answer gives on their website is only applicable to the 2003 Axel. I ended up ripping the entire damn thing apart to get at the adjustment clips, only to be greeted by fragile plastic bits that could only be pried off by brute force applied with a pair of pliers. All I can say to the folks willing to go through with this mess is to be the hell careful - one false move, and the whole thing is toast. Two hours of cursing and grease-slinging later, it was done.

The results were spectacular. All of things that drove me nuts about the fork were no longer problems - if the fork lasts, I'd be happy to use it until the bike fell apart. It's now smooth, well damped, nearly bottomless, and pleasantly firm even with a porker like me sitting on top of it.

Anyway, if you're finding your Axel Comp to be a little less than spectacular, try doing the conversion and replacing the spring before spending beaucoup bux0rs on something different. Just be gentle.

[Jan 15, 2006]
Rodrigo Stefoni

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks Good

Its too soft,

The fort is definitelly too soft. I ride the weekend on normal MTB trails and this fork is driving me nuts. It bounces all around. I am definitelly going to try to upgrade to 100mm or to harder spring, but i dont think I should start fidling with a fork just after few weeks of purchase. Hope it gets better after the upgrade.

Just one flamin chilli.

RST Mozo Pro

[Dec 30, 2003]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

It looks like a big boy shock with great stickers.

It's mushy like a marshmallow and makes my bike ride like a Winabego.

I weight 175 and this is absolutely the worst fork ever. It is too soft. When I ride my bike bobs up and down with each stroke and my lizard skins squeak. I am going to put my 6 year old Rock Shock Judy back on. I'd return it if I hadn't cut the stem. I've e-mailed Answer products to find out where I can get stronger springs....we'll see! If they are smart they will have a post purchase crisis team assembled for this problem. They've lost this customer. I should have read the reviews for the 2003s.

Rock Shock Judy XC and other Manitou forks.

[Mar 10, 2004]
Craig

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks and price

Spring installed from factory to weak. Checked on firmer spring with Answer Products, did not list extra firm spring for this fork, called me back with a ride kit number that would work. Had to order it through local dealer. Could not use 80mm to 100mm adjuster after installing an extra firm spring, had to use the metal cap supplied with the $30 kit. (top of spring to small in diameter to use adjuster, alot smaller). After changing the spring I noticed my fork had a lot of dead space at the top of its rebound travel and made a banging noise. Had to have my local dealer add a shim for $15 (Spring was to short), still makes banging noise but not as loud.

Spent $135 total on this fork. Should have saved my money and purchased the better fork I had looked at,cost on it was $185.
It is a good fork for the weekend rider under 170 lbs. Not so good for myself, a daily year around cross country rider at 6'1" 205 lbs.

Rock Shox Judy

[Jan 03, 2004]
Andy

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Value.
Easy to switch spring.
Easy to maintain.
Can adjust rebound externally.
Stiff.

Stock springs were way too soft. I weigh 195lbs. Within first week I switched to the firm spring. Very easy to do though and made the fork lose its mushy feel.

No lockout, then again sub $100

For the price this is a great fork. I can't expect more from a < $100 fork. I did have to spend an extra 25 on a firm spring (that's why the 4 for value). Fork makers should realize that not all riders are not all 160 pounds and start to offer forks with different springs. Yet, it was extremely easy to install the new spring.

I always judge a product by weather or not I would buy it again given the opportunity. In this case, for the same price, I would purchase it.

Overall a 4, no lockout and things can always get better.

Rock Shox Quadra 10, Judy XC, Manitou Spyder

[Oct 26, 2006]
tru biker

OVERALL
Strength:

No problems still after a year+, riding in bad weather and winter, daily use. No leaks, nice sound when rebounding ;) Makes the job done. Things like riding down the steps a bit difficult but possible.

I'm 75 kgs and feel it to be way too hard with no chance of softening the fork. Eats bumps okay, does not "fill the gaps" however, often it's unpleasant. I often do the stoppie and the fork starts to get tired of it :) so it's not very stiff down there. Shortening travel from 100 to 80 should not affect the stiffness, but it does. Due to internals fork gets uncomfortably hard in cold.

This OEM fork has driven over 7 000 km by now, all kinds of weather were approached. Always serviced on time, lubricating etc. and the fork does not seem to be decreasing its performance. Always revitalized after fresh lube.

Do not expect too much and it won't fail. Well, I could recommend it... but, you know, better save some money and get some better stuff... especially in my quite a good bike Axel Comp is definitely the weak point. I'm replacing it soon with a kick-ass 66 or similar one.

none to speak of

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.