Pearl Izumi Vortex Shoes

Pearl Izumi Vortex MTN Shoe. Designed for aggressive Off-Road Riding. ^Nylon I-Beam design for light weight and stiffness ^ Aggressive tread with tacky gripping surface for incredible traction and durability in wet and dry conditions. ^ Ratchet cl

[Feb 19, 2009]
bandit350

OVERALL
Strength:

solid, simple shoe

tend to stretch during the ride so they need to be tightened after a mile.

good, simple shoe. good size toe box compared to similar shoes. i am not a racer and don't want racer shoes. i had to dremel part of the tread to work w/ my time z pedals and still love them. no issues. i'd probably prefer 3 velcro straps instead of 2 and the ratchet (seems like everyone thinks that is a value added item).

661, diadora, shimano shoes

[Aug 28, 2003]
Shamus Yandle

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff shoe, comfortable fit

Poor construction

These shoes suck! Do not buy them. I bought a pair from the Pearl Izumi Outlet store. When I got a few miles away, I opened the box and noticed that the sole on one of the shoes was starting to come off. I turned around and drove back to the outlet and they exchanged them for another pair that looked better. Well, then after about 7 or 8 rides on them, one of the soles started to come off as well. I'm never going to buy another pair of Pearl Izumi shoes again.

[Jun 02, 2003]
Geoff

OVERALL
Strength:

Shoe fits really well and looks nice also. Stiff shoe, perhaps too stiff.

Sole separating. Just noticed about six months after purchase but I have a sneaky suspicion it has been like this for a while longer. This is disappointing considering the actual time I used the shoes. Not a whole lot.

I really thought these shoes would be the best of both worlds; more affordable and effective. So much that I thought of buying the road shoe. No chance of that now. I'll shell out a bit more and get a better quality shoe. These were great shoes right up until the sole decided it didn't want to be part of the shoe any longer. Anyhow, I wouldn't recommend this shoe, especially with all the other reviewers experiencing the same problem. I just noticed this problem and I am going to try to see what the dealer as well as Pearl has to say.

[Nov 15, 2003]
Nic lanzarone

OVERALL
Strength:

Super comfortable, no pressure points from this shoe

Judging from the no. of reviewers with sole peel off problems I'd say you could get stuck with a bad production batch!

At this stage I am really happy with the shoes performance. I have used them regulary and am very hard on them.
Very stiff sole, nice and light for long rides. great comfort. look good, great tread, removable studs up front, shed water well thro well placed mesh panels.

I probably would not have bought this shoe had I read the reviews below. But I have to say that SO FAR I am wrapped.

shimano mtb shoes

[Jan 18, 2004]
michael hsu

OVERALL
Strength:

Wide footbed last. I bought these as a less expensive option to Sidi Mega D 4s or the Carnacs they replaced...oops. Nice stiff platform.

Decent fit, but the shoe didn't hold my heel as well as other shoes have in the past making walking sections a bit more difficult. Sole delaminated at the heel on one shoe after not much use, maybe 30 rides.

Bad assembly. Everyone knows that this is where MTB shoes come apart....you'd think that they could've gotten it right. Others and newer models seem to be improved...I seem to have been a beta tester for a new product. Really dissappointed in PI, typically good stuff.

various Sidi's, Shimano shoes, Answer shoes, Carnac shoes

[Sep 14, 2002]
Wilson

OVERALL
Strength:

Same as before but with the addition of terrific customer service.

Found a new weakness, maybe. Sole is stiff as I mentioned before. Perhaps too stiff? I rode them a few times and the sole began to separate from the shoe.

This is an update to my earlier post. The sole began to slightly separate from the rest of the shoe. This was a bummer, but not a major problem for 2 reasons: 1) I think it was pretty minimal and might've been fixed by epoxy or something akin and 2) I called up Pearl Izumi and spoke to Jeremy. He was totally helpful and had a called my LBS to authorize the return and shipped out new shoes (the LBS didn't have my size in stock) the same day. One suggestion though, email took a couple days to get back to me so calling was the most immediate and effective. Thanks again Pearl Izumi... now if only the rest of your stuff was a little more affordable....=P

Shimano

[Sep 30, 2002]
Spiff

OVERALL
Strength:

Good fit, very stiff sole, nice looking.

sole coming off, rubber on the sole seem way too soft

The rubber on the sole is soft and wear easily. After 4 rides only I noticed the sole starting to separate from the shoe on the heel. It may be a bug of first year product but I'm not getting another one to find out. Got it warrantied in my LBS and bought a Sidi.

[Aug 18, 2003]
paul shell

OVERALL
Strength:

great fit, seemed like a quality mountain bike shoe.

after 5 weeks, they tore apart @ the sole. Do not buy !!

the shoe fit really well, looked like a good midpriced shoe, however the sole came off after 5 weeks.

replaced with sidi

[Jan 29, 2004]
michael hsu

OVERALL
Strength:

Great customer service

This is a follow up to my post directly below. Pearl Izumi returned my call and told me to take it to any PI dealer since they have a lifetime warranty....a week later I have a new pair of the improved Vortex shoes. So the story goes....defective product, they fix the design/assembly, and they give me a new pair...all customer relationships should be this positive.
Thanks PI. My new ratings are based on the shoe staying in one piece.

[Jun 27, 2005]
Ari

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent shoe. Lightweight, yet stiff, and breathable.

As happened with many other reviewers, the sole came apart from the shoe.

I really liked this shoe, but for the sole separating from the shoe itself. However, after seeing other reviewers note the same problem, I contacted Pearl Izumi, and they gave me full warranty. I just returned the shoes to a dealer and swapped them out, even up, for a new, 2005 PI Vortex II. Have only ridden with them once, and not sure I like the one velcro strap and ratchet system better than the old three velcro straps system. Seems that the older version fit snugger. BUT, kudos to Pearl Izumi for acknowleding the defect and agreeing to replace with new version at no cost, with no questions asked. I will be a PI customer for life. Will post review on the new model after use for a while.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.