Specialized Enduro Expert FSR 2002 Full Suspension

[Feb 28, 2019]
RaMaN ID

OVERALL
Strength:

Just Another Awesome Vintage Bike From Specialized Enduro Expert Edition. Vintage . Still Strong & Enjoyable !!

Weak Class Component Gear !! I Just Upgrade With XTR Crank & Sproket 11-42T For 9 Speed . The Component Low Class Grade .. Lower Than Deore Gear Set !! Need Upgraded ... Including The Brake System & Disc ...

Purchased:
Used
[Jun 16, 2003]
Daniel

OVERALL
Strength:

-Very fast on downhills
-Good on single track
-Good in muddy conditions with the proper tires
-A decently fast climber with the rear locked out
-Very big confidence builder when riding fast on rocky stuff

-Can be slow on smooth uphills and on the road
-A bit heavy at around 30 pounds
-Stock tires are not good

This is a good bike for those of you who are not ultra concerned with weight. When you get on a downhill you can easily beat any one on a hard tail. This is a good all-around bike for people who ride a little bit of everything.

[Jul 04, 2002]
Johnny L

OVERALL
Strength:

Loads of adjustable travel and it does make a real difference, the Fox Float RL (Itchy) is a top shock. Looks awesome, even with me on it, comes as a frameset so you can set it up as you like. Climbs like a mountain goat, reckon I go up hill faster on this than on my hardtail.

Nowt....oh yeh, it to too bloody long in arriving, apart from that its perfect.

Dogs Bollox, it flies................buy one or you'll always wonder?????

[Jul 02, 2002]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty much what everyone else has said already...Great bike!

Low bottom bracket (read on), tight angle on the seat stay causes even more chain-slap noise than the previous model.

This is an update to my January review. After about a thousand brutal miles, this bike reigns supreme.

I just recently flipped the linkage to the "tall bottom bracket" setting (after many disturbing pedal-bashing incidents). I was hesitant to do so because of the headtube angle/handling issues. I found that the angle change could easily be corrected with the u-turn option on the Rockshock. I adjusted quickly to the added height and am now clearing all the usual problematic objects. The world is in balance again.

I have not had any problems with the strength of the frame. It has taken a beating and not shown any signs of stess. I am not a clydsdale though. I'm only about 175 lbs.

I can't stress enough how happy I am with Specialized. They stood behind a older frame with a questionable problem, no questions asked. They acted very quickly to get me back on the trail. I will be one of their customers as long as they build bikes. (I'm looking forward to checking out the new Epic)

Five flaming chilis for value because you get a ton (figuratively of course) of bike for the money and the resale seems to be pretty high for this bike.
Five overall flamers because a great company builds a great bike, bottom line.

y2k Specialized Enduro Comp, Old Trek Y bike & various hardtails.

[May 16, 2003]
Chris hoch
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, Plush, and accurate control all in one bike.

cable routing, bad factory seat skewer, no front shock lock out.

I give this bike a 8 out of 10, because lets be honest does perfection exist?

Full Review
I fell in love with this bike the first time I test rode it at the dealer. First impressions mean a lot. It immediately caught my attention as I mounted the sleek, but rugged frame. With no cross bar to hurdle I felt more comfortable in the standing position, The wider handle bars were a bit alien to me at first but, I quickly felt the advantage of their stability and reactive control.

The rear fox RL shock is amazingly versatile which I suppose fits great with the concept of the Enduro line of bikes, that of being sort of a cross-training or dual use set of wheels. (DH and XC)
I could only come up with one short-fall with the rear shock and that is, when in long stroke mode the travel is enough to rub the back tire on my seat mounted tool bag... Too much travel? who would of thought.

The front shock is the Manitou Black, they have changed to fox for the 2003 models, I heard. I can only say I wish it had complete lock-out, but it has still got a complete array of adjustability from compression to 5in of travel and more. I have still yet to completely understand the complexities of all the variables on the geometry and ride. but I appreciate the flexibility and option to choose, so That why I give this bike a 8 out of 10, because lets be honest does perfection exist?

Notes of negative interest: questionable cable routing, bad factory seat skewer, all the frame issues have been resolved, Other than those issues, quality is outstanding. Love this bike.

Rockhopper, stumpjumper, paramount

[Dec 06, 2001]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride, good looks. All black except for a gold link and bars. 525 discs are good out of the box. Black fork is for real, but firm spring is not yet available so all I have tried is 4" travel. Lockout on the back is nice. On the fly rear travel switch will be cool when I can go long up front.

Nothing big so far.

This is a very preliminary report after but 4 rides. I am quite pleased as this is just what I was looking for. Not a freeride, not a race bike. Still getting used to the plush compared to the old mac strut which was more a xc race bike. Some have expressed concern that this was a new bike and there will be bugs in new product development. I figured that this was just another step forward for Specialized and the enduro line. So far so good. As usual with these bikes the parts pick may be questionable but if you want a 4-bar you gotta take a look. If you are thinking 100mm is what you are going to run in the front, you may be better to go with the pro and Zoke air fork. Check this bike out and try a test ride if you can.

Old ride:Ted Wojcik custom 3" travel mac strut

[Mar 13, 2002]
Lau

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong frame, great design for freeride (my opinion) and light, can increase travel to 5 inches

Using air lock-out shock is a weak point for freeride biker

I bought it as a frame which costs $1080 U.S.D, I fit a LT, Freeride components, I replaced a Fox Vanilla shock instead of Float RL, using mainly XT components and travel at 5 inches. As I test it, it is extremely good for big hits and Drop-offs but a bit weak for climbing. Actually I use it as nearly-downhill-type.

(Made in Taiwan) Hasa EXO LT (full susp, DNM, Alivio/STX-RC, cable discs), Fastrax DH

[Dec 17, 2001]
thomas marchant

OVERALL
Strength:

o' so sweet floating ride, trick suspension adjustability, mmmm...sexy looks.

the rider...and low bottom bracket (not an issue...yet)

after many hours of shopping, this is the bike that finally made the grade. at this very early stage it is an absolute WEAPON. it climbs like ned overend (oops showing my age) is in the saddle, nails single track at high velocities, floats downhill like a super cross bike, and flies like a BMX. the suspension soaks up steep ruts like they arent there, and is able to wip hardtails on the climb. if you want to head to a full suspension bike, and are unsure about how much travel will suit you, then this is the machine; hard tail to a solid free-ride bike. if the looks of this bike dont make you buy it, then take notice of these reviews and get one before they sell out!

'98 FSR Elite, '01 Giant NRS 1, Schwinn Rocket 88, '01 Marin Mount Vision, all top machines...

[Mar 24, 2002]
Bryan

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything!!!!!!!

None so far

100% thrilled with this bike...did a lot of research trying to find the perfect bike, and it has not disappointed. Handles everthing you throw at it......shimano disks are outstanding.....on the fly lock out and travel adjust work flawlessly...bike feels lighter than what it is on climbs...super efficient. Bombs downhill........I weigh 205...will probably upgrade the Black fork w/ heavier springs...but not a huge issue.....handles extremely precise..great bike for all around use.......on long rides with varied terrain...can handle all but the biggest drops....and climb with the hard tails...could not recommend it more...

Giant AC1

[Mar 11, 2002]
Scot Douglas

OVERALL

For the people that have had the frame cracking: (on early production frames) there is too much side-to-side clearance at the top of the shock where it bolts into the frame. Bolting down the top shock mount puts stress at the welds there and sometimes they crack. Best news is that Specialized found this problem early and corrected it. Long story short: Your frame will probably never crack, but if it does, Specialized will be happy to replace it. :)

I bought an Enduro Pro and had it start cracking after 50 or so miles. I asked for an Expert (all black) to replace it.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.