Giro Xar Helmet

Available At
Best Price At

Giro Xar Bicycling Helmet has long been the favorite for trail riders, enduro racers, or freeriders. Versatile, lightweight, and well ventilated, the Xar is good for your gnarly blast through your favorite trail or an all-day epic through the wilderness.

[Oct 31, 2013]
tulsaclint

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks
Adjustable visor

Channels sweat into your face, down your nose and in your eyes!
Ventilation is no better than other helmets I've tried.

I was excited to get a new helmet after my last Giro cracked after a crash. The helmet looks good, though not really any better than other helmets in this category. Upon putting it on, I liked the Roc Lock adjustment in the back. It may be just my head shape, but it didn't feel like it fit snuggly on the top front of my head. I added some pads to help with this. First ride with it I suddenly felt like I was ripped off! I live in an area with hot, humid summers, so riding during late spring to fall is guaranteed to get you drenched in sweat. The padding in the helmet looks like it would absorb a lot of sweat and keep it out of your face, but the pads kind of form 3 channels that converge a couple inches above your nose. This design pours sweat down the middle of your forehead, down your nose and into your eyes! I am constantly wiping sweat off of my forehead and it literally drips in streams off of my nose and from my forehead. You can move the muscles in your face/forehead and it will squeeze the pad, pouring a stream of sweat down your face or all over your bike lol. I'm surprised I never crashed due to constantly wiping the sweat from my forehead. I did remedy this somewhat with a cheap headband, but it's another thing around my head adding to the heat. I called Giro to see if they possibly had a pad redesign because I was sure they had heard complaints from others. They said it was the first time they heard of it! So much for help there, I guess I will just have to get another helmet, I won't go another hot season with this one. I really liked Giro and had helmets of theirs in the past but the Hex has made me look to other brands.

TLDR version: Poor padding design, sweat wicking, stay away!

Other Giro helmets

[Nov 06, 2012]
Erez R.

OVERALL
Strength:

Non. had more ventilated helmets in my life...

The helmet channel the sweat into the eyes/sunglasses. poor product!

Dont buy!

[Aug 31, 2012]
Dibbs

OVERALL
Strength:

This helmet fits me like a glove. Also, i am very pleased with the placement of the straps, they dont bother my ears like other high end helmets do.

If anything I would have to say the price, but my brain is worth it to me.

Ive had this helmet for a few months now and I would say I am more than happy with it. I once spent a good hour in a bike shop not knowing it was still strapped to my head because I forgot is was on because it is so comfortable. Ive had many other helmets from Giro and this is by far the best for me.

[Aug 31, 2012]
Robert

OVERALL
Strength:

Mine was a 2011 model. Great looking, outstanding fit, nothing broke or fell apart on it. The padding is easy to remove and clean. RocLoc makes for quick adjustments when you're wearing something like a cap under the helmet or when you aren't. Very adjustable straps to get the fit perfect. Most importantly, it does it's job in a crash!

The helmet does seem to channel sweat onto your sunglasses or into your eyes on longer/hotter rides. Not a problem on shorter/cooler rides. The adjustment for how far down the RocLoc sits on the back of your head is not very positive and will shift on its own.

Had the helmet for 2 years, 60-80 miles/week, in blazing hot to freezing Montana weather. The ease of adjustment while keeping the fit perfect is a real selling point on this helmet. It's very light, I've done 24 hour races on a single speed with choppy courses and never knew it was there. It moves plenty of air but bugs will get into it pretty easily too.

Recently had a big crash where the impact was hard enough to fracture my right shoulder blade. The helmet took a big hit on the right side, crumpling it in. No concussion, no head injury. Thanks, Giro!

I'm getting ready to buy another one, right now.

[Aug 30, 2012]
hags707

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, fit, weight

Sweat is not held in by liner always running or dripping(my 40$ giro didn't do this). Price if not on sale

I like the fit and looks, the only thing I don't like is the liner allows sweat to run down my forehead and drip out. I was not going to get this helmet but got a really great deal so went with it. I am happy with it

[Aug 28, 2012]
VegasWind

OVERALL
Strength:

The Orange is just awesome - but not pictured in this review..

Roc Loc 5 system, chin strap

I hate to admit it, but got this helmet for its looks, the orange is awesome. The chin strap seems to not be very comfortable, but I haven't worn a helmet that doesn't feel like a "helmet" either. If I can't feel that it is there, I doubt it is going to protect me much. No pressure points for me, and the padding feels great. Yes sweet will roll down your face. If you don't have sweat rolling down your face, you aren't riding hard enough.

Now the major problem...not sure if it is just bad luck with me but I am on my second Xar. On both my Xars' the Loc Rok 5 mechanism has broke. No crashes, no abuse, simply rode it, put in on the back seat of my car (left in the garage, out of sun) went to put it on and the twisty/tightening piece of this high speed Loc Roc 5 system explodes, breaks and crumbles. I have only been able to find a couple other people who have had the same issues on the internet, so I am hoping it was just bad luck But 2 of the same defects...hope this 3rd one holds up. If not, I think Giro needs to do more than replace it.

[Aug 09, 2012]
bishop29er

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks Good
Decent coverage
Roc loc works well
Xstatic padding doesn't stink

Not very light
Ventilation just ok
chin strap

Picked up this helmet for under a hundred bucks to replace my el cheapo giro road bike helmet. Had high hopes for a helmet this expensive, but I've been a little disappointed. The best thing about this helmet is that it looks sweet(especially in the orange). The roc loc system does a good job cinching the helmet onto your noggin, but the chin strap adjustments are bulky and not very comfortable. The biggest dissapointment about this helmet is that sweat literally pours out the front of it and into my face. I'm not sure if this is a ventilation issue or because there isn't much padding at all.
I'm going to hold onto this helmet for a while, but only because it was so expensive. I really cant tell a comfort difference between this and my old cheap helmet.
If I were to do it over again, I'd try the Uvex xp100.

[May 15, 2012]
eyun

OVERALL
Strength:

Great venting, coverage and light weight (for an AM helmet)

Not as snug a fit as the Feature

I bought this as an upgrade to my Hex. While it has a better fit than the Hex, occasionally I feel some pressure points. I have also tried on the Feature, which is a super comfortable AM helmet, but feel this one is better for warm summer riding due to better venting. Still think I might pick up the Feature for winter rides though.

Giro Hex

[May 11, 2012]
Hobbs305

OVERALL
Strength:

Vents great, light weight, fit is incredible (for me).

None at this time.

I purchased the Xar a few months ago. It replaced my E2 that broke after years of use. The Xar is very close to the E2 but fits better. The RocLoc system is updated from my old E2 and I am impressed on how it fits so well.

Like a previous review, I do tend to have sweat run into my eyes more now than with my E2, however, it's not that bad. The Xar does vent well and it's very noticeable on downhills.

This helmet works well and I recommend it to anyone looking for a helmet that breathes well.

Giro E2, Xen

[May 08, 2012]
jboyd122

OVERALL
Strength:

The Roc Loc 5 makes a very comfortable fit. When I'm riding in cold weather I can easily adjust it larger to fit my riding cap. When it's warm out I just make a turn on the knob and instantly it fits perfect.

Even after a year of wear the padding has no odor. This has been a big issue with other helmets I've owned.

None.

I highly recommend this helmet for anyone looking for a good quality helmet with a great fit system and padding. I wear this helmet on and off road. I do not ride with the visor, which is easily removable.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.