Syncros Mental Pedal

• 12mm needle bearing
  • Grease ports
  • Curved foot bed
  • Replaceable cleat-style traction pins
  • Investment cast stainless steel webbed pedal body

[Jul 31, 2018]
ronank

OVERALL
Strength:

Loved these pedals. Indestructible, grip so well to my 5.10s, look great.

Synchros service is unfortunately at the level of the cheapest components. I am absolutely flabbergasted at just how bad it is. First, I was channeled through Scott bikes. They act as some kind of a middle man. Then, I was told to take pictures of my whole bike, so they could identify it, not just the pedals, and there were hold-ups until they got that. There was much back and forth, where I communicated politely, and with full information. My problem was with removing the cap on one pedal to change the bearings. The alloy of this cap is very soft, and the allen socket rounded. I wanted to confirm the direction of the thread on the non drive side pedal, and obtain a new cap if possible. After going to a lot of trouble communicating, I was never even told the direction of thread - the Scott representative finally telling me that Synchros had told him to tell me they do not have replacement caps and have recommended that "I purchase new pedals". Well I certainly won't be. Not for that kind of disgusting service, no other word, relative to the high cost of these pedals.

Purchased:
New
[Mar 16, 2010]
moutnbiker

OVERALL
Strength:

STRONG, tons of grip in ALL conditions from sloppy mud to super dry.

heavy, retail is expensive so get them on sale.

These pedals are in my opinion, the strongest and have the most grip out of any pedal out there. I would only recommend that ship protection be used with these because they will take pieces from your leg. They even come with a Warning sticker on them. These Pedals are so strong that I smashed then on a bolder at high speed and my crank arm was twisted and bent to sh*t, and even ripped from the insert. Not a single thing was damaged on the pedal.

POS 50/50's, xpedo, other flats

[Feb 22, 2010]
stevenator

OVERALL
Strength:

bad ass grippy pedals. strong!!

i wear 661 shin guards but i caught my calf doing some serious damage.(no stitches though)

thes pedals kick ass! i wear 5-10's and the combo wont let you get off sometimes. they are the grippiest pedals ive ever owned. those pins will get in the back of your head if you let them. all you have to do is learn to ride it out and f@#$ fear.
they're a little expensive but i think well worth it.

50/50's, big earls, xpedo's ect.....

[Aug 12, 2009]
Amish Car Fanatic

OVERALL
Strength:

The stainless steel version is literally indestructible. I have bashed these things against boulders at speed and have expected most of the claws to be obliterated only to find that they are barely scratched. Theres another review saying that they look new even after significant riding, this is true.

Heavy (ish)
~400g if im not mistaken

stainless steel pedals that look like they can take a bite out of your shin (and they will), this translates to A - MA - ZING grip.

bombproof

but a little pricey, if you find some below 150 BUY BUY BUY

Primo supertenderizers (crazy design, crazy grip) , Wellgo (mid range, decent)

[Oct 07, 2008]
daisycutter

OVERALL
Strength:

The strenght of these pedals is amazing. I have hit these on rock,trees,logs and they look nearly new. I inject these with grease about once amoth to keep them smooth. I have had no issues with them

none yet except price

Great perchase love them have them on both my m1s

atomic trail kings sloppy pedals that look god but perform poorly and don't get me started abou there service.

[Jun 16, 2008]
brandonmarkovetz

OVERALL
Strength:

positive reviews

poor tolerance in the bearings

I have only had these pedals for about a month. Actually I am on my third set so I haven't had much time to ride them. I bought them because I wanted the most durable pedal I could buy. They had good reviews so I tried them. After putting about 150 miles on them, just on paved bike trails to and from school, I noticed some substantial play on the end by the crank. I called Syncros directly and asked them what was going on. They told me this was absolutely not normal and that I should send them in for warranty. Well I am on my third set now and all of them have been the same, the second set was even binding. Now Syncros tells me that they have never had a set fail and if they do they will replace them. Time will tell if they hold up or not, but with about .5mm to 1mm of play at the crank end of the pedal I don't see how the seal can do it's job in keeping grit out. I guess I just expected more from this company and its highly touted product.

other flats

[Jul 07, 2007]
Lucas Mucas

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice wide platform, awesome mud-push through, grippy grippy pins.

MINE CRACKED

I was really into the mentals for a while but ended up cracking the thin webbing of the pedals on the right side. They were great for a while, and were very grippy and provided a large surface, but they're just too milled out to take repeated large impacts. Maybe I should learn to coast through the rockgardens, huh?

It would be a good XC pedal I suppose.

Jackshots (sucked), BMW shinburgers (soooo sooo grippy), lotsa wellgos

[Dec 21, 2006]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

- absolutely bombproof
- look good
- incredible grip
- very easy to service

- expensive
- heavy

I have the stainless steel version of the Mental pedals. They're the most durable pedals I've ever seen. I've had them on my DH bike for 2 seasons now, and have bashed them off countless rocks and logs. There's not even a mark on them, and look as good as the day they were new. They're also very easy to service, as the inner pins can be removed to open up grease ports. I always pull them apart to grease them however because it's just as easy. The grip that they have is almost scary. With a good pair of shoes (5.10s) it feels like I'm clipped in, but make sure you wear shin pads, because they'll open you up for stitches if not. They're a little heavy, but on the DH bike, who cares, and they're very expensive.

- Azonic A-Frames (very nice)
- Daredevil (Devinci brand, low quality)
- Snafu BMX (bearings didn't last)

[Mar 15, 2007]
jbob

OVERALL
Strength:

-Durable
-Traction

-Weight
-Cost

Have owned these pedals for 2 years and rode everything from deep mud to dust and never had an issue with slipping off the pedal, especially with the 5.10's. These will take a beating and will still look like new. I do a lot of riding in the Pacific NW and the occasional trip to Whistler and love these pedals. Only flattened one pin, but that is cuz I came down really hard on a rock and I'm 6'4" and 250lbs, so I don't think the average rider will have this problem. If you are looking for a pedal that will last forever and you will never slip off, then this is the pedal to buy. You will probably never have to buy another pedal to replace these. They are pricey but if you save up for them you won't regret it.

kona jack $%^!, 5050x

[Jul 08, 2006]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

great grip, owner serviceable, made of stainless so their practacally indestructable.

none, other than if your building a light rig these would not be for you. Also I would'nt recommend them if your afraid of tearing up your shins.

If you want a pair of pedals you'll never have to worry about these are it. If your a weight weenie forget it.

bmw shinburgers and I have a pair of Morriority pedals that are only few in existance. They are awesome!

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.