Race Face Flank Leg Armor and Pads

Available At

-Similar to the Ambush, but with Pedal Bite Protection shin coverage -Advanced d3o PU-based cellular polymer absorbs extreme impacts -Abrasion resistant 600 denier nylon front panel for added protection -Lightweight 3mm vented neoprene hugs the leg for stay-put comfort, total freedom of movement and optimized moisture control -Terry fabric is laminated to the inner soft shell for added comfort -Hidden knee stabilization pad centers the patella to ensure optimal support through the knee's full range of pedaling motion -Triple density foam padding at sides offers increased protection -Open back Fit Specific Strapping System allows for a wide range of adjustment, straps on in seconds

[Nov 03, 2018]
shvantz

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit well. Comfortable

The d30 pad stopped working. It stays soft. Raceface is giving me a hard time about warranting it.

Price Paid:
[Dec 18, 2015]
bubba13
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable to pedal in. Just the right weight and amount of protection. Can put on without removing shoes.

None so far.

See Strengths. FYI: I have not crash tested these yet.

POC

[Dec 22, 2013]
Sergio Amezcua

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding protection

Straps stretch after time, so pads don't stay put due to lack of snugness.

I ride at Bootleg Canyon in Nevada. Very rough riding. I go all out, an most of my riding is at night. So I need the best protection I can get. The pads stayed in place very well while new. After a while the straps stretched and the pads would slip down during my downhill assaults on the roughest sections. They became totally useless after about 50 rides. However, they stayed put better than other pads I've ridden while new. They also protected very well above the knee area on high speed crashes. Other guards I used would leave the upper knee area exposed and I would end up with road rash in this area. I will buy them again, but I wish the straps would not stretch so soon.

[Jan 10, 2012]
PedroC

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable even when pedaling for long hours. They stay in place and give a safe feeling providing good coverage all around the knee. I paid good price (£40) for last years model, I'm not sure they are worth the full price (£90). I haven't crashed on them yet but I have only heard good things about the d3o material.

Middle strap is too long and will needed to be shortened soon to be of any use. It gets a bit too hot after a while but nothing too bad, great in the winter as I don't need to worry about trousers.

I am happy with this product and would probably buy again. The middle strap being too long is my only complaint but maybe if you have abnormally huge calves the length will be just right.

661 Kyle Straight and 661 Comp Knee/Shin guards

[Oct 26, 2010]
Varaxis

OVERALL
Strength:

Good protection, thin/low profile, lightweight and well ventilated

Chafes back of knee, need to put on without shoes on

661s were comfortable, until they were destroyed and I opted for a hard shell pad. A little pricy at $60.

Roach pads chafed the front of my left knee raw since I had a scar there before, which swelled and blistered and scarred again repeatedly. They were also big and banged against my bike occasionally. Got them on sale for $42 shipped.

I figured by shopping for pads around $50, I was compromising on something, either comfort, protection, longetivity, or whatever. So I tried these, which run for $90 or so. I find that they're comfy enough to put on every ride, even in the summer and on easy XC rides, they don't bump and rub my bike as much as the hard shells, and seem to hold up well. I admit that there's dark scars on the back of my knees on the inner ligament due to the size small pads chafing me there due to poor cutout placement. I've only hit the them once or twice at around 15 MPH--I didn't find myself even touching the pads or looking down at them after getting up (I'd adjust my elbow pads every time I land on them, since they shift). These give me confidence, protection-wise, against impacts on sharp and/or rough stuff and seem like they're hold up better than typical soft pads (rips) and hard shells (stitching comes undone).

All in all, very expensive and don't live up my full expectations, but are probably the best pads out there. Just beware of some fit issues if you wear size small.

Roach Rally FR, 661 Kyle Strait

[Aug 10, 2010]
rpweaver

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, flexible for riding, Great protection during my many falls

Vary happy with the protection this product provides. After reserching other hard shell systems the 3Do technology is the way to go. Very comfortable to ride in, the style is aggressive looking and the quality seems to be good but I've only used the Flank Leg Armour a few times. I was way out of my league with the trails I was riding and the Flank Leg kept me injury free (at least my knees anyways). Wish they had a similar product for the elbows/forearm.

• Available At
$115.99