Speedplay Frog Pedal Pedal

Speedplay Frog Chrome-Moly Pedal: Not just a great off-road pedal system, Speedplay Frog pedals are ideal for road riders who prefer a recessed, walkable cleat. Like their amphibious namesake, Frog pedals are equally at home in dry or muddy terrain.

[Nov 18, 2020]
brenbobb01

OVERALL
Strength:

Plenty of helpful info about this parts.

Let me introduce the pool deck pavers bradenton.

Used
[Nov 15, 2020]
jbozo89

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability of pedal, weight, float, simplicity, low maintenance

Used
[Jun 16, 2020]
GoBigWest

OVERALL
Strength:

Have been riding mountain bikes 25+ years and this is by far my favorite pedal because it allows my foot to "float" without disengaging. I saw a review that suggested that they disengage but that has not been my experience. I have a set of these on each of my mountain bikes and have put them through all kinds of water, mud, dirt and rocks and have only had one failure when I cracked a pedal on a hard rock hit. They have no moving parts other than the bearings in the pedal so there is literally nothing to fail. I grease them about once a year. After Wahoo Fitness bought Speedplay last fall, there have been supply issues and these pedals are demanding very high prices on eBay, but I understand from Wahoo that they will have these back in stock this month.

If you are used to SPD pedals and like the feel of having your feet locked into a particular position, then these will be uncomfortable to you at first. My knees always hurt after a ride on SPD pedals because SPDs do not have enough float, but some people swear by that "locked in" feel.

Price Paid:
$138
New
Model Year:
2016
[Sep 14, 2019]
james_rennie

OVERALL
Strength:

utter simplicity, there is nothing to go wrong. Ive regressed via the grease port once a year for the last 10 years, and that's it! Smooth float, easy clip in, easy clip out.

the design of the smooth twisting float relies on the shoe to pedal interface surfaces being cleaning. A bit of mud, rainwater, road dirt are absolutely fine, but occasionally something grittier like sand can get in there and make the action a little less smooth. A couple of quick foot ankle twists will clear it.

New
Model Year:
2006
[Apr 13, 2017]
Jonathan Friedman

OVERALL
Strength:

Have used for > 10 yrs. People complain that it is a fluffy clip-in, but after one minor home-made modification and a minor adjustment, you can get it to clip in with a click, and stay clipped in fairly tightly: 1.) on the shoe, put a small, fitted piece of rubber (e.g. a scissor-cut tire under-boot from a tire patch kit) between the shoe sole and the "lip" of the cleat (over, or in place of, the manufacturer-provided squishy white foam). 2) Then tighten the shoe to the pedal (ON-THE-BIKE) using the horizontal set screw that is on the cleat towards the back of the shoe, making sure that the lip of the cleat comes all the way down after the set screw has been tightened (if the set screw goes in too far, then the lip of shoe's cleat will be stuck over the pedal's circular metal ring and won't be able to make it all of the way down; if the set screw is not in far enough, then clipping to the pedal will be loose)

Over time, especially if you use foot-to-the-ground for braking, the metal on the shoe's clip can wear down and the cleat needs to be replaced. Think I once saw sparks coming off the back when I had to make an emergency stop on a paved road at the bottom of a fast downhill.

Really like this especially after I figured out how to get it to clip in tightly with a "click".

[Jun 16, 2015]
Craig Hicks

OVERALL
Strength:

Worked perfectly on my right foot.

Dangerous and painful unwanted release on left foot. Fixed with easy modification using hand drill and table clamp.

The Speedplay road cleats "Zero" worked really well for me solving foot, knee and ankle pain throughout a 600k brevet. Finally I undeerstood that especially my left foot naturally has a huge rotation during cycling moving, and shouldn't be forced to stay straight. So I wanted to try the SDP "Frog" version with SDP sandals for summer heat. But my left foot heel kept rotating out to the release position, especially when climbing or sprinting hard, ouch! Called Speedplay customer support but they just told me to add the metal plate under the cleat, which didn't really address the problem.
The problem was solved by adding extra rotation before reaching the heal release position. This is easy to do by rotating the cleat as far as possible before screwing down. BUT - then the left foot was kind of pigeon toed at the other (i.e. non-release) float limit - that would also have been unusable. So I modified the non-release float limit by drilling the limit stops on the pedal (one each side) with a hand drill just enough so that the heel could almost reach the chainstay. The material is black plastic, so is easy to modify. Caution is required because scraping away too much could lead to the pedal releasing in the non-release direction. However, there is plenty of margin and it is easy to do it successfully with a hand drill.

I am sure the pedals are now warranty voided, but I plan to phone customer service and ask anyway.

There is the question of why the "Zero" did not have unwanted release although the "Frog" did, even though the Frog is supposed to have greater float (20 deg vs 17 deg). My guess is it is because (1) there is a little spring to damp movement in the "Zero", but not in the "Frog", and (2) with the Zero I am using road shoes, which are light and tight enough not to swing with the shoe, whereas with the "Frog" I am using sandals, which are heavy and loose enough to swing out further than the foot, especially when the foot's heel makes rapid outward sideways movements.

I would suggest to Speedplay that they make Frog cleats with two version of metal stops, one as present, and one to allow the non-release float to go further. (I modified the pedals, not the cleats, because I don't have equipment to modify metal, and because modifying the pedals once is easier than modifying cleats at every replacement.

After examining the "Frog" system closely, I am fairly certain that, if the cantilever latch is working properly, using the cantilever latch shim if necessary, then unwanted releases can only happen when the cleat is rotated as far as the release angle relative to the pedal. My guess is that 10 deg from center is eight sigma fine (*) for most people (and my right foot) but for others not at all. However, for those others adding just a few degrees more float until release will also put them in the eight sigma zone. It is something Speedplay should consider because unwanted pedal release is really painful and dangerous and causes horrific reviews.

* eight sigma would be one unwanted pedal release about every 250 years of cycling time at 60 rpm cadence.

I'm giving 3 out of 5 only because understanding the shortcomings and making this system usable required a few hours of effort and probably voided the warranty. If Speedplay had addressed this problem so I didn't have to they would have got 5 of 5 from me.

Zero

[May 31, 2015]
Hank

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight.

Not for daily rides. Finicky in clipping in, and far too easy to come undone. If you want reliability, go for the SPD pedals.
I rebuild mine with both the kit for the pedal that comes with new covers for the anchor bracket as well as new cleats for the shoes. At the very first ride, it came loose in the middle of a climb. Not worth trying to save a few grams due to its lightweight, and forfeit reliablility.

After trying all kinds of options, finally ordered a set of SPD pedals/cleats and start enjoying riding again instead of suffering the constant frustration of trying to make these pedals work.

[Apr 02, 2015]
Garth

OVERALL
Strength:

Stupid simple, no springs, no adjustments, lots of float, light. Impossible to blow out of if cleat angle is set correctly.

Cannot think of anything other than hard to find.

In the 30+ years I have been riding I have tried almost every clipless pedal. I still ride the Frogs I bought in the mid 90's. They last forever. I have replaced one set of cleats in that time. I love the float and the ease in which I can get out of the pedal when needed and never having an accidental release. A previous review said they were constantly releasing on the rider. This is impossible if the cleats are adjusted for the proper foot angle. Work in snow, mud, sand or whatever. Put a couple drops of chain lube on the cleat every now and then to keep the float smooth.

[Mar 14, 2015]
mike scheidt

OVERALL
Strength:

easy in and light

too easy out

ruined many a ride with the unwanted lift out

[Jan 13, 2015]
Chrispeed

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy in/out, unbelievable float reduces knee fatigue, low weight even in chromoly version. Last forever and ever.... And ever

Cleats: they Last years but when they fail- they're done. Gotta get new ones. Last item, to get out is only a one way venture. Rotate heels outward. Got caught on a scrub tree once, between the crank and the frame, getting out was comical.

I have had my chromoly Frogs since the late 90's (leave the old thing out of it) they've gone through four separate bikes with me and taken a beating without ever a whimper. I like to ride hard, bash through rock gardens, not afraid to launch... these babies can take it. Muddy or dusty, makes no difference. Keep them greased up and you'll not regret them. The amount of float is amazing, you won't feel "locked in" with these float is exactly that- FLOAT!! No stress on the knees. To exit simply rotate heels outward, had only one questionable moment, one time when I managed to get hung up on a small scrub oak. It was trapped between the crank arm and the frame. In this position I couldn't rotate my heel outward as the tree was against the inside of the toe box on my Sidi. Had to back uphill until I got free- had to laugh, gravity is a beaytch!! Other thing, the cleats, they use a hinge-like ramp to engage. This is held in by a plastic an siliconized base. When this little baby is worn it will fail, usually just falls off. Mind you in all my years I've only gone through 3 sets of cleats (on the third now). Both previous sets failed suddenly, without warning but took years of torture and blissful abuse before this occurred. Despite these two small details I would take these pedals any day of the week, season of the year, wet or dry, dusty or muddy- ANYDAY!

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.