Shimano Zee RD-M640 Rear Derailleur

Best Price At

The Shimano 10 speed Zee Rear Derailleur features Shadow Plus technology that...

[Sep 02, 2018]
monkies

OVERALL
Strength:

It's cheap. Fine if you're not hard on your bike.

At first I loved that this was cheap, and supposedly a low budget Saint. After 1 year of dh use, the parallelogram started to wiggle...guessing it was the pivots or something just getting worn from beating on it on dh trails. If you're not abusing this thing, I'm guessing it's fine. But for me, I've never had my SRAM derailleur fail from wear and tear. These also fray cables at the cable stop..I don't know how many times this has happened.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[Aug 30, 2015]
Cmr
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Small solid dependable and cheap.

Not sure how it will handle a range expander. Everything is pretty solid. It got bent from an impact but I was able to straighten it back up.

For the price I paid I'm satisfied. It shifts well under stress and the clutch works great for keeping the drivetrain tight. I am hesitant to try a larger cog though, my 36 seems to have it stretched pretty far with a 32 up front. No complaints though I am definitely going to ditch the zee shifter. It works but it's precision is lacking.

[Jul 12, 2014]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Small, built for 1x10, clutch works , compact and out of the way, cheap, and works perfectly

I have the FR (free ride) version of this derailleur, installed on a Stumpjumper FSR, using a 26T front ring, and a 11-36 cassette (with a 40T Hope T-Rex ratio expander ring) . All the gears I could ever need. The Zee derailleur is EXCELLENT, and since installing it about a year ago, has not failed or been a problem.

It worked perfectly before installing the T-Rex 40T cassette ring, and still does. The clutch mechanism works, never hear any chain slap at all. And this derailleur is CHEAP ($80). I bought 2 spares for the future.

[Apr 10, 2013]
Jay
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Crisp shifting, small size

None. If weight weenie then won't like it but should not be an issue.

Very happy with the Zee on 1x10 set up. Shifts flawlessly and the size of the Zee itself lends to it being a bit more protected then normal SLX,XT.

• Available At