Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX Shoes

Frigid temperatures, drifting snow, unrelenting drizzle and gale force winds are no match for the Barrier GTX. This is the no holds barred winter riding shoe.

• Gore Tex lining for waterproof protection
  • Rubber toe cap for added durability
  • Integrated gaiter and water-resistant
  • Internal speed-lacing system for an exact fit

[Dec 05, 2014]
Fat guy on a small bike

OVERALL
Strength:

Warmth of the inner liner. Zipper protection over the laces. Secure Velcro over ankle.

haven't found any yet but suspect that they would soak up water if I dunked my feet in water. Nylon outer liner make it a little harder to keep clean from mud

Overall the warmest shoe I have found. I tried quite a few and these are the best when combined with wool socks. I wish they made this in a road shoe. They are so much better than my sidi winter shoe.

[Nov 02, 2010]
RiderJ

OVERALL
Strength:

Keeps my feet warm

Ankle cuff does not come up high enough. I also think that the sole of the shoe is crap! I slip off my pedals. I slip on the pavement. I definatly slip on the ice. This slippage does not happen with my shimano winter boots.

These boots keep your feet warm for a while, then the cold creeps up from the sole. The sole is also hard as a rock and slick as a wet one. I think the sole makes the shoe complete junk! I will sell these and buy another pair of the Shimano MW80 shoes. The lace system is nice though, as long as the plastic thingy is working properly. If you want a well made boot that keeps your feet warm and won't slip on the ground then don't buy these. Maybe PI will make there sole a little more sticky in the future.

Lake 300(didn't like) and Shimano MW80(love this shoe)

[Mar 08, 2010]
vworth

OVERALL
Strength:

waterproof in snow and slush. together with smartwool socks keep me toasty warm below 10*F. Have so far stood up to riding almost every day this winter.

perfectly satisfied so far

Believe it or not, it gets cold in northern New Mexico / southern Colorado. I never could keep my feet warm before. This has also been a snowy winter and so far my feet have never gotten wet. Very glad I spent the money on these.

neoprene booties, toe covers, gore-tex sox, plastic bags, ALL Garbage!

[Feb 17, 2010]
B Rad

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, it is like biking in slippers! Keeps feet dry! Easy on and off.

Not very warm below 30 degrees!

This is a great boot for biking down to about 32 degrees. It is super comfortable and very easy to get into. It is not as warm as I thought it would be. Even in the 30's I use foot bed warmers. The best thing about this boot is good bye to those stupid pull over booties that are so hard to put on.

[Jan 03, 2010]
Deaf_Guy

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable and well made

Sized small. I ordered 1 size larger and should have gone 1.5. Poor performance

These shoes are very comfortable and have a good look and feel to them. They are better that your regular shoes with covers but if you're looking for a knockout punch for old man winter then you may want to look elsewhere. If you're just looking to extend your riding season then the Perls might be for you but for $180 I expected a lot more than they deliver.

[Dec 27, 2009]
agriholic

OVERALL
Strength:

waterproof, comfortable for short outings, good grip on snow, soles are durable, stiff, pleasing to the eye.

My feet sweat a lot, and once my feet are wet they get cold. Period.
They are not cheap, but if you are riding in temps below 35F very often they are very nice.

I feel that these are great for winter commuting, and shorter jaunts. My wife and I did a 6 hour gravel road race on our mountain tandem in 30 degree weather, and my feet were cold for about 4 of the 6 hours. Still, better than any overshoes I have ever used.
I have also used these for CX races when things are wet and snowy, and they are phenomenal at making a unpleasant endeavor more bearable(kind of heavy though). I highly recommend using the toe spikes for extra grip, and it helps reduce the wear on the outsoles.

[Nov 13, 2009]
kmb71

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a PI product. W

PI doesn't make a road version.

Living and riding in Belgium, I tried a lot of things to keep my feet warm and dry. Nothing worked as well as these shoes. Yes, they cost more than a typical mtn shoe. But so's a few hours in the ER with hypothermia or frostbite. If you ride in the winter, cold/wet/muddy trails, inclement weather, or live in Belgium - get these shoes. I wear them year round and they breathe enough during the summer that my feet don't feel too warm. Another great product by PI.

Nike, Specialized

[Jan 24, 2009]
brokepost

OVERALL
Strength:

very comfortable, warm and water proof. has 200 grams of thinsulate for extra protection from the cold.

I not sure its a weakness, but you should order at least 1 size up. shoes seem to run a little small

so far a love these boots, i've worn them in the rain and in sub freezing weather and my feet stayed nice and warm.
they seem more shoe like when compared to the lakes; there very light.

i'm not sure about durability, will review later, but for now they are best winter shoes/boot i've tried.

answer winter mtb shoe

[Jan 12, 2009]
zasker

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, Dry and warm at least to 15 degrees in snow freezing rain and ice. Nice grip on the sole and easy to get in and out of.

If you ride all winter and want a solid shoe that will keep your feet dry get these.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.