Orange Sub5 2002 Full Suspension

[Jul 06, 2002]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

good handling, climbing ability, going down ability(with the right fork), light weight, strength

fork supplied when u buy the bike, not suited to the bike at all. PRESSURES IN THE REAR SHOCK NEED TO BE BALANCED OTHERWISE U WILL DAMAGE THE SEALS - I KNOW, BE WARNED ITS EXPENSIVE

Whatever u do when buying this bike, have the bike shop put on either some Pace forks or some Marzocchi forks of at least 100mm travel, with a decent damping system. I put my forks onto this sub 5 and it transformed the bikes ride and handling. Larger disc brake is also preferable.I run a 185 disc which is much more powerful.

various Marin FS bikes

[Mar 03, 2002]
SIMON PRIDHAM

OVERALL
Strength:

LIGHT WEIGHT, GOOD CLIMBING AND DOWN HILL ABILITY, OVERALL WELL WORTH THE THREE MONTH WAIT FOR THIS CLASSIC HOME GROWN PRODUCT (THATS IF YOU LIVE YORKSHIRE ENGLAND )AN IDEAL BIKE FOR ALL LEVEL OF ABILITY, THIS BIKE REWARDS YOU THE HARDER YOU RIDE IT AND AT NO TIMES DOES IT FEEL OUT OF ITS DEPTHS.THE BIKE CLIMBS MUCH LIKE A RIGID WITH VERY LITTLE BOB AND UPON FIRST CLIMBING ONTO THE BIKE FEELS MUCH LIKE A RIGID WITH AN TOTAL WEIGHT OF 27.5 ILBS OR 60.5 KGS IT STEERS WELL AND IS AGILE ON SINGLE TRACKS OR FAST DESENTS, GO ON GIVE IT A GO !

COST BUT THE BEST ALWAYS COST'S MORE, 3 MONTH PRODUCTION TIME FOR WHAT IS A HAND BUILT BIKE

GREAT BIKE GIVING GREAT FEEDBACK ON THE TRAIL THE MOST FUN I'VE HAD WITH CLOTHES ON, YES I HAD TO WAIT 3 MONTHS, BUT AFTER ONLY ONE RIDE I WAS SMITTEN, AND NOW AFTER 6 MONTHS AND MANY OUTINGS I ALWAYS RETURN WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE.

MARIN MOUNT VISION PRO V

[Feb 03, 2006]
Vic Walsh

OVERALL
Strength:

Simple design, efective

UGLY

Boy is it ugly. Industrial looking mega strong frame with a simple single pivit swingarm. East to maintain. Hey, it works, its excellent. Everyone whose had a proper go on it has either gone and bought one or is going to. Looks far heavier than it actually is.
I have just left mine off at the Orange factory in Halifax for a respray and bearing change as they are only 20 mile from me! Mine was a horrible white with a blue swingarm ? but its going to be GREY to match the industrial look. Their bikes are brilliant and so are they.

Specialized Stumpjumper

[Feb 04, 2002]
jamie allan

OVERALL
Strength:

incredible stiffness, very noticible on the climbs even with it`s 5" of rear wheel travel.

nothing !!, both my previous bikes where hardtails, but this baby really takes a pounding without crying every week-end.

most people at this end of the bike world have allready come from a few years of biking, i must admit to buying a few damp squibs in the past, but it has made me more aware of what i want from a bike, the sub-5 can cope with my 14 stone without a hitch in some of the most demanding terrain that scotland has to offer.

i-drive, specialized fsr.

[Jan 14, 2002]
KEN REED

OVERALL
Strength:

GREAT RIDE!!! CLIMBS GREAT AND ALSO DECENDS GREAT. VERY RIDGID NO FLEX.

NONE

THE BIKE WORKS AWESOME!!!!!!! I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH WRAP UP ON BRAKING. THIS BIKE IS PERFECT. FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE FRAME IS 6 LBS WITH SHOCK.

GIANT NRS XTC DS1 WHICH WAS VERY FLEXY

[Jan 14, 2002]
John Pettitt

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame,build quality,rigidity,build options.

None!

Had bad stackup on GT lost my confidence.Tried Sub5 confidence back!Long day rides no problem(I am 51)comfort the order of the day.Easy to clean and maintain.Absolutley no problem with the bike at all.Goes where I point it.

GT I Drive 3.0

[Jul 01, 2002]
Simon Turgoose

OVERALL
Strength:

Stif, fast and light. Monocoque is light and the stiffness come from the built in "Horiz Hold Pivot". Even strong enough for a Clydesdale like me!

Looks....but this years colour schemes look sweet. People mistake it for a heavy bike.

It's bloody stiff and the suspension just does its job without complaint. I have to check that it's moving cos you don't feel a thing...one smooth ride, even on technically fast descents. Built-up it can be fairly light (mine's 26lb). This Yorkshire lad always dreamt of an Orange, now I've got one, no looking back, Oh and it's the only one in Thailand!!This bike is for riders who want to go fast and smooth cross country. I can now finish a 50km ride feeling less weary. It climbs and descends like a dream.

Santa Cruz Heckler and Superlight tested but there are too many it Thailand!!!

[Oct 19, 2002]
simon pridham

OVERALL
Strength:

I've reviewed this bike before, but have now fitted 130mm Bomber Freeride forks with Hope XC Headset and 185mm Minis,
This must now be the ultimate all day play/XC bike

Replaced bottom bracket with Race face after 12 months.

As in previous review, still a great bike comfy all day, which will handle anything thrown at it, still 5 out of 5

Marin Mount Vison Pro with Bomber Dropoffs and Hope Minis, alot slower steering and not as good at climbing.

[Dec 26, 2001]
Keith Elliott

OVERALL
Strength:

versatility, comfort, speed, weight, rigidity, rarity

It would take a far greater rider than myself to find a weakness in this frame

Even with the heavy bits on this bike, it weighs 28 lbs, which isn't bad for 5" travel front and rear. Shortly after building the bike I learned that I was a much better rider than I had imagined, especially descending; only in retrospect can I see how much I didn't like my last bike (the NRS-great frame for XC racers, but I'm not one.) The ECC fork is a lockout on the rebound circuit, so it stays compressed when you throw the lever. This bike is so easy to climb with that way-what bike wouldn't be if you dropped the front end 4"? With the fork locked, I was surprised how little the rear end bobs while climing. The same climbs now take a lot less energy than they did with my Giant, which is regarded as a great climber. I'm waiting for the Progressive Suspension 5th Element shock to start showing up-that could push this bike from superb to sublime. It is SO much more rigid than the NRS (or the Raven and the Foes I've ridden) that it's not even funny. I weigh about 210 lbs, so rigidity matters.

I probably have the bike that will allow me to go more places than anything else I could come up with. Also, even though it shouldn't matter, it's nice to have a bike that draws a crowd.

Giant NRS (owned), Giant AC-1, Foes XC (forget which name), Cannondale Raven

[Mar 19, 2003]
Chris Stott

OVERALL
Strength:

Very plush rear suspension
Reasonably light at a little over 27lb
Huge mud clearance – you can get your fist between the tyre tread and the swingarm!
It’s a matter of personal taste, but I love the gothic looks of the matt black frame

Very twitchy steering on anything other than steep climbs with the forks set at 85mm
Thin paint is easily scratched
Some cable rub around the front of the monocoque
Some worries about durability after Orange horror stories of 2002
Don’t tell the wife how much it cost!!

A very stiff back and sore arse after some very uncomfortable winter rides on the hardtail (’00 Scott Team Racing) forced me down the full suspension route. All the normal full suspension worries of extra weight, inferior climbing and less a less challenging ride were swept away on the first section of singletrack - I just wish I had made the change ages ago!

This bike just rips along typical British trails. First ride I couldn’t believe how much time I spent in the big ring - with 5” of travel front and rear, obstacles that would have previously meant stopping pedalling to get out of the saddle for comfort and traction reasons are cushioned away by the super plush suspension. Being able to keep the pedals turning more of the time means much better momentum.

Climbing on smooth fireroads and singletrack is excellent, but out of the saddle climbing, without the shock locked, on steep, loose, rocky terrain is not advisable as the chain torque spits rocks out the back. Seated climbing is fine though. Pedal feedback is there in the small ring, but it’s not that noticeable, and certainly doesn’t detract from the ride.

But climbing is just a means to gain height… it’s descending that gets the adrenaline flowing. Firstly, yes, it is less challenging than the hardtail, in so much as you don’t have to be so picky about your lines. But then you’re travelling so much faster that this more than compensates. Ruts, bumps & small drops are just swallowed whole. I haven’t ridden it enough to get the confidence to do serious (for me!) drops yet, but it’s just a matter of time!

Component choice obviously influences how a bike rides, and I’m trying to limit this review to comments relating to the frame, but special praise has to go to the Fox TALAS forks… they are quite incredible, and a perfect match for the rear end. I have reviewed these separately.

Speaking of the forks; after trying out the various travel setting of the TALAS, they are pretty much left in the 125mm setting now. At the 85mm travel setting the steering is super fast, and I only wind them down to 100mm for really steep climbs now.

Despite the rather scary amount of money I have invested in this bike I have no regrets about buying it. It is just so rewarding to ride. Roll on July, when it will be winging it’s way to Switzerland for a week of flying round the Alps.

Value rating reflects the almost crazy prices of top end FS bikes in the UK... Full retail would have been over £3,000. Considering you can buy a very decent 600cc motorbike for about £6,000 new, this is just stupid!

None, this is my first full suspension bike

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.