Specialized Hardrock 2003 Hardtail

[Jun 29, 2013]
Stephen Smith

OVERALL
Strength:

Rugged and indestructible frame, comfy riding position, easy to upgrade.

Front suspension

I got this bike brand new in April 2004, and fast forward to now, June 2013 I can honestly say that this bike has been amazing. I was a poor student when I got it, so I settled for the sport edition which from memory cost about £350. Aside from usual wear and tear such as tyres, brakes and the bar end rubbers it has aged well. Only recently have I had the gears replaced after all these years of commuting and light trails.
The front suspension is the weak point, it was obviously a cheap component and never really amazed me, but still worked well enough over all these years.
I was going to buy a brand new bike recently, but instead I decided to get my trusty hardrock re sprayed, put some continental sport contact 26 x 1.6 road tyres on it and a trigon rigid carbon fibre front fork and now this is a very capable street racer and I still have a spare set of wheels in the garage with some off road tyres if I fancy a "dirty weekend".
Love this bike and it will love you back!!

[Jan 27, 2012]
Corporal Punishment

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame is unbreakable.

I bought this as a junker and replaced basically everything on it (that wasn't the original plan, but you know how it goes ;) ). I can't comment on most of the parts because I didn't use them much, but the frame is truly unbreakable. I stripped the paint to repaint it and you can see that this thing is way overbuilt. It has taken all the abuse I've ever given it. There is nothing I could do while riding that could break this thing before breaking my body.

It's one kick ass bike! 5/5 chilis - frame only.

[Sep 26, 2011]
caid

OVERALL
Strength:

frame, crank, geometry, headset, BB, if i was a normal person the fork would still be good, and the rims are alright, transmission.

fork kinda, rims are alright, seat.

im liking it so far. had it a month and the fork met its demise on the fist day of ownership after a 180 that about sent me home with a high pitched voice and a lazy disposition. steer tube and crown are both toast. lowers are fine. frame is fine, headset is fine, front rim is ok. back rim is tweaked a little bit (3mm). i do XC, am, urban freeride, park, and 4cross. yes i do it all with v-brakes and a judy, but im just that cool. or crazy! the shifts are smooth, the crank is nice and straight, the gears are straight, the chain is rusty, the derailure tried to eat my finger. its a really nice build platform aswell. parts can turn this bike into anything. swap the forks, rims, and seat for your needs!! buy one and you wont regret it. this bike holds up to me, who has destroyed RS jett, judy, bombers, manitous, and DT swiss forks, trek frames, and the like, tweaked triple walled sunrims, ect. 175 lbs, 6' tall.

marin hawk hill, salsa ala carte's, trek 7500, trek 4500, trek 8, gary fisher opie, gary fisher Xcaliber, klein of some kind.

[Oct 05, 2010]
emraldgtr1

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong frame.

None yet.

Purchased a Specialized Hardrock Cr-Mo on craigslist for $150.00. The frame is really strong. No problems with the factory components but will eventually upgrade. Previous owner had worn out the stock grips so I upgraded to the Specialized Enduro XL grips. Saddle was somewhat comfortable in my 2-3 hour rides but swapped it out for a WTB Speed V. Rode the bike for 300+ miles with no problems. An overall dependable entry level bike.

[May 28, 2010]
Rachel

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, shocks, brakes

Derailer, Saddle

I've been using this bike for about 8 years now and I still love it. It's taken a lot of abuse and never left me stranded out in the woods.

The brakes need to be adjusted from time to time to prevent squeal, but that goes for any bike. I still have the original tires which are amazingly still in good shape, and I just recently upgraded to a new derailer. The original derailer was ok, it never got completely hung up, but it would "hesitate" from time to time which was a little annoying, but not so much that it kept me off the trails.

Love the weight and frame, feels solid underneath me. I did switch out the saddle when I first bought it. The original was like sitting on a brick.

Recently rode a Haro ICS 4.0 while my Specialized was being tuned up and couldn't wait to get my bike back. The fit and feel was just not as good.

For the price I paid, I have no complaints about this bike whatsoever.

Haro ICS 4.0

[Apr 29, 2009]
SPARKY

OVERALL
Strength:

I've never had one problem with this wonderful bike. I haven't done anything to it ever, I've had it for more than 12 years. Shifting is easy and flawless. Does good up hills and in sandy and rough soil.

None. I've never had a problem with the original tires either.

I would recommend it.

None, have only used cheap store bikes.

[Feb 15, 2009]
Anonymous
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Frame, Good Tires and Rims. Good Breaks for the money

Derailer, Seat for sure, Front Suspension hardens up considerably 35 F degrees and cooler

This is a great bike for those looking to take there beginer experience to the intermediate level. Some detailed components could use improvements, but its a great bike for the money. Frame is amazing.

DiamondBack Responce Sport

[Oct 31, 2008]
Vince

OVERALL
Strength:

Very hard to destroy! Decent front fork. Great shifting for a budget bike. Also the breaks are easy to keep working at 100%.

Stiff front fork at first anyway. Can't use tires over 2.1 on gravel or mud.

This is my final update on this bike. Bought this bike new in June 2003 and have ridden the tar out of it over the years. I live in a very wet part of Oregon and I’m very very hard on bikes. Amazingly this bike is still in one piece. For a bike that cost me only 330 bucks it has out lived all my expectations BY FAR!!! I ride thousands of miles a year. Most of it is on gravel roads with some time spent on trails and pavement. All the important bits still work like new. Alas she dose need a major tune up. I am amazed that I have not tweaked the bottom bracket or headset bearings with all the wet rides I do. The bearings are sill silky smooth and tight. Buy the bike! Just make sure the fork is in decent shape.

91' specialized stumpjumper, 93 specialized hardrock, 94 specialized stumpjumper, 94' mongoose amplifier, 03' specialized hardrock, 2007 Santa Cruz Blur LT

[Jun 17, 2008]
Ron Jarvis

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame, decent components for the money

None so far.

An excellent bike for the money. A solid trail riding bike; does well zipping over potholes, gravel, dirt, light brush, dried lava beds, neighbor's dog, etc. I would recommend this bike to anyone entering the sport. When my kids get a little older and out grow their P-O-S department store bikes, I'll seriously look into buying more "Specialized" products.

MTB 6, Schwinn, Mongoose, Giant,

[Jun 11, 2008]
flowjoe100

OVERALL
Strength:

Very strong feel to it, even if abit heavy feeling sometimes. Good feel at speed and pinpoint handling on a light trail. Strong brakes and slick gearchange although it has worsened slightly since new. Comfortable saddle and riding position. Ive found it to be good on the road and for commuting.

Rattles occasionally, crankset needed dismantaling and cleaning, I will replace this eventually. The fork is not bad for the price but not suitable for serious riding.

A decent enough bike, good for starting out and then upgrading as time progresses.

Gary Fishers and Marins

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.