Shimano STX RC Rear Derailleur

Shimano STX RC Rear Derailleur

[Jun 30, 2012]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

14 years old and still going. This STX-RC came stock on my Mongoose SX 6.5. I have ridden this thing hard on single track. Now, sure I only do the blues, but it has taken them for a good 14 years and they are still going. I don't know why everyone has stopped building quality like this, but it is a shame!

After 14 years it's starting to skip on climbs

Best derailleur ever, sad that I have to replace them.

Deore on a GF Cobia, XT/XTR on a Trek 8700zx

[Apr 25, 2012]
Joe Kitchell

OVERALL
Strength:

This is a really strong and reliable derailleur. I ran this for a good 10 years on a bike that was used everyday and it gave no problems at all. The design is identical to the slightly older XT model, the only difference being that the chainguide is all steel on this model and the XT is half alloy. You still get the same performance at an excellent price.

Doesn't have the "glam factor" or higher-range derailleurs

It's a well-finished good looking piece of kit. It won't make your peers swoon with envy but you get the top line performance at a price where you won't cry if you knot it up in a branch.

[Sep 06, 2010]
oscar

OVERALL
Strength:

its bullet proof trust me i know. i lost my leg overseas and i just started rideing agian and the STX is smooth and effient like an american and an M4A1 UNSTOPABLE.

NONE to date .has over 20,000 miles on it and i just started adding.i hope i don't jinks it.

if it works well well let it work i have been rideing since the early 1990's on and off road on the velo sport it was an 18speed and i upgraded to 21speed putting a sachs 7speed gear and STX rear derailleur.the STX has never failed me and i have gone on some real tough trails and in the sand on the beach shifting in deep sand and it never failed.i wouid buy it again .

suntour

[Jun 26, 2009]
EarthJourney

OVERALL
Strength:

Great shifting (in dirty conditions) - seems to be bombproof by my way of thinking.

NONE! I'd buy it again in a NY minute.

It's over 10 years old - granted used primarily on the weekends only - but this STX RC has been through hell and back (as has the bike). I'm big (wt varies from 225 - 235) and I ride HARD. This derailleur has taken all I've thrown at it and asked for more. To top it off - the care I've given it hasn't been very good. Several folks have given it low marks - ??? Friends w/higher end bikes consistently had more issues w/their derailleur - I've never had one (and I rode more consistenly and harder than they). I've also got a road bike w/XTR and it's far more tempormental than the STX.

XTR

[Feb 13, 2007]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, weight, colour, clean & crisp shifting.

None.

This review is for a *Shimano STX* rear derailleur, it does not say "RC" (racing) on the sticker on the derailleur. It came stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet, it has over 10,000kms on it and has been 100% trouble-free. The silver colour blends in well with the rest of the bike, it has given me years of clean & crisp shifting.
Bottom Line: This rear derailleur is just as good as my Shimano Deore XT on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Shimano Deore XT.

[Feb 12, 2003]
Travis G

OVERALL
Strength:

Shifted flawlessly...

...until it, for lack of a better term, got old.

Will only replace it until time to upgrade to new drivetrain, after this season.

[Feb 28, 2002]
Charlie Devine

OVERALL
Strength:

It has all the adjustments needed on a rear derailer.
I personaly recommend that you take a tiny allen wrench, remove the cage, and put the chain tension spring in the firm position. Yes, it is removeable. Yes there are two settings.

It came stock with the Light Action spring.
Get a Powerspring to replace the original return spring.
Don't follow the directions on the package for instalation. Doing so will slightly bend your spring, thus reducing it's efectiveness. Instead, make a hook out of coat-hanger wire and use this to pull on the end of the spring to facilitate installation.

This is the one part of my bike that I haven't replaced.
The bike came with gripeshift. Due to the lack of a return spring in the shifter the "system," briliantly engineered by Gary Fisher, did not reach the three smallest gears. The shop put a aftermarket Powerspring in the rear derailer. Shortly after that I got Shimano XT controls and haven't missed a shift since. The year that I got the bike,1995, Shimano was hypeing it's new "light action shifting." I recomend everyone change the spring in his rear drerailer for a Powerspring.
I like a firm shifter lever across the whole range of gears.

Shimano Excage

[Feb 08, 2002]
chris

OVERALL
Strength:

WHEN it works it works well, quick shifting, inexpensive to replace

BENDS EASILY and then it will never work the same way again, very noisy, will not shift uphill

This came stock on my bike, and for a stock part it worked surprisingly well. If you're not a real hardcore rider, the STX-RC will probably last forever. however, if you do any real trails it will only last a season at most before you start having problems. It took one nice crash for me and i never got it to work well since, just because it bends so easily. Good value, but you'll be looking to upgrade soon.

alivio, stx, xt

[Sep 12, 2003]
Ryan
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

absoutly none what so ever.

Everything imaginable.

This STX came with my bike and it is the worst deralier on gods green earth. riding not jumping down about a 40 foot staircase with about 4 feet inbetween each stair my rear wheel locked up about halfway down. luckily i made it to the bottem with me life. when i looked at me rear wheel the derailer was upside down bending my spokes to about a 90 degree angle. When i attempted to move it back to the normal position the two lower (what should be lower) guide wheels and bracket snapped off and when i picked it up off the ground the guides looked like a butterfly. if you want to live to ride another day dont but this piece of crap!!!!!!!!!

Shimano Decore

[Jan 14, 2002]
john
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

it would change gears once n awhile

wouldnt change gears when u really needed it too

this garbage came with my bike. it was a total piece of crap, it was ok for awhile but quickly went to pot after i put a few trails on it. it would not shift going uphill at all.. just click endlessly and would always screw up my timing or my line uphill. the XT will easily shift anytime. by the way, my front derailer was a stx also and did the same thing till i switched to a single ring in front. the final ride for this derailer came when one of the pulleys broke in half (they are plastic and do not have any bearings) i switched out the wheels with some nice pullies, and later to my great surprise as i landed a small jump, the cage bolts came loose causing the cage to seperate and shear off about 10 of my spokes. well it was prob my fault, but it seemed like it was fate that this piece of crap would, as a final act of defiance, destroy not only itself but a bunch of spokes and one rim. if u have stx garbage on your bike and you do any riding that makes you break a sweat... get rid of it now.

xt

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.