Shimano PD-M515 Pedal

• Dual-sided engagement, dual-sided tension adjustment
  • Cartridge-style chrome-moly axle
  • Uses SM-SH51 (stock) or SM-SH55 multi-release cleat

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 31, 2012]
    TEUFELHUENDEN

OVERALL
    Strength:

This is a very durable product. I have used it for over 8 years and it still is humming along. If you want a clipless ride Shimano is it. The rest are lighter; however, good luck adjusting them because most are non-adjustable...especially compared to the versatility of Shimano.

Weight...pretty heavy. Can get a newer pair now for about $50 and 60 plus grams lighter.

I bought these for my gary fisher full suspension years ago. Transferred them recently to my new build. Love them. Time to upgrade though to Shimano Pd M540. I have put literally thousands of miles on these and they are just starting to wear. They are full adjustable and I am not sure why others are having problems with the adjustments. Maybe their little girl ankles don't have the power to twist out of them...lol. Anyway, if you are looking for a good bang for your buck these are great for everyday riders. I would not recommend them for racing due to weight; but, if you ride almost every day like me you want something that is durable...and these are definately durable.

Candy.

[Oct 30, 2011]
    325racer

OVERALL
    Strength:

NONE

Consistancy, reliability,

These pedals came on this bike when new. The rest of the bike uses components from LX - XTR, so I did not really suspect these would be a bad pedal. I had used clipless pedals many years ago with no problems.

From day 1 these pedals never performed well, the right pedal seemed to work OK, but would occasionally be a little hard to disengage, while the left pedal was a nightmare, it would either be to hard to clip in or just wouldn't engage at all. Then it would disengage with the slightest movement or lightest rock strike.

I recently decided to splurge and move to Shimano PD-M780, what a diffence, these things engage with a nice solid click and disengage with a deliberate twist of the ankle.

My riding will be much more enjoyable now.

Shimano XT PD-M780, Nashbar Clipless Pedal

[Dec 31, 2009]
    Frank

OVERALL
    Strength:

works for MTN and road easy entry and releases only as needed. I have never had a unexpected release even in a sprint.

Little heavy

I give them a 4.5 only because of the weight otherwise they are a 5 star

[Nov 06, 2009]
    ae111black

OVERALL
    Strength:

Solid platform, suprised at how smooth they are, basicly the clipless part of all the m545 combo platforms

None so far

Good value to all you broken bone nay Sayers Learn how to ride. I'd buy them again in a heart beat!

M535,M737,M636

[Feb 21, 2009]
    Anonymous

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durable. Reliable. Adjustable. Affordable. Great Intro to going Clipless.

Heavy.

They've worked for me since I've owned them, and after 3+ years, am now only replacing the cleats.
    Not much wet, muddy riding, so I cannot talk about dirt clogging probs.

As I've looked at other pedals (e.g. egg beaters), they are hefty and I'd like to try a lighting ride.

Great intro to clipless.

[Jul 14, 2003]
    Krispin Klander

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price
    Relatively easy to get in and out of (when sh-55 multi-release cleats are used)

A tad on the heavy side
    They clog up with mud

A fairly good couple of pedals if you r not thinking of racing

SH-747

[Jul 13, 2003]
    marcus75

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap, durable

HARD TO CLIP INTO AND OUT OF! SUCK ON MUD OR DIRT!

What can I say out these cheap pedals. I fell over numerous times because I couldn't even clip out of these damn things even with the adjusted tension screws. It may be partially due to my skill level, but I have been using clipless pedals for over 5 years now and these got to be ONE OF THE WOREST! I got to agree with one of the reviewer, WHY in the world would anyone put these cheapy w/ a $2900 bike (ENDURO PRO)? I'm going to upgrade to the Shimano XTR pedals or the TIME ATAC!

I DON'T RECOMMEND THESE TO FIRST TIMERS BECAUSE OF THEIR SMALL PLATFORM AND HARD OF USE!

These are cheap and durable so 3 chills for value and 1 overall!

Old Set of single sided clips that are better than this PIECE OF CRAP!

[Jul 12, 2003]
    Alister Pearce

OVERALL
    Strength:

These pedals are awsome! I use them for Velodrome (track), Mountain and road riding. They come with great instructions and are completely ajustable. They are easy to clip into and out of, plus there is a large amount of float/movement(4cm at heal) so youre not pinned down totaly.

Only that they were a bit tough to release from at first but
    I ajusted that straight away - to the weakest setting (remember not too much, the screws have to have tension!)

What are these Nit-wits talking about! If you don't ajust them right of-course they're not going to be easy to get out of!!! Duh! And those of you who think these don't work in mud........Let's drag you through 10KM of sticky clay and mud and see if YOU still work properly!

These are a great pedal and unbelevably compact! You can clip into both sides so if one side wears out, you just flip it over! (won't happen though)

Normal Pedals, Cages, Platforms.

[Jul 13, 2003]
    Peter

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap, dependable, double sided entry, easy to use in fine weather.

Heavy. Very poor in muddy conditions.

These are a great entry-level SPD pedal. The double sided entry is convenient and they're nice and cheap.

They are fine enough in fine weather, however don't even think about using them in the mud. The pedals will bind up and make it harder to enter and exit.

If you're a fair weather rider who isn't too concerned about weight, they are a great and dependable pedal. Otherwise you'd be better served by spending the extra on ATACs or Eggbeaters.

M545, R600 SPD-SL

[Jul 10, 2003]
    Joe Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

GREAT PRICE!! Nice pedal for people just wanting to do a little better than straps (LOL)... BIG BIG IMPROVEMENT!

None so far (after banging pedals on rocks and various objects)

THE ARE DEATHTRAPS...NOT!!! Two words for people who cannot get the pedals to release: USER ERROR... And for those people who claim that the screws came out; no sh*t, if you loosen the screws TOO much, then how the hell is the tension *screw* supposed to stay on??? Personally, buying from a shop (like REI) is better cause they actually show you how to adjust the pedals. And for those people who have fallen, this is MTBing people, you're gonna fall, so deal with it and people need to stop blaming it on their equipment.

As far as the pedals, they are a great price/performance. Small amounts of mud do nothing but I have not drenched this thing *yet*... I have gone downhill on rocky (and I mean full of rocks) technical trails and banged the crap out of them, but they seem to stand well to my abuse. I can get in and out in a snap and sometimes feel too loose when I do bunny hops on the lowest tension.

Don't let all these other people sway you from buying these. Most people post when they have a problem with it anyway to warn other people of their mistakes. A 5 for value, and a 5 overall. Good product.

Only straps..(LOL, the worst..)

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.