Wiley X (Protective Optics) Rebel Eyewear

Wiley X (Protective Optics) Rebel

[May 30, 2012]
Covenant

OVERALL
Strength:

Fits my face well.

Fogs,sweat rolls into the lens and stays there. Light Adjusting lenses do not adjust. They are always clear.

I paid extra for the light adjusting lenses and it's a waste of money. They never darken no matter how bright it gets.

Contacted customer service online and have never received a response. Stay away from this brand, they suck!

[Jun 17, 2009]
nuck_chorris

OVERALL
Strength:

ANSI certified, good sun protection , easy to change out lenses.

foggy at times , wind protection not all its hyped up to be. weak flimsy frames

as mentioned above they have good sun and they also protect my eyes from spider webs and branches. these glasses even with the foam still let lots of air into my eyes. they feel like they are going to break every time I put them on but they don't so they have a nice flex to them.

[email protected]

lots of cheap ones

[Mar 23, 2006]
Jay Johnson

OVERALL
Strength:

Crap

Crap

I have been in the Army 14 years. I have used numerous types of eyewear. I don't ride bikes but I had to tell someone how crappy Wiley-X is. I have been issued from the Army two types of Wileys, don't know which type and don't care. They both have sucked. They fog up, sweat pools in the eyecups, and they are made cheaply. Don't buy them.

Oakley and ESS

[Jun 26, 2007]
Bill

OVERALL
Strength:

Come in various sizes ranging from fat heads to pencil necks. Look pretty good on your face.

Extremely fragile frames!! The orginals began cracking on their own around the eyehole; still under warranty, so I sent 'em back. The replacement began to crack again! I babied them and, a few days later, the hairline became a complete separation overnight! Wiley Customer Service was rude and crude: "No longer under warranty; buy another pair." Fat chance Wiley - you burned me once so I'm going to sing.

Wiley X is extremely self-overrated. Purchase at your own risk! Wiley X talks the talk but doesn't live up anywhere near expectations.

[Feb 28, 2007]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

They came in Black.

FOG, FOG, FOG

This is for the Wiley X P-17, I was bamboozled into these by my local eye doctors office. Needed a RX so I wanted a sunglass style. these were all they offered up. I could not get them to stop fogging up. The Doc offered me several ANTI FOG wipes and they still did not work. Tried new lenses, still FOG, FOG, FOG. Lens kept popping out.

I RETURNED THEM IN A WEEK......

Maui Jim's

[Jul 09, 2001]
Dana

OVERALL
Strength:

Three sets of lenses for all conditions

They're a piece of sh#*t and broke on the lower part of the rim that holds the lens. I didn't even drop, mash, sit-on, or in general abuse them

DON'T BUY THESE...0 flaming turds for these if I could

None this bad

[Dec 22, 2000]
Hank

OVERALL
Strength:

Visually cool.

poor construction - these babies self-destruct within months of purchase. My frame chipped & broke in 2 places. Lenses scratch easily. What a rip for nearly $100.

You'd be better off spending your money on beer.

Oakleys & Smiths

[Aug 28, 2005]
ANDREW

OVERALL
Strength:

UHHH

ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE

THESE ARE THE WILEY X SG GOGGLE GLASSES THAT ARE PHOTOCHROMATIC. THEY ARE COMPLETE JUNK. THE LENSES ARE VVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYY SLOW TO CHANGE AND THE CHANGE IS VIRTUALLY IMPERCEPTIBLE. THE FRAMES ARE CHEAPER THAN ANYTHING I HAVE SEEN. THE ATTACHMENT SYSTEM IS A JOKE. THE TEMPLES ARE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. THE LENSES FOG LIKE CRAZY. THESE ARE THE WORST THINGS I HAVE PUT ON MY FACE, INCLUDING A FAT CHICK.

WHY DID I BUY THEM YOU ASK? WELL, I WANTED GOGGLE STYLE EYE PROTECTION AND SUN RELIEF THAT I COULD SAFELY WEAR ON THE TRAILS. THE IDEA WAS TO FIND SOME PHOTOCHROMIC LENSES THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO SEE IN ALL LIGHT CONDITIONS OF THE MOUNTAIN. THESE WILEYS GOT SO MUCH HYPE FROM DESERT STORM AND ALL, SO I BOUGHT THEM ONLINE. NO LOCAL DEALERS. HORRIBLE, ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. I CANNOT USE THEM WHILE RIDING. I FEEL VIOLATED FOR $80.

[Apr 23, 2005]
Don

OVERALL
Strength:

good wind protection when wearing contacts

cheap frames
light adjusting lenses don't get dark
interchangable lenses very difficult to change
overall poor quality

I originally found Wiley-X when looking for "windless" sunglasses for fast road riding. My contacts would often dry out on fast downhills with other brands of sunglasses, even full wrap-around styles.

I got the Wiley-X model XL-1 with light adjusting (photochromic) lenses. The frames have a foam gasket on the inside that seals to the face when the glasses are held on tightly by their strap. The wind blocking is good if the frames will fit your face. My frames are somewhat warped but fit well enough when worn tightly.

The "light adjusting" lenses are a very expensive joke. Even in the brightest direct sunlight at midday they only darken very slightly. Partically speaking, a clear lens would work just as well and is much less money.

The interchangable lenses are another problem. They are so difficult to remove that the frame is in danger of breaking at the bottom, very impractical.

Overall quality of the frames, lenses, and cheap plastic case is at the junk level. Our armed forces use these glasses, but probably because Wiley-X was the low bidder. My advice, if you want a pair of Wiley-X get them from eBay for $35 for the XL-1 with grey lenses (comes with clear lens too). Or look at the Panoptx.

numerous brands of sunglasses and riding glasses

[Apr 22, 2005]
mike

OVERALL
Strength:

none that i can see.

made in taiwan
poor wind protection
poor fit on face

made in tiwan. buyer beware. your paying for there advertisements.
poor quality.

nike

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.