Giro Xen Helmet

Giro Xen Mountain Helmet is the original and now iconic all-mountain helmet. With a smooth low-profile style it hints at skate-style influence, but its big vents, light weight, and expanded rear coverage define it as a high performance helmet for the mode

[May 15, 2012]
Guerdonian

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, Good Protection from the Sun and the Rocks, Looks Good, Decent Venting

When not moving or on slow ascents it can get hot.

I have owned two of these over the past 9 years. My favorite mountain helmet as it offers excellent coverage, looks nice, and sticks to your head like glue. I bought a new one 2 seasons ago simply because my sweat ate through the rubber clamping straps. Probably a good thing since helmets are supposed to be replaced every 5 years and that one was 7 years old.

[Mar 07, 2012]
Helmetless

OVERALL
Strength:

Really nice look (I am a high-end helmet), great air intakes, adjustable visor is a really cool feature, too.

Roc Loc 5 or whatever it is called, PLEASE GIRO DOUBLE CHECK REAR ADJUSTMENT SYSTEM FOR FUTURE HELMETS. It tends to release itself when I move my head slightly abrupt in any direction, sometimes I just press it in but sometimes have to stop 4-5 times an hour to re-adjust. The fit doesn't feel as comfy as in previous helmets

Wouldn't buy again, I do hope the Xar helmet can be better in such way.

Ive used Met Kaos, Met Kaos Ultimate, Fox Flux and even my oldie but goldie Prowell F50

[Feb 25, 2012]
frankenfisher

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, looks good, well ventilated

The helmets fit system breaks easily

The rock lock fit system is the weakness. Where the fit system in other helmets encircles the head the Giro system uses cheap plastic snaps along the sides. When tightening for a snug fit the bands pull against these fasteners causing them to easily break. It seems to be a problem with a lot of these, from what I read.
I bought this helmet because of the top choice from this site. At first it was a great helmet but in the end it was done in by the cheap fit system. I expected much better quality for a helmet in this price range.
Bottom line, you can get a better built helmet for less than the price of this one. I'll give it 3 chillies just because it was comfortable and cool while it worked.

Fox, UVEX, Lazer

[Dec 20, 2011]
epic510

OVERALL
Strength:

Rear coverage, cool, looks a lot better than a road helmet. Protects your head!

A little mushroomy, cost?

I crashed hard twice and both times ended up in the hospital with extensive injuries. Those injuries DID NOT include major head trauma. The first time I cracked the foam all the way through. The next I put a huge dent in the side of it. Maybe any helmet would of done the same. Maybe not? Bottom line is this helmet does what is supposed to do. $130 maybe a little pricey but it sure beats sucking your food through a straw...

Various cheap Bell and Giro

[Jun 30, 2010]
New Potty

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable, great ventilation, great looks, decent quality.

None at present.

It is superior to my old Louis Garneau helmet in almost every way. Feels great, lets in the air, and looks alright as well. Not as much of a mushroom head as the Garneau. I bought the Matt Chalk/White Weathered Camo. It won't heat up as quickly in the summer sun, and is a bit more visible on the road than some of the darker colours. By the way, it took a mere 3 days to arrive from Amazon, and that was across the Canada/US border. Very impressive!

It is a replacement for an old Louis Garneau helmet.

[Jun 21, 2010]
pancakemassacre

OVERALL
Strength:

comfy , lightwieght, good coverage , looks good , and can take some hits without denting or cracking

sweat tends to pool in the padding and it ends up dripping into the eyes , sometimes it has looked like a waterfall after riding .

good helmet , worth the cheese$$ even if you dont get it at cost.

[Feb 03, 2010]
eneff

OVERALL
Strength:

Perfect fit and comfortable. Looks good too.

None.

This helmet is really comfortable. I can't think of any way to improve it. And Giro Customer service is excellent (I needed padding to replace what I lost).

Giro Indicator

[Dec 29, 2009]
BokorSolo

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a great fitting helmet and I like the fact that it gives my head a generous amount of coverage and has nice big vents to keep my head cool in the summer. Color is great too.

None.

This was given to me as a gift from a friend who bought a size to small wore it once and found that it was too tight. Better to give it to me than let a perfectly good helmet go to waste. I love this helmet one of my personal favorites.

[Nov 03, 2009]
Hentaiboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. After 5 minutes riding I forget it's even on my head. Stays horizontal (other helmets tip forward with the visor obscuring vision). Lightweight and reasonably cool. Got a great deal on an '08 model. Mine is the 'Fabric G' which really stands out from the masses and their camo helmets.

Because there are only 3 sizes, fitting can be a bit tricky. I am right in the middle of M & L (59cm). Tried an L first, looked like a mushroom head. M is perfect with the adjustment system all the way open.

It's an expensive helmet and I have my concerns about the strap mounting system but at the price I got it it's a no-brainer.

Various (cheap) Bell helmets.

[Oct 29, 2009]
BarBender

OVERALL
Strength:

Aesthetics

The last helmet I bought
The only helmet I'll ever buy.

Too many to mention

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.