Shimano XTR Race PD-M980 XC Pedal

The new Shimano XTR Race pedals are all about maximizing output and efficiency by connecting you to your bike like never before. Boasting four times more shoe/pedal contact area than the previous generation XTR pedal, the Race pedals channel every ounce of your effort to your rear wheel.

[Apr 16, 2015]
Sarunas

OVERALL
Strength:

weight, size...

Price... Pedal spindle break and i didn't understand how... didn't ride long time and nobody was riding and i came to garage, try to ride and pedal fall down, spindle was break.

I'm saying GOOD BYE to Shimano pedals... Some socks has longest term of life than a Shimano pedals... I got two pairs of pedals and i'm dissapointed of both of then.

[Jan 29, 2015]
sethbotwick

OVERALL
Strength:

Customer suport

Shimano had some problems with these pedals. I went through two sets. They replaced the broken sets no questions asked.

I like the pedals until they fail. Shimano replaced them quickly.

[Jan 20, 2015]
Knobby4me

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent retention, that's about it.

Can I just say POS? I've got two pairs new with <500mi on each and they both developed slop in the bearings. Had one pair serviced at the LBS which fixed the slop for a few rides. The little felt (or whatever material) washer is a joke and lasted a dozen or so rides. I'm guessing the interest in lower weight and cost reduction is to blame.

The design is simply flawed and a recall needs to be issued. Friends have the same pedals and the same issues, no exceptions. Have purchased 970s (used) to replace them and they are rock solid. Hard to find them now. I'm a sucker for Shimano after years of losing faith on CB pedals so I go back to the well with them.

Would have so much appreciation and respect Shimano if would recall and replace. No chance. The new 9000 series hopefully fixed these miserable things.

[Oct 04, 2014]
scoutcat

OVERALL
Strength:

compact, feels like it grabs show well, easy to unclip

tragically fragile. complete failure at less than 100mi of use. spindle and body separated.

hard to beat XTR components but these pedals break and i'm not the only one.

time atac

[Jan 22, 2014]
mlkovacs

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable, perform well

Develop bearing play soon after initial use...2 months for me.

I've used Shimano pedals since the 90s. Still happy overall, but I must admit that I'm a little disappointed with this specific model (PD-M980), due to the excessive play. It's bad now that it's been 4 years. I'll probably go with the XT next time (PD-M780). My prior XT pedals had zero play after 6 years. However, it's not a deal breaker.

[Jan 04, 2013]
icsloppl

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, feel, solid clip-in and release.

None yet. Maybe they're still too new to fail...

A lot more people than i would expect have had issues with them, but so far mine have been perfect. Being mostly a road rider, I like the solid float characteristics, which are like a lot of road pedals.
You can also get them for far less than MSRP of course, which makes them a decent deal IMO.

Time, Ritchey.

[Nov 19, 2012]
Davo

OVERALL
Strength:

Were none. Have owned 2 sets of the old XTR pedals and they were far superior to these.

Poor float feel when riding, have to lubricate pedal before riding. Bushes flogged out after 8 months of riding, couldn't get get spares cause everyone else had the same problem.

Worst pedals I have en-counted in 12 years of riding. Have just purchased my first set of egbeters.

[Jul 26, 2012]
Mike
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great look, good performance

Bearing slop after very short period of use, like so many other reviewers.

These are obviously a dud product and a blight on the stellar XTR reputation. Pedal shoppers, buy something else. Shimano, these have destroyed my faith in XTR. These are Hall of Shame material.

Several Shimano SPD's + Wellgo, Ritchey, Crank Bros.

[Jul 09, 2012]
Dave S

OVERALL
Strength:

- Good solid platform
- Adjustable cleat tension

- Poor bearing quality
- Poor seal quality/fit
- Poor performance in muddy conditions
- Worthless warranty backup and customer service

I used these pedals with Shimano M315 shoes, and found the pedal/shoe interface very solid - it felt great on the road or for any rides not requiring a bit of walking/running, but as soon as the shoe sole got mud through it, engaging the shoe into the pedal became very difficult. This was never an issue with the older (M970 model) pedals in my experience.

The main issue I have with these pedals is the longevity of them - I went through a set of bearings in ~8 months. I'm fastidious when it comes to maintenance, and have never experienced a failure like this in such short time.

One of the reasons I (used to) buy XTR components was because of the excellent 3 year warranty offered - apparently this is of little value. My local distributor insisted it was my fault the left pedal seized on the axle, and that the right had excessive slop. Both pedals had crappy seals, meaning they needed adjustment/re-greasing every 50 hours or so.

I've been a SPD fan for years, having used almost all of Shimano's pedal range on the road and MTB, but after this shocking service I'll be swapping my pedals out for other brands as they require replacement.

I wouldn't recommend these pedals at all - they are expensive, don't perform well in inclement conditions, don't last anywhere near as long as they should, and have a flimsy warranty on them.

M970 XTR, M540, M520, M505

[Apr 12, 2012]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, good power transfer.

Bearings wear prematurely.

After around 1000 miles bearings are gone. For the price of these pedals, they should last much longer. First time I've had problems with Shimano pedals. Too bad. I hope Shimano addressess this.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.