Sachs Derailleur Derailleur

Sachs Success Derailleur

[Sep 13, 2001]
Ben

OVERALL
Strength:

shifting, cable routing

none so far

So far so good. Replaced my old shimano one which wasn't doing the job anymore. Wanted to try something new, and so far has been great. Good shifting withstood 2 crashes, 1 which fractured my index finger and it is still going.

xt, xtr, lx, stx-rc

[Jul 07, 2001]
Sensible Nick
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap, neat cable routing

everything else. the material it's made from, and the pivot points/pins.
They snap like carrots.

any large landing makes the returning (lower) part of teh chain drop, and it pulls the mech tight. SNAP!!!
don't do it. spend more money on a better Mech.

I bet that everyone who's snapped one has a tiny peice of plastic left on the Pivot bolt, and the rest of the mech in perfect condition (cos it's so damned new)

I've snapped 3.

They suck. Badly.

If I could mark lower than 1, I would.

Sachs... if you read this.. Try TESTING things before you put them out on the market. Prats.

loads of mechs, the best so far is a standard LX one, meduim priced, and long lasting.

[Sep 20, 1998]
Dale

OVERALL

I like this der.(plasma) alot but must admit I had a few problems at the start. The orig. instructions were, to say the least, crap. And my first der. snapped like a twig 'cause of bubbles in the mold. The 5-10mm spacing is best. There also seems to be some confusion over the housing length also. If you use the chart given you will have the housing way too long (at least for my seat stay routing). The longer housing causes the B-tension bolt to stop moving the der. at some point and the 5-10mm is hard to achieve. Nobody has mentioned chain length either. This is also critical in this setup. Too long and the B-bolt will never work, too short and you cross chain. Not all der. have same size cage, so new der.=new chain. blah blah blah, these chain tips are critical to all drivetrain setups. Basically for the Plasma if you have the housing length right and proper chain length the b-bolt will work (if you don't strip it) and you can get great performance even w/o gortex.
Only 4-chilis because of bad instructions and tiny bubbles.

[Sep 29, 1998]
Mario

Sachs Centera Rear Derailleur:
1)Had for two months now, needs ample lubrication of pivot points and chain to work properly and quietly.
2)Looks differently from the rest. Prefer the SRAM ESP der. but they only work with their shifter.
3)This derailleur needs more attention than any shimano part I've dealt with.
4)However, once the thing was set up correctly, I've had no problems. Just remember to lube it once in a while.
5)Liked its design philosophy enough to order the Plasma for a bike I'm putting together. A lot of sceptics question the use plastics in mountain-bike parts, but plastics are also being used in guns, and never heard of one failing yet.
6)Keep your equipment fairly clean and it should last.

[Mar 23, 1998]
Andrew

OVERALL

Recently got Sachs Extreme 8sp shifters, and a Plasma rear mech, and the thing is hot poo poo.... I was running STX rc before so Id expected an increase in performance, but its much better than I had anticipated, and totally light into the bargain!!If you like the Sachs shifters, this mech is a Must Have to put on your list

[May 19, 1998]
LUC
racer

OVERALL

Final review on the Sachs Centera rear derailleur. Went on a ride last saturday, dry and fast. With all the tinkerin' I've done( see my 2 prev. reviews), it worked okay, just okay.1 hour into the ride all hell broke loose ... a parralelogram rivet was missing. A %?$*$$* pin unriveted itself. I've never seen that before.Anyway, seems that Sachs has to go back to the drawing board and check their quality control dept.I wonder how much testing was done before this botched excuse of a derailleur was sent to us guinea pig.For that, I'd love to take back the 3 and 2 chillies I gave previously.

[May 12, 1998]
Daniel Nilsson

OVERALL

Currently I am using Sachs Plasma D.i.R.T. on my Cannondale Raven and it works ok. Its not that good and its not better than XTR, the Plasma doesnt seem to be so smooth and exact as the XTR. Perhaps the Plasma needs some more tweeking and time to settle in so I will give it two more weeks(had it for two weeks now) and if it doesnt work any better I will replace it with a XTR. Too bad, because I like Sachs stuff.

[Oct 26, 1997]
Olaf

OVERALL

I had Sachs Quartz both in the front and rear. I lived in rain and mud for a year.
Great. Outperformes Shimano. Clean: Shimano is superb and Sachs is only
good. Muddy and dirty: Shimano fails and Sachs is still good.
I know when the rear Sachs Derailleur will fail: downhill on trail, 20 mph,
cranking, ramming a 1.5 inch Oak branch into the rear derailleur and wheel.
If you plan on doing that regularly, get a cheaper derailleur, cause the Sachs
won't stand that. Other than that, its perfect. Now, living in sunny wheather, I put
a cheaper XT in the rear, and without any mud that one is good too.

[Mar 15, 1999]
Martin rungø
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

shifts well.
light weight.

the quality of the pulleywhells are very bad.
The plastic isn´t strong enought. The first derailleur smashed by a chain suck.

Hey dudes. Don´t buy this derailleur. The first one lasted for only one month until it snapped like a dry stick of wood. The second one shifted OK, but the pulley-wells lasted only for a couple of month. So the money you saved buying this cheap derailleur, you will for sure use on pulleywhells, and that sucks. Buy shimano XT.

Shimano XT

[Feb 09, 1999]
Kevin B

OVERALL

The sachs centera.....oh boy. At first glance...sweet its carbon...ummmm... no...its thermo-plastic...errr??? it looked better than my old Xtr...certainly it was more reliable...NOPE. All the long winter of OHIO I have been building my new spooky frame( thanks JB mountain bikes)..finally on saturday night it was all together..I built the bike from the ground up..I am not a tech...but mechanicly inclined I am....so the first ride...not off road..Akron University's campus..with 2 guys on 20 inches...I was the pain...in 20 minutes, my chain snapped due to the pivot pin...and unboyscout-like me..no xtra chain links...so I was then walkin it...when I got home( after taco bell) I figured I better look at this beast...to my dismay...it @**%ing snapped ant the oddest point...ok what the hell, I have an xt new in the box..I will put that on for my sunday ride......it worked well. Century cycles, were the sachs piece came from is trying to get it taken care of...I will keep you all posted. The derailleur i an alturnative to shimano..I thought that stuff was ok...I didn't know how good I had it.If anyone has any suggestions for me PLEASE email me...should I go up to the plasma or quartz?? its not a money issue...its the anti shimano issue....the derailluer shifted awesome for 20 minutes...1 pepper..the service thus far from sarah at century cycles in medina, Ohio is 5 peppers....check back for further developments......

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.