Truvativ Stylo Singlespeed Crankset

• The SS comes in 175mm and 180mm.
  • These cranks are for cross country use

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 06, 2011]
    Biker Bri

OVERALL
    Strength:

Handles the single speed crankin' well.

None noted. Can I go to 34 or 36 tooth ring. 32 now.

Stylo rocks! Scwhinn Homegrown as SWEET as it gets with hardtails!

Stem, seatpost and handlebars.

[Jan 18, 2011]
    jadedbee

OVERALL
    Strength:

looks good, easy to service, durable in my experience, built in bash ring

weight I guess, drive side bearing race seal pops out.

This is for the 2007 model. I have had no durability issues with these cranks and I take drops on my bike. I have broken 2 sets of pedals, crushed the bearings in the bottom bracket, put flat spots in my rims, and broken off the head of my seat post but this thing just lives on. I love the bash ring - it and the crank arms are covered in gouges but are still straight. It's easy to take apart and put back together when I need to service my EBB (which will always creak way before this thing ever does). Sometimes the drive side seal will pop off the bearings because these cranks don't hold it in place, but I'm not sure other cranks do this better.
    I have tried out lighter carbon cranks on other bikes but always felt nervous taking them through rock gardens. I don't worry about these.

cheaper Bontrager 3 ring cranks

[Dec 18, 2009]
    rageagainst1984

OVERALL
    Strength:

No strengths, They are the average bear.

They do creek a LOT!!

Bottom line is these are at the bottom! I give them three chilis because I have not had mine break, bend, or otherwise, I have beaten the hell out of these damn things and its about time to retire them!!!

Shimano

[Jun 02, 2003]
    Stefan

OVERALL
    Strength:

I didn't find any.

Damn crank arm snapped off.

I'm a big guy (250 lbs) and put a lot of stress on single speed crank arms, especially the right one (which broke) which is what I usually start off on. However, something that is marketed as single speed crank should be able to handle this type of abuse. I wasn't even hammering at the time, but coasting along at about 2 mph. Even before the arm snapped the cranks felt like wet noodles compared to the Race Face cranks that I have on my cross-country bike. Replaced with the new LX because that's all the closest LBS had to get me home. These are holding up good so far and have less flex.

Race Face. LX.

[Mar 12, 2006]
    Chris Price

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light weight

Flex alot, pedal threads are questionable, and they break

The bottom line? They suck. And aparently I am no the only one who thinks so.

tons of others

[Apr 18, 2008]
    Mot

OVERALL
    Strength:

Chose a good time to break because I was going about 2 mph and was barely pedaling

Yup mine snapped too, about 1/2 inch from the spider. Seems this crank can't take lateral stress very well. Snaps quickly with no warning. Went through cycles of creaking throughout its life. ISIS requires 2 tools not one like the new external style.

This was a 2004 I think. ISIS interface. Can't complain much about it except it snapped out of the blue which is not an acceptable way for a weight-bearing part to break. Should have been overbuilt if anything, its an SS crank!! It doesn't have to shift so really the one thing they need to get right is strength!

[Sep 26, 2003]
    Miles

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stylish looks, Strong arms, Light

4 arm spider

Bought this crank because it was the least expensive for the SS conversion I was making. My 3 ring crank was the riveted together type. This is my first Quality crank and the first time replacing a major part like this. The cranks work fine, but I already wanted to change the chainring for a different size one. not many single speed specific chainrings to fit a four arm spider. This is the only weakness.

Stock cranks that came on the bikes I bought.

[Sep 16, 2001]
    Raining

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, Simple, Splined, Singlespeed

Little spacers that go on the pedal threads could be easily lost i guess...

Great simple crank. Nothing to worry about. And to the guy who can't find a larger chainring.... you can get a Truvativ Downhill Chainring in 38 teeth and up.....Cambria Bike sells them.....Just be sure to loctite the chainring bolts cause mine came lose (stupid me) and I bent the first one.

Shimano XT, Coda Expert

[Nov 07, 2001]
    Hef

OVERALL
    Strength:

strong, stiff, black, cheaper and lighter than raceface, pretty good ano job, bash guard is thick, chain ring pretty strong and is holdin up well

need more colors, could use a toothed bash guard..cool factor

bad a$$ cranks for not alot of money. 2 years of gear mashing and urban assaulting not to mention two summers in vermont, these cranks are still kikin. buy em

lx, deore, cook bros e crank, kooka freeride (stiffer than the truvativs but almost twice the weight

[Aug 02, 2001]
    Craig

OVERALL
    Strength:

- Stiff design
    - Nice aesthetics
    - Reasonably priced w/chainring @ $100 pricepoint
    - Chainring/bash guard included

- none

These are great cranks. I think that these look every bit as good as RaceFace at a much lower price. They come equipped with a 32T ring, and a chainring/bash guard. They feel really stiff (good power transfer) and look great. Hopefully, the black finish holds up well and doesn't wear off quickly.

I did want to change the gearing somewhat (to a little higher gear ratio than 32/16). Since the smallest freewheel that the Surly 1x1 hub will accept is 16T, I had to go larger on the front chainring. Spot was the only company I found that offered a non-ramped/pinned 94mm 4-bolt pattern ring in a 34T. Maybe TruVativ could manufacture one of these in the future.

Anyway, 5 flaming chilis for these cranks. I heard that TruVativ will be offering a tandem-specific crankset in the near future...they'll be on my wish list for our Cannondale mountain tandem!

- Coda Tarantula, Shimano LX, Sugino Fuse 500 (on our tandem)

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.