Bebop Clipless Pedal

Bebop pedals are light, knee friendly and offered inThree spindle flavors; Chromoly, Stainless andTitanium. AllThree feature forged and CNC-machined chromoly rings, needle and ball cartridge bearings, 20 deg of bio-mechanically correct float andTrue step down entry. Needle and ball bearings 20 degrees of float Step down entry Includes 2-bolt style(SPD) cleats Stack height 11mm Chromoly spindle approximate weight 210 grams Stainless spindle approximate weight 195 grams

[Sep 17, 2014]
WMassBucco

OVERALL
Strength:

Simplicity. Ease of use. One pedal all bikes. Float and more float.

You do sometimes have to bend the retention spring tabs back into tension. this can be done easily with a slotted screwdriver.

These pedals are on all of my bikes and the cleats are on all of my shoes. I've had 4 pair and they have lasted for over 5 years each. I wore one pair of cleats out but not the pedals. When I read that folks are pulling out of these I can only think they are either pulling too hard on their pedals or they have not figured out how to do the adjustment I described above. These are great durable pedal systems at a great price.

[Jun 05, 2012]
G Dagenais

OVERALL
Strength:

Sexy design, gets comments, excellent concept, simple design, great float.

Cleat design, Cleat quality, Finicky setup

I am a roadie through and through, and do not ride any technical single track or downhill riding. I bought bebops (the VP1 version) because I have speedplay zeros on a road bike and absolutely love them. I was looking for a SP zero with a more walkable cleat for my touring bike, lots of float, recessed cleat and less plastic in the design. Walking on the zero cleats in road shoes is not great, so I tried Bebops to have similar pedal with a more touring and walking friendly cleat.
The pedals work on the same principle as a Speedplay road pedal; There's a grooved round lollipop pedal and a spring based retention mechanism in the cleat that mounts on the shoe. The SP zeros have a QUALITY piece of spring steel holding the cleat to the pedal. The retention on the bebop was weak. The foot pulled out WAY to easy pulling up on the pedal. The retention tabs needed to be bent back and they then they wouldn't grab the pedal body and clipping in was a pain in the butt. To hard to clip in or pull out to easy were the choices I had. The tabs in the cleat bent way to easily and I wonder if these are even made out of spring steel. The cleats are junk and to finicky to setup.
I want a floaty pedal with a recessed cleat and two sided entry for my touring bike. The bebop design is really promising but the cleats need better quality control and need a better more thought out design. The retainer clips in the cleat would simply work better if they were made out of the same metal that the SP Zero clip is made out of and were better supported in the cleat body.
I'm going to stick with SPD pedals for now and will try SP frogs as I think they are my only option for a two sided, recessed cleat pedal with lots of float... With the bebops the concept and intent is great, the pedal seems solidly constructed, but the cleat execution is terrible.

[Apr 26, 2012]
PeT

OVERALL
Strength:

Superior float, superior retention, nothing is lighter, cleats last a good long while, and the stack height is so low you often need to modify the shoe lugs to have clearance for the axle.

Bearings good for only a year or two of heavy use, cleat can clog when mud is thick or with slushy snow and ice.

I pick them up on Ebay or at gear swaps for pennies on the dollar (okay, like $30 to $60 for the chromoly and stainless versions). I have them on my cross/road, SS, and geared bike. They're also on both my wife's bikes, and the kids' bikes, so there are like 10 pairs floating around the house/garage. Between the four of us, we need about one new pair of cleats a year. The pedal body looks small, but you actually support on cleat which is a bigger platform than most SPD pedals -- neither I nor any members of the family report hotspots on the sole of the foot. Release is very clean and predictable, otherwise my wife wouldn't ride them. Vastly underrated pedal.

[Apr 13, 2012]
I am only me

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb Proof.
Light weight
Float freedom is great

For mountain riding, thick sticky mud may hinder entry until thoroughly squished out of the cleat. I have found that twisting your shoe back and forth until the cleat is clear usually does the trick. For road use NONE

I have been putting these pedals and cleats through hell for 3 years and love them. I use the same shoe/cleats for MB and road riding and have had no problems from all the abuse, ie. walking/running on the cleats for extended periods and dragging them on concrete at night to see the pretty sparks.

[Nov 13, 2011]
Geo

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding road pedal, easy in, easy out.
I've never come out unexpectedly. Fine pedals, highly recommended, no problems

none after two years, despite claims od premature cleat wear I'm using same cleats - WD 40 every once in while

Have no reason to switch pedals ever. Bebops are perfect.

[Jul 19, 2011]
Jorge Tomé

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and strong design.

I use clipless pedals for more than 15 years and Bebop are the best pedals i ever used!

Spds

[Apr 30, 2011]
mpf

OVERALL
Strength:

very easy to snap in and out of

The first pair I got - the threads were wrong - had to return - that I could not belive - whare is the quality control.

I would buy them again - just difficult to understand how the first pair could could make it to the customer with an obvious flaw (could not even thread left side at all). I use the Bebops on a Catrike R, it is a must to have the 20% travel float is a must with recumbents. Please quality control on the threading.

[Dec 04, 2010]
markross

OVERALL
Strength:

allows mw to have full float when I need it, very positive hold on cleat with loads of platform to work with

none I have found so far. I would not recommend for the beginner because of the full float system.

Brillant system that is once again in production

[May 31, 2009]
Daniel Brown

OVERALL
Strength:

free float all the way to release, no false releases, light, shortest stack height possible (I even had to put my seat down a little when I installed them). Clamp is in cleat for sleek pedal look (I'm in to esthetics, what can I say?). Cleat recessed on MTB shoes for easy walking.

platform retaining bolt FELL OUT on a killer ride after only a few months of use. Bolt hidden under rubber cover does not seem to require servicing. Now concerned that this could happen again once I replace it.

Great pedals, but the bolt coming loose and getting lost on a great ride is a real big bummer. Looked for the bolt, but to no avail, thus I had to abandon the ride and call for a car pickup.

Look Keo Sprint (good pedal, clunky cleat), Shimano SPD MTB

[Jul 05, 2003]
Somxay

OVERALL
Strength:

light wieght, small and strong

I have used Bebop pedals for over 3 years and have used it on all my bikes. I like it because it's light, small and gets attention from everyone.

NOne

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.