Mavic Razor Shoes

The Mavic Razor is a simplified version of the race winning Fury, offering toned down features for solid perfomance and reliable comfort on and off of the bike.

[May 10, 2013]
Gregon2wheels

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable on the bike - no hot spots with Time ATAC pedals.
Easy to take on/off, but secure on the trail. Easy to adjust on the trail if too tight/too loose.
Good grip on hard pack trails. Can't comment on other surfaces.
Good durability.

Not waterproof in the least. Easy access to water, mud, dirt, etc.
No foot protection.
Color - mine are all silver and gaudy.

I bought these shoes because I have the exact same pair with a road sole for my road bike. I like the fit and feel on the road bike, and I am just as happy with them for the mountain bike.

Adidas

[Jun 25, 2011]
Corporal Punishment

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, ultra comfortable, very stylish, rugged.

The plastic lugs on the sole are so hard they don't have much grip on platform pedals.

I love these shoes. I haven't had any problems with the strap or ratchet. I just push the strap in instead of using the ratchet.

These shoes are so comfy I wear them when I'm driving to the MTB park. Hard sole lugs don't grip too well to my cheapy platforms. I have some crank bros mallets on the way and hopefully the lugs on the pedals will fix that when I'm not clipped in.

The size you order is the size you get. You don't have to order up or down in size to make it fit your feet. I have 11-1/2 feet and I ordered 11-1/2 shoes and they fit perfectly.

Before I bought these shoes, I narrowed my choices down to a selection of 3 or 4 different shoes. One reason I picked these is because of the hard rubber toe protection on the front of the shoe. I bulldoze the trail and hit everything. So far, no problems.

Time will tell if they're durable.

none- my first bike shoes

[Apr 29, 2011]
Zachariah

OVERALL
Strength:

-Lightweight shoes
-Stiff soles
-Included mud spikes
-Anti microbial material
-Breathes well/dries fast
-Clipless cleat plates included

-No toe reinforcement
-Sand enters shoe easily

For those of you complaining of breaking your ratchet straps off and crying out loud here on MTBR....you need to exercise proper CARE & CAUTION, when securing the Mavic Razor ratchet straps. First off, the release buckle has TWO points of engagement:

a) Simply unscrew the buckle and decide if you wish to mount them high or low, depending on what is comfortable for you.
b) Next, when "threading" the ribbed ratchet strap into the buckle - insert it only when you feel it "catch" the buckle.
c) Then, using the ratchet lever, pull the tab tight 2-3 clicks - no MORE, no LESS...EVER> DONE!

If the shoe feels loose - adjust the two remaining velcro straps, accordingly. The plastic ratchet straps ONLY tear off the shoes when they are much too tight. The secure, padded heel cup of this shoe compensates for this and will keep your heels from lifting...not the strap! The straps will never shear off if you follow my 2-3 click adjustment. Too tight on the top strap and you'll get hot spots like crazy, on your instep anyways. Ease it off and it suddenly becomes blissfully comfortable. No lie!

I've tried all the best MTB footwear and the Mavic Razor is one light, sweet MTB race-inspired shoe. I would say the AdiStar WAS the best...but it is no longer made. Keep the shoes clean, and they will never smell. Be sure to use the included Mavic clipless cleat guards..it will triple your sole durability.

SIDI Dominator 5
Adidas AdiStar
Diadora X-Trail
Gaerne Wallaby

[Mar 15, 2011]
thumper07

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfotable. Great looks. Built well.

2010 and earlier models didn't have a rubber tip outside of the front toe but the 2011 models do.

Unless the buckle were made of diamonds, they will break if they're smashed up against a rock during a crash. Ski boots will break, too.

If you go to Excel Sports, you can buy a replacement buckle kit for 19 dollars. Buy a kit and keep it in the trunk of your car. Here is the link. http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Ergo+Lite+Buckle+and+Strap+Ratchet+Kit&vendorCode=MAVIC&major=5&minor=6

If you look at more expensive shoe reviews, you wont see nearly as many complaints of buckles breaking. I think it's because people who can afford to spend 350 dollars on cycling shoes treat their stuff a whole lot better than those looking for bargain basement stuff.

Wack a 400 dollar SIDI buckle against a rock as hard as you wack this buckle against a rock and it will break just the same.

For those who ride hard and do a lot of tricks and jumps, perhaps a buckle shoe is not the right choice. Nothing beats shoe laces for durability and ease of replacing.

But, back to my opinion of these shoes. So far, I like them a lot. Best shoe for the price. Great quality shoe.

I bought an extra set of buckles and they're in my spart parts box along with a deraileur hanger and swingarm bearings.

Which brings up another question..............if someone crashes and breaks their deraileur hangar, does that mean the bike is a piece of sheet?

I think not.

Buy a set of replaceable buckles that were made to be replaced when broken, silly boys.

Several

[Jan 19, 2011]
Guss13

OVERALL
Strength:

Great looking, with good grip and fit.

Little or no protection on toes of shoe, so they scuff easily.

Good shoes @ $100 - $150 not worth $300 that some LBS are asking. Stick piece of old inner tube on toe for protection.

Shimano, DTM (road shoes).

[Jan 19, 2011]
catfoodeater

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit is good for me. Like the softer rubber tread for traction. Had used the Pulse and liked them so very much and the Razor was on sale so I thought why not get the ones with the fancy strap. Mavic has taken care of the issue.

fancy strap broke on the first run up of the first CX race these shoes ever saw. This was the first time i rode them off the rollers and the strap broke. rode the second race with surprisingly comfortable electrical tape remedy.

don't buy the mavic razor shoes. The Pulse is so great though.

Mavic Pulse. same shoe but with three very simple and seemingly perfect Velcro straps. Awesome shoe the Pulse is.
Gaerne shoes-good but high dollar. Eurotrash styling can't be beat.
661-not so good

[Oct 23, 2010]
almogaver

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, good fit, looks great in white

Some squeaky noise while pedaling

These are very good shoes for the price. I have not had any issues with the straps as many others commented here. And I rode 5 hours while raining non stop: the shoes were totally wet but in perfect condition. I am very happy so far.

Shimano SH-M086, Northwave Bike Lizzard

[Mar 13, 2010]
jwcart10

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort and price

weak straps

i broke the strap on the right shoe the first day out in them! went right back to the lbs and they took a strap off another shoe on the floor and said they would worry about ordering a new one. i hope the next strap will hold up better. we will see.

shimano entry level shoes

[Jan 27, 2010]
octopus magic

OVERALL
Strength:

One of the lowest priced ratching shoes
looks nice
base plate under pedals

Extremely fragile!
Poor to zero support from Mavic.

I wanted to start cross racing in the 2009 season, so I was looking around for some cheaper alternatives to Sidi's expensive dominator options. Being my first season in cross, I wasn't quite ready to drop that much cash, and I saw Mavic's new offerings of low priced ratcheting shoes! They're actually pretty nice looking and feature an optional underplate to prevent excessive wear on the shoe from your pedals. They are however rather cheapish feeling in your hands, mostly from the main ratchet action, and the velcro, so I was prepared for some pain.

Rode these for a whopping 2ish months if that (mostly trained on my road bike), 4 races, and the right main strap broke in the middle of the fifth race. I remember riding the race and being like "oh man, did that just happen?"

A Mavic rep was supposed to check in on them but they don't really seem to care after 2 weeks.

My LBS has been trying to be supportive and offered a new strap off a live shoe, but the actual plastic that holds the strap to the fabric of the shoe broke, so they're toast. This is just terrible design all around and it's featured on all their shoes from the low end to the high! Maybe these would be good if you are gentle or only ride them on the street, but for a cross shoe, forget it!

139 dollars worth of GARBAGE. Should've bought Sidi's the first time around.

Shimano/Sidi road shoes

[Aug 06, 2009]
PVR

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, fit, looks, stiffness

stitching on one strap frayed almost immediately

After a couple of weeks of hard use in dry conditions, I am impressed. Great fit, comfort and traction when hiking - better than my old Shimanos on all fronts. For the price, the fit, features and comfort could not be matched by anything from the usual suspects (Shimano, Sidi etc) in this neck of the woods.

The jury is still out on durability, It only cost a couple of bucks to get a strap restitched (it started to unravel shortly after purchase) but this was mostly preventative in nature, no down time or failure occurred. The shoes are getting a bit scuffed already (the lighter grey colour and yellow lining show the dirt and wear more than the black and grey of my Shimanos) and I haven't soaked them thoroughly yet to see how they hold up.

On the positive side the vents look like they can be duct taped more easily than the open mesh on my Shimanos to keep the water out on rainy rides.

Shimano M171, Lake MX120

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.