Sidi Dominator Shoes

Best Price At

You've been riding, and Sidi has been watching. And what did Sidi see? Well, it saw that you've been riding your old Dominators for far more than just simple trail riding. In fact, cyclocross and all-mountain riding has taken over as the Dominator's primary function. That's why Sidi gave the...

[May 06, 2014]
Tillers_Rule

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, lightweight, dry quickly

Off pedal hiking traction

Picked up a pair of these 5-6 years ago and they are finally needing replacing. I'm a clyde who rides at least two days a week and have beat these things up. Could maybe go a bit longer with them, but the velcro is starting to wear out and the plastic on the buckle strap has broken on one shoe. On the bike these are great. Off the bike, they could benefit from a softer rubber on the sole for traction, as the hard plastic slides on rocks pretty easily. I'll be picking up another pair to replace these.

Some old Scott brand.

[Jun 14, 2010]
TC

OVERALL
Strength:

Hmmm, since I have not had them very long, hopefully durability. They look decent for a plain, black shoe.

Poor buckle system, hard to thread and tighten as well as remove. After the difficulty of threading the buckle strap into the ratchet mechanism, it is difficult to push the strap through the ratchet and then find a good spot to start tightening. Also, the velcro straps do not seem to have enough length to them, they are just a bit short. The lugs on the soles seem a bit shallow and hard. The heel cup does not feel deep enough. And the insoles are worthless, which is surprising for a $280 shoe (retail)

I think Sidi is resting on their laurels, in my eyes they are no longer the benchmark for shoes. There are a lot of other very good shoes out there, and as the old adage goes, "if the shoe fits".

My previous shoes were Sidi Bullets. Those shoes fit great, looked great and were quite durable. I had the Bullets for 8 years. I have also owned Shimano, AXO and Nike. Nike were the worst.

[Apr 26, 2010]
pedalitup

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought these in 1997, its 2010 and they finally gave up yesterday. I ride a lot. Thats 13 seasons of abuse through five bikes. They fit like a glove until the plastic pieces exploded on both shoes while hikeabiking through the spring thaw.

Absolutely none

I'm a Sidi fan for life. Why would I try any imitation shoes after these?

Shimano

[Jul 15, 2003]
Seth Burke

OVERALL
Strength:

Feel light, not much heel slop

For 190 retail, these shoes have the thinnest, non support giving insoles imaginable. Not to mention the ratchet system that SUCKS!! I've had these Dominator 4's for less than a year and have already broken both buckles, the sole is gone, and the front is falling apart. I ride hard, but c'mon. My first and only other shoes were a 70$ pair of Answer Speeders that lasted nearly 4 years, and didn't have half of the problems of these. I tried to get a hold of Sidi through their US distributor (Valtec Sports) unsuccessfully, although they sent me two catalogs for my two emails. C'mon guys this is one of the most expensive shoes on the market and you're not gonna back it up.....how lame!!! Skip the Sidi's now known as Sucki's and buy a cheaper, REAL pair of shoes. These are meant for roadies!!!

These things SUCK. I don't call them Sucki's for nothing. I broke the buckles in less than 6 months, and have been duct taping them since. They don't back up their products!! 190$ doesn't mean squat except for you're a sucker!!

Answer Speeder's

[Aug 22, 2003]
sf-rider

OVERALL
Strength:

They are the most comfortable shoe I've worn. They feel like sneakers -- i drive my car wearing them.

I've been having the worst trouble releasing the buckle after riding (now you know why i drive with them). I ride hard, but I can't believe the buckle is already getting stuck.

The worst part is that I just read their warrany card and it says clearly that, "There is no warranty on SIDI mechanical closure systems.

Its been just over 3 weeks and they are falling apart. Only give it a shot if you catch them on sale or if SIDI decides to back their buckles. I might try the Shimano's -- their buckle looks more sturdy & durable.

Northwave & Nike

[Jun 14, 2003]
Ted

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable and easily adjustable.

Not good for walking on wet rocks.

I am amazed at how comfortable these shoes are. I even had some problems with them and still would not give them up.

The short story: When I tried them on at the LBS one of the buckles fell off. The store guy locktited them in and I was off. A week later one of the buckles broke off at the screw. I did not want to give up the shoes so I called Veltec Sports (Sidi distributor in US) and they quickly agreed to send new buckles. They said the old plastic is melted by Locktite! I waited a week to get the buckles and used duct tape to keep the shoes on. The other buckle also broke off at the screw. The new buckles came with slightly longer screws and are supposed to be Locktite tolerant. No problems so far.

AXO Terra

[Sep 21, 2007]
marshall S

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, durability, breathability

Debri will stick around rachet and you can't open until you clear out the stick, weeds, etc.

Great shoes, I got a deal on these and I had heard so much about them that I had to buy them. I love these shoes, I use them for both road and mtn and they work great. Mine are the Dom ventilator, which really works, especially here where the summers get very hot.

I've also ridden them on very wet, muddy days and was concerned how they would clean up and dry out, but with a little TLC, they are fine. Looking forward to many more years with these shoes.

Other than the rachet occassionally getting debri stuck in them, I've got no complaints. In fact, I highly recommend them. Don't spend your money on another "made in... shoes, save up and go for the best.

Many - but these are the best

[Feb 15, 2003]
Shappy

OVERALL
Strength:

very durable, and form fitting, with good cleat adjustment

I like everything about this shoes, but the sole is too hard, especially when riding in colder weather. When trying to walk, or run, over rocks, in tech sections, it can get very slick. ---They need more grip. Also, after a year the leather is dried out and not as flexible as it was, but with some leather treatment it should be okay.

These fit like a glove with great adjustments. Extremely durable and they look great. If only the sole was made with a softer rubber they would have more grip on the rocks. Even if the sole did not last as long, I would be willing to sacrifice. These shoes are also very expensive.

Shimano shoes

[Jul 13, 2002]
Aaron Hudacky

OVERALL
Strength:

(Sidi Dominator 2 mesh) ventilation, overall comfort, looks, customer service

had buckle trouble but Sidi has made a sincere attempt to remedy the problem... see below.

I posted an earlier review stating my discontent with Sidi's customer service and the performance of the plastic buckles on my shoes. I had written them three times and somehow communications broke down... I never heard back from them. However, within a day of posting my original review at this site, I was contacted by Sidi customer service with an apology and notification of what they would do to fix the problem. I ended up receiving replacement buckles and straps and some other extra parts. Now my shoes work perfect again. The new buckles look like the originals, but they had coding on their backs that was non-existent on the original buckles so maybe there were a few small modifications. The new parts have been working well; time will prove how they will hold up. I was impressed by Sidi's concern and their willingness to help get my shoes back up to par once they realized I was having trouble. My opinion of Sidi customer service has gone from zilch at my last post to outstanding. These shoes do cost a lot, but they are comfortable, look good and come with excellent customer service.

[Jul 02, 2002]
JC

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight
Fit
Ease of use
Performance

none that I am aware

For my foot and type of riding, these shoes are awesome. I was using Spec. Pro and had many quality issues. I like the Spec. because the fit was so good; snug but not blood restricting (like a well fitting ski boot). I though it was a combo of the laces and straps. Not the case.

At first, the Sidi felt a bit sloppy. But after a couple of ride and once the shoe "molded" to my foot, it fits like an extremely comfortable glove. And they're very stiff and with no laces, they are easier to put on and off.

Specialized Pro

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.