Smith Mainline Mips Full Face Helmet

Smith makes their debut into the world of ultra-light full-face helmets with the all-new Mainline MIPS. Featuring extensive ventilation and lightweight yet tough construction, this helmet offers the airy feel of a half-shell while providing downhill-certified coverage for a boost of confidence on rowdy trails. Advanced protective features include Smith''s unique Koroyd crumple zones that go above and beyond to disperse impact forces, as well as a MIPS protective layer that helps mitigate harmful oblique impacts.

[Nov 17, 2020]
RyderRider

OVERALL
Strength:

First ride impressions: Overall I liked it. It was warmer climbing uphill on a cool day than my POC Tectal Race Spin. That was to be expected. It didn't make a bunch of unwanted MIPS associated noise. I felt it had decent airflow on the downhill. My goggles didn't fog up. It doesn't feel heavy. The overall look seems a bit more compact than some other options. I plan to offer a better review as I get a bit more rides in with it. Second ride impressions: I took it out a much cooler day. When we started out on the trailhead, it was 36 degrees. I started off with a thin Smart wool balaclava. The helmet still fit fine with this additional layer. After about twenty minutes, I removed the balaclava and got busy on a long climb. The Mainline felt light and manageable. The snug cheek padding was beginning to feel more comfortable. I only occasionally heard any internal MIPS sound. But this was not loud enough or common enough to really bitch about. I am sure my panting was far louder. One thing that is noticeable on most full face helmets that I have seen is that the ears are covered up. I could still hear, but not as well. That, and when sweat was starting to roll off my head, occasionally it would drip into my ear. You can't really fix that unless you take the helmet off. Better just to suck it up and get used to minor things like that. LOL. I felt that even crawling along and building up some heat, that the helmet venting worked well. I purposely left it on for the climb. My thinking is that if you are going to use a helmet... USE the helmet! Once I got to the downhill portion, I put the Smith goggles on and picked up some speed. Again, the helmet felt nice and light. In other words, it didn't feel like I knew I was wearing a distractingly heavy helmet. I was glad to have the goggles as the cold wind makes my eyes water almost straight away. I felt that the goggles and helmet worked well together. Only when I stopped for a short break did the goggles, that I forgot that I had on, start to fog up. As soon as I started moving they cleared right up. Second ride summary: Still happy with purchase. Pros: Feels very well built, Compact for size, decent venting, and light weight. The chin bar distance from face seems good, and not crazy far out there. I could still use my Osprey hydration from the large mouth vent. It is a bit tighter to try to come in from underneath, but can be done. Front mouth opening large enough to spit through cleanly if needed. Gross

Cons: D-ring chin strap closure takes getting used to, Warmer than half shells on climbs, Hydration takes a bit of relearning as chin bar situated semi close to face & Koroyd protection system negates use of through-vent light mounts. I believe they offer their own mounting solution. (I haven't figured it out and so far, Smith has not responded to my inquires concerning light mounts.) I'll feel better once I get the light situation sorted.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2020

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.