Orange EvO2 2002 Hardtail

[Apr 13, 2009]
Montytian

OVERALL
Strength:

bought this frame at ebay, I love its colour, they don't make any more fresh green frame at all, do they? well it's an old frame but it will fit all newest components, beautifully jointing and tubing at every bit.

rear disc brake hose guide on top tube---not a good design, you have to disassemble the hose to fit into it, which means you have to re-bleed.

true british classic !!!!!!

1998 Giant ATX HT frames.

[Apr 01, 2004]
Terence Hudson

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame, drivetrain, wheels amd bar. Great lightweight croos country bike for me and takes hits in its stride.

Headset is very poor will replacing it soon even though its only six months old. Seatpost was worse - snapped saddle bolt mid downhill. Tyres not suited either for me.

I really do love this bike - the seat post problem was very nearly a huge pain in the ass - literally!
As yet the front LX mech is holding out - which can't be said for my Kona but he's older.
Got the bike direct from Orange and they were very good - paid £750 for a show bike that was easy worth a grand given the extra fork upgrade and disc upgrade.

Kona Chute 99 - Still a babe but almost too big for those 30 mile XC runs. Maybe I'm just a wimp. My Chute is still my fave plaything tho - I can throw that off and at owt and it just carries on.

[Oct 12, 2002]
Stephen Stokes

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff, strong frame. Good colour (snot green)

This is a very light weight and strong XC + trail frame. A nice stiff ride, with little or no flex. this frame is a great racer as I often use it in MTB races + for cyclo-cross. I would reccomend this frame to any one who is a fast and smooth rider, in this way you can use the potttential of the bike to the max.

specialized hot-rock

[Oct 05, 2002]
Graeme

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value. Good component specification.
I have the disk brake version.

Nothing major, but the LX front mech seems a bit sketchy.
Might need to upgrade to XT.

As I new rider, I went for a hardtail because I expect to do a lot hillclimbing.
It's a good climbing machine.
I changed the stem and grips to try to cure a carpal tunnel syndrome problem on the descents.
That's not a reflection on the bike.
Geometry wise, it seems a mid point between a road bike and full suspension unit.
Weighing 220 pounds, I will have to upgrade the spring in the Manitou fork as it's set up for a mid weight rider.
Good for climbing and cross country.
As for jumping, it's not built for that kind of thing but if you don't go looking for big air, it can cope with general trail stuff.

Specialised Rockhopper FS1 disk.

[May 08, 2007]
Richard Savage

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent brakes, Excellent frame, and a joy to ride.

Soft forks and uncomfortable seat.

Great bike,no breakages yet,feels very strong and capable.

[Nov 13, 2002]
Philip Mitchell

OVERALL
Strength:

Good British brand. Does exactly what it says on the tin. This is my first MTB since childhood and I can now cut the mustard quite well. The Avid Mech Disc brakes are a brilliant introduction to Disc stopping power without too much expense or maintenance.
As in the other reviews it is a really rewarding bike to ride although I did find a little flex in the frame when giving it some welly!

The cheap headset that Orange use is a cost-cutter, but it lasted a year and I've now got a Hope XC sealed headset - job done. I'd agree with the other review's because my LX front mech just got worse and worse.
However; I would recommend the '02 XTR front mech with the independent pin for pulling the chain - superbly smooth, although XTR prices speak for themselves.

For the money the best ride you'll get for a ALU HT. I would personally recommend upgrading the headset and F/Mech when buying. Orange are very good with point of sale upgrades and these are listed in their catalogue/price sheet.

Specialised Stumpjumper Comp FSR and HT - belong to friends.

[Mar 19, 2003]
tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Good Looking, light and very agile. Its light enough to be tossed around and pointed to where you want to go but can also take the hits.

None so far

This is exactly what Orange says it is, a play bike. You can pretty muchdo anything u like with it, a light build for XC or a beefier set up for FR and light jumps. This bike simply glides through singletrack and bombs downhill. Exremely confidence inspiring and versatile. Buy one!!

Orange e3

[Apr 03, 2003]
Matt W

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight yet really strong (my custom build weighs 23.5lb), cool chunky looks (love the huge downtube), disc cable guides as standard, rides too well- stable at high speed but manueverable for twisty stuff, nice tidy welds and good attention to detail- even has proper Crud Catcher bosses for us Brit riders who actually get muddy!

not 100% sure if the frame is properly corrected for 100mm forks- I run 80mm forks and its OK, but my mate has 105mm forks on his and the front is a bit too high. Thats it tho!

Quite simply, the best hardtail frame that I have ever ridden. I bought the frame and specced all the bits myself so it cost a bit more than the standard bike but it was definately worth it with that sweet frame- some frames aren't worth upgrading but the ev02 is worthy of a much higher spec than orange sell it with. Those big meaty chainstays mean it accelerates off the line real fast- good for those races where theres a sprint for the first corner bottleneck! Its a pretty light frame for the money (£375 frame price) so you can build it up as a full on XC rig but not worry about it snapping when you go for a mess around at the local jump site. All in all, a classy bit of kit, and not too common so you'll stand out from all the Specialised's and Canondales you normally see at races!

Trek 6000, Marin Eldrige Grade, Merlin MALT 2, Giant Escaper

[Oct 06, 2004]
Tony Calder

OVERALL
Strength:

Does everything I can (or want to do) on a bike.

bottom bracket

The bottom bracket failed after 2 months, replaced with XT equivalent, otherwise a very low maintenance bike. Starting to show some wear and tear now, middle chain ring is missing a tooth, headset feels lumpy, cables beginning to rot.
The saddle and seat post were removed by felons, and I was able to justify getting a comfy saddle. A slightly higher angled stem was added to raise the bars after I accidentally stripped the thead on the original ones, which always made me feel I was going over the bars on the mildest of downhills.

Great looking bike, no regrets on this purchase. Suitable for most XC riders.

Original price £675 new, in the sales.

N/A

[May 16, 2002]
Simon Lake

OVERALL
Strength:

Ltd edition frame, avid discs/wtb wheel set up, easy going ride, no upgrades neccessary

Very hard saddle

For a £1000 this bike is hard to fault, my only purchase has been a race face xy seat post (cosmetic upgrade)

Kona cindercone, Schwinn moab 1

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.