Crank Brothers Egg Beater Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • simple: Only 13 total parts/pedal

[Jan 05, 2018]
Lombard

OVERALL
Strength:

Great while they worked.

Spring broke after less than 2000 miles making pedal useless!

The concept of the Egg Beater pedals is an excellent one. Four sided entry, doesn't collect mud, good power transfer.

Unfortunately, none of these features matters if the pedals break after less than 2000 miles.

I'm back to good old solid reliable Shimano SPD M520s or M530s. Over 7000 miles on a pair of M520s and never any problems. No more Crack Brothers products for me!

Shimano SPD M520
Shimano SPD M530

[Jul 07, 2013]
scottz123

OVERALL
Strength:

Great for Cyclo-cross where you have to run thru mud/grass/turf.
Price, kind off, then you find out u need "premium cleats" (which don't last long @ $20 a pair) and then after you wear a hole in the bottom of your shoe, you find out you need to buy their "shoe shield' for another $10.

Cleats. If you ride, plan on getting 3-4 plus sets a year at $20 a pair.

My SPD cleats that came with my Shimano XT M780's for $80 last for YEARS in comparision.

Wear out shoes quickly (months) if you do buy/use their shoe shield

After going thru 2 sets of cleats in a little over 6 months (includes off-season), I cannot believe how many people "drink the egg beater kool-aid".

I ended up giving up my spd's after my first cyclo cross race where it was muddy (I had 'some' problems getting into spd's and bought eggbeaters.

I NEVER had problems with spd's in muddy MTB races (maybe I have a thing for staying on the bike). Going back to spd's and have old pair of shoes for EB's for CX races

[Sep 20, 2011]
dredburt

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks great, light.

They just brake and brake and brake. Broke 2 axles so far and collapsed 2 springs. Unclip when pulling up the hill.Frustrating

I am done with CB crap product. Perhaps they are for someone who is lighter and have very easy rides. Single Speed 50 miles MTB ride and both pedals pooped. Here is my blog post about it http://www.burtchiropractic.com/2011/07/29/single-speed-mountain-bike-ride-%E2%80%93-50-miles/

Do not buy these if you are hard core rider.

Shimano SPD - better durability, but the same crap. Switching over to time attack.

[Mar 01, 2011]
mkr

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight. Cheap.

That's what you get, cheap product. I pulled out of the pedal while standing and pedaling hard up hill. This happened numerous times during a race. It was also a loose fit. Every pedal stroke I could hear and feel my cleat move up and down on the pedal like they do not clip in snug. I was very disappointed over all. I returned them right after the race. That was the only time I used them and last time.

Read weaknesses.

Time, never had a problem with over 10 years of use. Went back to them. It's worth a little extra weight, not much, to have a solid product that works and lasts.

[Dec 27, 2010]
ausssher

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, easy to clip in/out. Looks "trick"

Broken spring after only 4 months road bike use - no mud, little rain, easy use - about 1000 km only. Now facing complicated warranty hassle. Disappointed at poor durability (problem shared by many other bikers I see). Wish I had looked at your reviews before buying Crank Bros - should have stuck to Shimano - now we know why they are No 1!

Don't touch this product with a barge pole unless you like pedalling with one leg.Cost is no better than Shimano equivalent either.

Shimano SPD (for over 10 years heavy MTB and road use)

[Apr 02, 2010]
asinbluesky

OVERALL
Strength:

Innovative elegant design. Mud clearing. Lightweight for price.

Durability in muddy/gritty UK conditions (i.e. normal use!). Chocolate cleats wear after one or two rides leaving vague retention. Unfortunately the bars wear too so buying (insanely overpriced) new cleats doesn't make that much difference.

An early adopter of Eggbeaters many years ago I used to recommend them to friends. However the rate of wear in the latest designs is just not acceptable.
I've just gone back to the big S after 10 years of Eggbeaters and am very happy. The M520s are a bit heavier but made from properly hardened steel with positive engagement. But heres the clincher - they're only slightly more than the cost of the Eggbeater replacment cleats, so a total bargain!
When they first came out 5 chillies - now only 2. Innovation without durability just isn't worth it.

Shimano XT, Stainless Eggbeaters (the first ones), 3 or 4 sets of Eggbeater Chromes

[Jan 17, 2010]
penser

OVERALL
Strength:

Shed mud and debris, very serviceable, long life-span if serviced every year or two, meddle-free tension spring requires no tension adjustments

none...with the yearly $20 service pack including bearings and bushings, etc, this pedal keeps on keepin' on.

Got them on sale but I will buy these again even at full price, IF THE ONES I BOUGHT FOUR YEARS AGO EVER WEAR OUT!! I don't notice any "mushy" interface until the shoe cleats need replaced (intentionally softer cleat wears out so the pedal does not)...and more often than not, my first step to the pedal is engaging; no lifting and reseating and spinning the pedal for the cleat to engage.

Shimano 570 or somethin' close

[Nov 09, 2009]
Evan55

OVERALL

No feedback (click) when clipping in.
Releases too easily and unpredictably.

These pedals answer a question that nobody asked. 4 way entry seems to be the only gimmick that sets these pedals apart.
Ive never had a problem getting the right side on SPDs, they are 2 sided and 1 of the sides is always facing the right way.

However, I still decided to give them a shot after a couple riding buddies swear by them.

First impression was not great because they give no feedback (click) when you clip in. I couldnt tell I was clipped in, and thats not a good feeling when you are getting back on the bike about to go down a gnarly downhill.
I have hit a rock with the bottom of the pedal and it released.
Yesterday I came out of the pedal unintentionally while climbing (and slammed my ankle into the pedal which feels good today) which has never happened to me for SPD.

Otherwise they have been 'ok' pedals. Once you get used to the mushy clip in, they are fine most of the time, but ultimately they provide zero advantages over SPD, and some pretty big disadvantages.

SPD

[Jan 12, 2009]
RIfreeDE

OVERALL
Strength:

Sheds anything including mud, dirt, sand and snow very well. 4 places to clamp into. Simple design.

Can break when impacted by a rock. Weight!

I am writing this review because I have been riding these pedals for over 10 years and have recently been let down by them. I recentl broke a pair that was on my bike for a year, one of the wings cracked off. Prior to that I have never broken a pair. In the three weeks following the broken pair I have broken 3 more sets of these pedals. The company must have changed the metal composition and metallurgy of this product. I am sure many of you know how it is to break a pedal on a ride, SUX! I have not attempted to call the manufacturer as I really don;t have time. Just have four sets of these pedals piled up in the corner of my garage. I didn't even hit rocks, changed the cleats on the last two sets. No reason other than what I stated above about the manufacturing prcoess could these have failed. Yes, the last three sets were all new out of the box. I am now riding Speedplay Frogs and love them. Always prefered the extra rotation and play these pedals grant you. They are much lighter and I think even more basic mechanically. The springs on those eggbeaters seem to be the issue.

SPD, TIME...etc.

[Oct 26, 2008]
derek1387

OVERALL
Strength:

Lok good, different design, inexpensive, mud shedding

hard to "find" with your foot when you have big feet. No surface to pedal when not clipped in. Weird feeling when clipped in

As inexpensive as they are, they are great. They look good, work well in the mud, but i dont think i would buy them again. I think i will end up getting a bigger platform pedal soon, as i really dont care about weight (im 6'4", 280)

Other than that, looks good, rides well in the mud. Make sure you stay clipped in!

SPD 535's

• Available At

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.