Winwood Instep Pedal Insert Pedal

[Jun 13, 2011]
NetNinja

OVERALL
Strength:

Ease of use

I have no earthly idea WTH everyone is talking about. I have used these insteps for years!(Yes I still have them) What an easy conversion without having to swap out my pedals. On the weekends I twisted them off and used my racing shoes. I rode my bike everyday for 10 years! The straps wore out after 9 years. I wish I had a pair for my Campy pedals, so guess what I did! I swaped the pedals out for the look Pedals with the insteps installed. Oh by the way I rode that Cannondale everywhere on base with steel toed combat boots on, so don't even tell me they are cheap.

[Apr 20, 2010]
pyscle4

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy in and out, adjustable to 4 positions

Strap wore out after about 7 years

I love them!

[Nov 24, 2008]
entplex

OVERALL
Strength:

Great concept, fairly good implementation.

Could be made out of a stronger plastic or even offer metal cages.

Extremely convenient to be able to keep the same pedals on (I ride Look pedals) and go from using your biking shoes on a long ride to using normal street shoes at night or for commuting. They could be made of a bit beefier plastic, but are overall fairly strong. I have used two pairs of them for quite some time (6-8yrs) and finally got the piece that is held by the strap to crack when pulling up it hard. I would suggest these to anyone with clip-in pedals who wants the versatility to use biking shoes or normal shoes for riding around.

MKS Steel cages, standard stock toe clips that come on many bikes, Look pedal system with SIDI Genius 5 shoe.

[Sep 15, 2001]
Gordon Smith

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast and easy way to adapt your clip-in pedals for normal shoes, lightweight, can be ordered for SPD or Look-type pedals

Light weight because it's all plastic: toe clip is pretty flimsy, platform is fairly small, sometimes hard to release adapter from pedal, a little expensive for what you're actually getting

This product is great for quickly adapting your pedals so you can ride to the coffee shop, etc, while wearing your normal shoes.

Essentially, it's a plastic platform/clip with a SPD cleat bolted into the bottom. It's somewhat adjustable for shoe size. The platform is pretty small, only a little bigger than a standard SPD pedal and has no teeth or ridges. Traction is aided by a small piece of adhesive sandpaper that you stick over the screw heads.

It is definitely NOT a substitute for a real cage/clip pedal, for any serious off-road riding or racing or for any use that requires a super stable, responsive pedal platform. Of course, it's not really intended for these uses anyway.

If you want this sort of dual-purpose pedal for both on and off-road use, you might be better off with one of those combination pedals that have a standard cage platform on one side and an SPD clip on the other. However, I don't know if you can put clips and straps on these if you want to...

[Jun 09, 2005]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Great idea

Simply doesn't work

An astonishingly bad implementation of a very good and very simple idea. A product like this would be extremely useful
to a lot of people, but this one simply doesn't work.
Because Winwood designed the platform to work only with their own proprietary cleats, the user can't choose a cleat that will actually work with his or her pedals - the cleats included neither locked in stably nor released (at all) from my Shimano pedals. The rear of the platform extends too far
back, apparently to provide support for soft shoes, but with the result that the pedal is very difficult to flip over in order to enter (it doesn't help that it is made of slippery plastic). I don't know how products like this ever make it out of marketing departments and into production. Don't the manufacturers ever simply try them out?

If there's a similar product available, I don't know about it.

[May 28, 2002]
Eric Scheidler

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty cool concept -- I was excited to be able to go all-clipless without sacrificing practicality.

Rather cheapish, but not very expensive. Totally useless for someone like me with size 13 shoes. I wouldn't recommend these for anyone with larger shoes than 10 or 11. "XL" doesn't mean jack. It's a midgets world.

Cool idea, but the larger-footed cyclist was totally overlooked in the design -- without any apparent good reason.

Don't know of anything else like it.

[Jun 19, 2004]
Rick

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy way to convert clipless on a new bike until your ready for them. Or if like me you always used Toe Clips and dont see the need to cuff yourself to your bike:-)

Expensive for what you get and they are way too small except for the smallest footed riders. Im a size 11 but even my friend with a size 10 finds them way too small.

Im on my way to the LBS to buy new pedals with toe clips. These Winwoods are a great idea but the implementation is severely lacking. They are way too small and dont allow me to position my foot properly at all. Makes pedaling a chore even on flats. Save your money unless your a size 9 or smaller.

None and dont know of any

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.