Specialized Comp MTB Shoes

The Comp's pro-inspired fit, Body Geometry ergonomics, and affordability make it the best performing shoe in its category.

• Lightweight injection composite sole with sturdy co-molded lugs for hike-a-bike traction: 5.0 stiffness index
  • Performance-enhancing BG contours in the outsole and footbed
  • Low-profile and lightweight M-Lock SL buckle for secure closure
  • Welded protection in high-wear areas
  • Durable synthetic upper
  • 2-bolt SPD-style cleat pattern, compatible with all major MTB pedals

[Sep 06, 2017]
db9091

OVERALL
Strength:

Snug fit, great dial tightening strap on upper

Can't really walk in them even sort distances (like a high heel in reverse), so open to the weather any rain will fill them like a cup of water, size runs a little small.

I'm an 11.5 in a running shoe but ran a 44.5 in these. Whatever fits tho, small issue. When it rained ,they filled up with water adding weight. Totally only for dry weather! The bottom 2 straps seem almost useless. The inner foot pad is useless as it's very thin and looks like it's wearing after 3 rides.

Bottom line, they seem too expensive for the quality, but are an average shoe. Not terrible, not great. If you can get them on sale, or used, and stay under sunny skies, you are golden.

[Apr 01, 2017]
bertrenolds
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Ratchet strap

You will be lucky to get 5 rides out of the soles if you ride rocky terraine because they are pos vibrim soles.

I have the 2015 version with the top rachet to tighten the shoes. while they do provide good toe protection and they are nice shoes the soles on these shoes a so crappy and i wonder why they stopped using the plastic soles. i used these shoes for 3 days in fruita and after climbing around on rocks one day on the kokopellie trail the rubber bottoms on these are destroyed and i am missing huge chunks of vibrium sole from these. i cannot believe the soles are so weak and fall appart so easy. i would love to post what they look like after 3 days because its insane they look like this for what i paid, you would link you would at least get one season out of them before they fall apart this badly. The sad thing is they made a bad product and even if i send them pictures they will probably tell me they were damaged from abusive use, I rode a rocky trail one day. If you mtb on rocky trails do not get these pos shoes, i am going to find a better company.

[Jun 22, 2016]
Joao Paulo

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, nice weight.

nothing

I bought these shoes( 2016 com shoes) in "red"color by internet. If you want RED shoes, you must buy another model. This model in "red"color is almost orange.

[Apr 11, 2016]
RS

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, keep your feet generally dry, good feel with the BOA.

Made in China people. Got gashed on one side after one ride.

I had an old pair of Specialized BGs that lasted for years. It was time to replace them and these looked and felt great out of the box. Then they die during the Austin Rattler. I would really avoid these shoes unfortunately. I love Specialized. I have a lot of BG products and generally have a positive feel. But this experience leaves me feeling very bitter at having spent over $150 and having damaged shoes in week 2. Then I go to the website and they are 30% off! So I think they know this is not one of their better products. Maybe it's not bad for $110. But you should expect them to tear apart after a year or less.

Made in China. Just keep that foremost in mind.

[Jul 20, 2015]
Niels

OVERALL
Strength:

The fit like a glove. Look great and do their job

Sole detaches at rear (after 5 seasons). Spikes come loose.
A little more stiffness would be appreciated ( they are called comp for competition right? )

Best shoes ever. (2010 edition) I tried the specialized sworks xc and comparible shimano's but nothing beats these.
I have wide feet but these fit me like a glove.i have tried to find better shoes but failed till now.
The rattle is still doing its job after 5 years. No issues what so ever. . I do recognize the poor smell after having ran them in the rain. I think it is the glue specialized uses. After i removed the strings and glie residu this is now gone.

I recommend these shoes

Specialized s-works xc

[Jan 18, 2015]
Bryce

OVERALL
Strength:

I've wore these shoes for 5 years and done numerous hike a bike adventures in the sonoran desert. These shoes have been great. The right buckle has given up and it's time for new shoes.

I have no complaints.

I planned to purchase the very same shoe and thought maybe I should check some reviews first and look for something better. I'm leary of purchasing the same shoe now due to the reviews I see regarding the buckle not working and access to replacement parts. I've been perfectly satisfied with the current pair and I'm going back for more and would recoemd them to everyone. Hope I don't get burned. HEY SPECIALIZED, remember a company is only as good as it's service.

[May 26, 2013]
jon

OVERALL
Strength:

The fit is great and the soles are the right stiffness for varying terrain.

The buckle is awful, it doesn't ratchet well and I can't get it to lock down to feel secure which is important when you are riding technical terrain.

My previous pair of comps were perfect, with the velcro closures. I have a pair of specialized road shoes which have a fantastic buckle system which actually works so I know that they can produce one. Overall I am very disappointed in these shoes and will look for an alternative the next time I am buying mtb shoes.

[Sep 07, 2012]
neuregel

OVERALL
Strength:

comfortable, fits well, lightweight

cant get rid of the oder

I got these for $40 on sale from LBS in spring of 2012, LBS says they wanted to get rid of them because no one was buying brown shoes. Me I dont care and the less colorful the better to me.
I wore them for a few months loved them. Far more comfortable than the adidas I was replacing. Im not a big fan of the slide in clip buckle, wish the top strap was just velcro, but whatever.

Here in NC we went through a rainy period that lasted about a week and a half a month or so ago. Alot of trails run through creeks and small streams that were now swollen torrents but I ride in the rain, I dont really care. crossing the creeks my feet / shoes got saturated. Ive been mtb'ing close to 15 years never had a problem with shoes. Ive even crossed small rivers in water waiste high with my bike over my head. (that was fun but only once in a while) but for some reason these shoes didnt dry out properly and smelled gawd-aweful mildew. I soaked them in bucket of woolite, then a bucket of oxi-clean. Ive taken out the soles and washed them in the washing machine. put the shoes in a backpack and stuck them in the dryer. lysoled to death still cant rid this mildew. this is crazy sheet.

After a month of this smell I took out the soles again and noticed, under the sole there are a bunch of loose strings taped down with masking tape. I noticed the masking tape was still wet. so I removed the wet soggy tape. cut the loose strings with nail clippers and that seemed to have reduced the smell ten fold. im not waiting for them to dry out after removing the tape. ive taken out the soles which dont really hold a smell and waiting for them to fully dry. I sprayed some more lysol. i think this should do it.

[Jun 03, 2012]
Drew Doherty

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, easy to adjust, pretty light, comfortabel sole, good quality material

BUCKLE!!! buckle is finicky, its not to bad once youve done it a few times, water seeps in a little and i found the tounge to be a bit sharp and cut my angle but nothin some thinker socks cant fix

Good quality shoe, a good first pair of clip less shoes.

[Feb 01, 2012]
Holmes

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, stiff

None so far

I have a fairly wide foot and these fit me like a glove - nice roomy toe box (which could be a minus for folks with narrow feet). Definitely the most comfy SPD compatible shoes I have ridden in so far. I was having some issues with my left knee that seem to have gone away since I switched to these - I think the ergo-footbed is working for me. I don't have enough miles on these to speak to long-term durability, but so far I love em'.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.