Truvativ Noir XC 3.3 Team Crankset

The TruVativ Noir Carbon XC crankset is the lightest and most refined cross-country crankset in the Truvativ lineup, featuring a lightweight forged AL-66 Alloy spine wrapped in a unidirectional graphite layer for strength and style.

[Jan 07, 2012]
FaustoCopy

OVERALL
Strength:

Light. Colour?

Completely unreliable. The teeth on the chainring wore out after about 20 rides. I had these on my race bike which I only used for pre-rides and races. It was installed with a brand new rear derailleur, cassette and chain and should have lasted at least a couple of seasons. Alas, in one of the biggest races of the year, my chain began skipping even under minimal tension and I couldn't even pedal up a curb without a horrific grinding and skipping. Frustrating! Maybe I got a dud, but this is only the latest in bad experiences with SRAM products as of late. Think I'll stick with SHimano.

I can't endorse this product. Go a bit heavier and buy something reliable, like Shimano XT.

Raceface, Shimano XT

[Dec 30, 2011]
BloodyRoots

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, lightweight, different colors are awesome.

I don't know if I can call this a weakness but it was tough to figure out the correct spacers for my bike, but it's prolly the fault of my bottom bracket design.

I've hit multiple rocks/roots/ etc with this crankset going full speed and i'm 250+ lbs. This crankset is strong as hell for carbon. I've got a few scratches on the bottom of the cranks but there is no doubt in my mind that these cranks are strong as sh*t. The rings have held up just fine and I love showing off my carbon parts to other riders on the trails. BUY this crankset!!

Hollzfeller, fireX, XT, FSA

[May 29, 2011]
TomsMadness

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, Not overly flashy.

Scuffs, creaks.

These are good cranks, and from what I've read probably the best value out there. However, they started to creak bad after a 30 miler in the rain last year. Thinking the BB was bad, I pulled everything apart and their was no issue, so I greased everything up and reassembled - even removed and greased the splines on my pedals. The next ride it seemed fine for a while, but the creaking started again...bad. What a pain on a full suspension bike, since at this point I'm thinking it might not be the cranks at all. Things like this can really destroy the pleasure of a ride. I eventually greased the bolts on the crank rings, and found one to be really over torqued. This shut them right up. I hope this helps anyone else experiencing a similar issue with these cranks. I'll usually have to do this every 100 miles or so, but I tend to ride no matter what the weather/trail conditions are like. Performance wise this issue was minor, but creaks and rattles do not instill the confidence that is needed to make it through your ride.

CODA, Race Face, Shimano.

[Jan 29, 2011]
dkelly

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, stiff, good looks

Cranks scuff easily...buy crankskins if you want to keep them looking good

Good looking, stiff carbon crank. Not as light weight as other carbon cranks, but it is also very strong. Was easily mounted up and does not creak. Love the red anodized small ring and red branding on the cranks. As I mentioned earlier and have seen in other posts, you'll want to invest in some protective crankskin decals to keep the arms from scuffing from heel rub. If you not in a hurry look on Ebay or Craigslist for a good used pair.

Stylo, XT's

[Sep 15, 2010]
DavidLloyd

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid, light and they look great.

Scuff to no end!

Seem to be available all day long on ebay at or around the 200 dollar mark, can't beat that. For me, pretty doesn't factor into my decision, performance all the way. Stiff and strong, no complaints. If you have heal rub, you will age these cranks in less than 10 rides. My bro used my bike in wet sandy conditions and his feet scuffed the cranks way bad. My only beef with that is resale value. Otherwise, score them on ebay.

Truvativ/ shimano xt/lx...

[Jul 28, 2010]
Goliath

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks pretty

Crank arm failed (carbon has seperated from aluminium spline) GXP bottom bracket poorly sealed

Brought second hand but in good condition. After one year non-drive side carbon crank arm has seperated from aluminium spline that binds bottom bracket axel allowing a few degrees rotation (so it is stuffed). Can't say what happened to crank before I got it but cross crountry use only from me over last year. I feel top price cranks shouldn't fail at the carbon aluminium interface. GXP bottom bracket is poorly sealed and can not be interchanged with other brands (unlike raceface, shimano which use a common sizing with lots of aftermarket alternatives). No product support as it is not possible to contact SRAM/Truvativ directly (and LBS says can not help). Recomend avoiding this product.

XTR M960, Raceface (best of the lot), XT

[Jun 14, 2010]
RacerX

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, looks good.

BB wear does seem a little easy. Older models loosen easy.

Initially, the crankarm would fall off. Been using my bike shop for years and trust their knowledge; however, two of the three or four times this happened was during a race. One of the times I was into my last lap in 2nd closing in on first. Not cool.

Now for the good news. If you just make sure like the others say that this crankset is torqued at the correct specs, it will bring you joy.

Last but not least, today, after 2 years of HARDCORE use, there was some creak noise that continued even after a BB replacement. My shop called SRAM and after learning I had it for 2 years asked no more questions and is sending me a brand new Truvativ Noir crankset.

FSA Megaexo. Some other lesser brands/models.

[May 29, 2010]
OnlyCarbonHT

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is for: 2009 Redwin Noir 3.3 crank
-Stiffer than any crank I've ever used
-Nickel Teflon finish looks durable and helps shift more smootly
-pretty light (805g w/GXP BB)
-Two words BLING BLING

None. Expensive but Truvativ really delivered a good product.

If you have the $$$ to buy these as an upgrade to any other crank you may be running you will not be dissapointed. They proform well on rough terrain and are extra stiff and light. Not to mention the BLING BLING it adds to your ride

Some stock Shimano Xt my bike came with.
Truvativ blaze & isoflow

[May 30, 2009]
DavidNeiles

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and strong. Great shifting. LOOKS

Super light and stiff as can be. Great shifting and killer looks. I think there better than XTR, period. BUT THEM. You will love em.

LX, XT, XTR, tons of other Shimanos, FireX 3.3, Raceface

[Apr 27, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Wait, Nice and Stiff, Looks good

None so far

These are significantly better than the LX cranks I used to have. The lightness is a bonus. These cranks are so smooth and stiff under foot. Highly recommend that you buy them.

Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.