RockShox Judy TT 2003 Front Shocks

Adj: Preload

[Oct 09, 2018]
CPB

OVERALL
Strength:

This thing is bomb-proof. I ride my bike with this fork on all manner of roots, jumps, and drops and it is as good as when I first got it. The preload adjuster for once is actually functional. I can firm that fork up to DJ stiff or somewhat plush. That is not always a given on a fork this cheap. It can take big hits without bottoming in the plushest setting because of its highly progressive travel.

While this is a great fork it does have its problems. I have noticed some front to back flex when I brake hard or hit some gnarly roots. This could be solved with thicker stanchions and lowers but that would up the price. One inexplicable weird thing has been happening though. In cold Michigan weather, this thing will get so stiff it is almost useless. As soon as it warms up it goes back to plush. Because I ride a lot in the winter I am looking to get a Recon Silver TK. The last complaint while I am a lighter rider, this thing is unnecessarily stiff. It will not soak up any small hits fully. It helps but I think I could benefit from a lighter spring. It is a bit heavy too but still a great fork.

Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2003
[Mar 07, 2015]
mtbrocker

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, reliable and trouble free.

Too rigid for everyday cruising.

Mostly use this bike - an older Haro Vgf - for city commuting daily back and forth to work, and light trail riding. Strong forks but need to upgrade to something that can handle jumping up and down curbs and light trail jumps, as the old body can't take the absorbing. Need a basic direct replacement fork that is a bit more forgiving. Any ideas? Thanks

[Jun 30, 2012]
L3ONNOEL

OVERALL
Strength:

Very reliable fork. Ive been using it for 9 years and never serviced them. I have even used them for some jumping and they work fine

No adjustments, very rigid

No use buying these forks because they are so old, get something new

[Apr 14, 2012]
nate
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

ajustable

none that i saw

love them all the way around they did great no matter where i went:)

[May 12, 2011]
Alighieri
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

looks durable and is durable, price-value, it ages like wine, I have the idea that it never got weaker or got worn out after more than 10 years I've used it. great paintjob!

the plastic adjustment knob has NO USE exept hurting fingers after trying to turn it in cold weather, also in good weather you might as well forget about adjusting the thing, I never felt a difference in stiffness.

after reading the comments it seems to me some, or maybe a lot of poor-performing, bad quality Judy TT's got sold...
maybe they had a lot of production errors? anyhow, I got lucky, I've done a lot of rally's (beachraces, as wel as abusive downhill forest tracks) in the past with these shocks, I got my bike at the age of 16 or something, that was 13 years ago, there were no shocks available for bikes at that time where I lived, not unless you wanted to spend a fortune. I got the shocks a few years later, I guess at the age of 18, 19... approx. 10 years ago... I still use them today, not as frequently, but still, they never let me down. I did bottem them out a couple of times, but then again, I did give them a lot of abuse (:downhil foresttracks littered with huge treeroots, rocks,...) I needed stiff, solid shocks, and I am under the impression that even after 10 years they didn't soften up the slightest bit!! my bike looks old now but my Judy TT's still look brand new and the paint never got chipped!
I'm sure there are a lot of better (also more expensive) shocks out there, but to me, the Judy TT stands out!

suntour crap, marzocchi..

[Jan 31, 2010]
vermontobahn

OVERALL
Strength:

Disk brake mounts, stiff 80mm of travel and I can stuff my 26x2.5 in there.

Center hoop snaps easy on down hills, good for XC & trails.

Free

[Sep 12, 2008]
grim

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap and strong. Spares easily available and fork easy to dismantle, clean and rebuild. Do that twice a year and you won't have any problems.

Weight.

Excellent fork as long as you don't use it for regularly dropping off cliffs. Use it within its limitations and it will perform extremely well and last ages. Stiff, but that's what I like :o)
Servicing is easy.
You wouldn't use a static rope for rock climbing!

marz etc

[Jul 15, 2003]
Andrey Shamardin

OVERALL
Strength:

+ low price of product(~$100)
+ enough travel for rough cross country riding
+ adjustable preload

- not much travel
- toooo heavy

Good fork for this money! Greate performance at all! But Judy C - better ;)

RST Capa TL, Suntour XC 75/60

[Jul 13, 2003]
Dave Janovetz

OVERALL
Strength:

Works well for the price. keeps the front wheel planted, has survived the average jumps and drops fond on the local trails as well as one insane jump in a friends back yard and doenst complain.

a lil heavy but its cheap what do you ppl want???

a lot of ppl complain about it but its not that bad of a fork. its not a big hit fork but it works well for me on the local trails. it hasnt done anything weird after 3 foot drops and 50 hours of trail riding. i wouldnt buy it for my bike but it came stock and i cant complain.

bombers, older judys, and a used sid.

[Jul 13, 2003]
sie dico

OVERALL
Strength:

hasnt snapped, no flex

not much travel