Pearl Izumi X-PROJECT 2.0 Shoes

The X-PROJECT 2.0 is the ultimate shoe for mountain bikers because its unique design provides pedaling efficiency with hiking and running performance. A patent-pending carbon plate provides optimal power transfer for the best of both worlds. A perfect shoe for mountain bikers or cyclocross racers.

• 1:1 anatomic buckle closure features a 25-degree angled strap design that follows the anatomic curve of the foot
  • Seamless construction in the toe area for no-seam comfort in the flex zone
  • Run shoe EVA foam heel absorbs impact for off-the-bike comfort
  • Full-length tapered unidirectional carbon fiber plate (patent-pending) gives on-the-bike power transfer and off-the-bike hike-ability
  • Co-molded rubber tips on hollow TPU lugs provide traction on an extremely lightweight bottom unit
  • Includes 1:1 Insole System with Total Tune Performance Inserts
  • SPD compatible

[May 02, 2014]
JP Nuts

OVERALL
Strength:

Well, the shoes perform per the PI advertising. They are comfortable. No hot spots over the shoe cleats. The rocker allows safe foot grip on slick rock.

However, the shoes should have a disclaimer: "Warning only use for pedaling, walking damages the shoe" The 2 thin strips of traction material over the hard sole wear off more than rather quickly hiking just the hike a bike moves I can't make here in Sedona, no walking to a view point. I started riding these shoes the first of the year, to date I have worn them for 68 rides. I emailed PI customer service and was told the wearing off the grippy material was wear and tear. I believe that PI committed an engineering error, hence a product defect that should be covered by warranty to assure customer satisfaction. I was told to find a reputable shoe repair service to repair them on my dime. That ain't right, PI's advertising stresses the "walkability" of the shoes. Hiking on rock will wear the grippy material off down to the slippery hard plastic which will change the grip to slippery. So, if my technical skills matched what I ride so that I only pedal the shoes would rate higher.

My put here is to inform potential buyers of a $210 shoe that they wear, not quickly but fast, that will leave you skating on the rock. And to PI to return to the drawing board to correct their design. I give my low rating because of the wearing off of the grippy traction strips.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.