Pearl Izumi X-Project 3.0 Shoes

The X-Project 3.0 MTB Shoe is designed with every type of rider in mind, delivering stiffness for on-bike performance, just the right amount flex for off-bike comfort, and a price tag that's easier on the wallet. After years of R&D and testing, Pearl Izumi has finalized their X-Project shoe line, which has the stiffness to compete with race models and the flex to remain comfortable when walking. This Men's 3.0 model forgoes carbon in favor of a nylon sole, yet still features a multi-thickness shank to achieve Pearl's balance of rigidity and comfort.

[Nov 23, 2015]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Great pedaling platform combined with terrific hikeability

I recently signed up for La Ruta de los Conquistadores - the toughest race on the planet according to the poster - and while I think there are (a few) harder races, it was damn hard including 25,000 feet of climbing over the first 2 days. I knew we would be facing tropical jungle muck and mud, river crossings and lots of hike-a-bike sections. I was looking for a pair of shoes that would excel and survive in these conditions, and considered the Giro TerraDuro (too soft) VR50 (terraDuro with carbon sole - too spendy) and Sidi models.I picked this PI model and it was stellar!

I knew I would be dealing with wet shoes, so I brought 2 pairs of shoes, these PI X-Project and a pair of Sidi Dominators from last season. I wore the Sidi's on Day 2 and they felt inferior in every way - weaker pedaling platform, worse traction and less protection, I ended up throwing them away at the end of the stage. Gettign back in the Peral Izumi's for day 3 was a treat.

I liked the fasteners (velcro and click) and could adjust throughout the day as my feet swelled after 10+ hours in the saddle. Traction in the mud and sand was surefooted and comfortable adn I even liked the wrench and cleats that were better thought out than others I have tried. I've raced a few CX races since I returned and felt these were great (perhaps a bit heavy if you are a Podium threat) in the CX environment as well

Sidi Dominators, Specialized S-Works

[Jul 22, 2015]
Forster

OVERALL
Strength:

If these fit, they're a great shoe. Stiff.

Straps don't keep foot in position (toes end up against the end of the toe box). Also, cuffs are high and stiff.

Bought a pair of 48s which ran 1/2 size small. They might have worked but I couldn't get the straps adjusted to keep my foot in place. Had the rear strap all the way tight and it was still too loose.

Sidi and PI Shoes

[May 27, 2014]
Craig Stewart
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort and Versatility

Tight area for the cleat/pedal area on the shoe.

I had an older pair of Pearl Izumi shoes that had the three velcro straps. I think I got 8 yrs or so out of them, the only reason I needed a new pair was that the Velcro wasnt staying closed anymore. I ordered the X-Project 3.0 and a pair of Mavic Rush MTB shoes to compare. First off, the new Pearl Izumi's are sized a little differently from the old ones. I wore a 42 in the old PI's and ended up with a 44 in the X-Projects. In comparing them to the Mavic's, they just felt more snug and secure.

My first two rides with the new 3.0's were on my normal 10 mile loop. They felt fine, not much different from my old shoes except being more secure and not constantly having to reseal the velcro. On Saturday, I rode a new trail and took a wrong turn and ended up on a 4 mile hike & bike with tons of uphill. This is where I really enjoyed the new X-Project styling and capabilities of having some flex. They were comfortable, had good traction on slickrock and dirt and were comfortable the whole time, even though my navigating skills need some help.

For comparison, I wear a size 10 Nike running shoe and the Pearl Izumi X-Project 3.0 in a 44 fit me perfectly.

Pearl Izumi All Road, Mavic Rush

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.