Louis Garneau Gladiator Helmet

With its unusual crocodile head european design, the Gladiator provides 9 out of 21 big air channels located on the forefront of the helmet for those brutal climbs.

[Apr 07, 2006]
Martin

OVERALL
Strength:

Unique yet sharp styling. The tightening system or "dial" on this helmet is the best I have ever used. Fits comfortably. Light.

The only thing I don't like and may limite the use of this helmet to two years is that the securing strap in the back that tightens the helmet is coming loose where it connects to the helmet. The strap is not coming apart or anything, but it is only held to the helmet with a strip of velco. I suppose the reason for that is so you can adjust it. However, if you tighten the helmet most of the way down (like I do) to get a good fit, it puts a lot of tension on the velco and from day one it started coming off the helmet.

It was a good helmet for the money (even if it only lasted for 2 years. I suppose if I got really motivated, I could fix the weakness of this helmet, but it has recently started to make me nervous that in the event of a serious crash whether it would hold tight. So if you do buy this helmet, maybe take some preventative measure to make sure the velco stays put.

Bell

[Mar 30, 2007]
Tyler

OVERALL
Strength:

Fits really well and cools very well

the tight down strip in the back is Velcro and looks like it will give out.

It is a really good helmet and I got it back during my first year at college when I was playing Ultmate Friesby on a bike. The stupidity of it drove me to go get a helmet. Used it during the first year and then it just sat on a shelf in my home town for a few years and I replace my bike and got back into it and the helmet worked great and I can feel the cool air rushing though it cooling me off. Fits really well and does not have the annoying just not staying stable the cheaper helmets have. I learned you get what you pay for and a quality helmet is worth it in both terms of safety and fit.

Cheap Bells

[Jan 27, 2004]
SGT. ROCK

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks OK
Good retention system
Fairly lightweight
Made in Canada, eh!

Skimpy protection at sides and back
Vents don't work well with helmet lights

Stole this bucket from Sierra for a measly $20. Excellent helmet for the price - good retention system, good ventilation, and like all LG stuff, the quality is there. My only concern is that the coverage is lacking on the sides, and particularly the back, of the helmet - a lot of the back of your head is exposed. I can't thread the strap for my helmet mount light through the vents, so nighttime use is no go.

LG Enigma, Bell Nemesis, Bell Aquila

[Mar 25, 2002]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Great price, retaining system, venting

Love the helmet, the retention system is like that of much more expensive competitors. This allows me to fit the helmet so it does not move around at all. My last helmet was a 30.00 Trek which served me well but never fit right. It is light and the vents seem to flow well. I will know better this summer when it heats up. So far 5 flaming piles all around!

Trek helmet

[Jul 14, 2002]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight (8.6 oz) Exceptional fit, cool looks, comfort. Excellent venting on top.

Was concerned with lack of vents on sides, but turned out not to be a problem. Lack of available retail outlets in my area.

I wore a Vigor helmet for three years, broke it this summer and went looking for a replacement. Bought a Giro Gila but wasn't all that happy with it. I wouldn't recommend buying a helmet mail order but since I tried on just about every available model in town (under 100 bucks) and couldn't get a perfect fit for my pointy head...I took a chance with the L.G. via Nashbar and.... Voila! Tres bon! Fits perfect and looks "way cool" (so says my seven year old son.) I was concerned with lack of side vents until I went riding this week. We've had some of the hottest days of the year (105+) but this helmet was cooler than my 27 vent Vigor, and lots more comfortable. Large air scoops on top really work. It won't fit every head, but got to give it top chilis for price, comfort, light weight, venting and looks.

Vigor, giro, bell

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.