Truvativ Firex SL Crankset

• The SL comes with three 7075 chainrings.
  • The Firex XR, LR, and SX are OEM parts and not available for aftermarket.
  • These cranks are for cross country use

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 15, 2012]
    Mario

OVERALL
    Strength:

best buy for money.

none i could think off.

I am 95 kilogram . i have chainset mounted on hardtail bike that i use for freeride with a lott off drops and jumps. bein using it a lot for last two years. still in mint condition after lot off abuse . while asembling crankset have to pay attention on inner extractor bolt that have to be unscrewed and should not have spacers on for 73mm setup because it would not fit properly .

[Nov 01, 2011]
    turbo3

OVERALL
    Strength:

Auto extracting crank bolt

It starts creaking after about 5 rides and then the entire bottom bracket needs to be disassembled and buttered up. I'm not sure if it's the cranks or bottom bracket, or a combo of both, but I'm on my second bottom bracket and it creaks too. Everything is torqued properly. Everything else SRAM I've been impressed with, but I'm leaning towards XT for a new crank/bb.

This may just be a mfg defect, or something SRAM has since fixed, but I'll never know because I won't ever buy another SRAM bb/crank, short of a no questions asked return policy.

[Jan 09, 2011]
    gastonbx

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong, even getting rocks hits

Didn't found any.

I have used this cranks for all-mountain more than a year, and then passed them to the XC bike. I only ride weekends, and some XC races. They have supported drops (3-5 feet), rocks, everything that could hit them from below, and they never loosen or failed a shift. I highly recommend them, for this kind of usage. Best relationship in price/quality.

Shimano XT, LX.

[Sep 21, 2009]
    NaughtyPanda

OVERALL
    Strength:

It is cheap... And it does look good.

It didn't even survive a ridiculous 1 meter drop... And no, i'm not riding a hardtail...

I got some replacement parts but the whole thing was just beyond repair.

The list of things that went kaputt is :

- Main aluminium bolt which holds the left crank (The drop)
    - Groove on the left crank (gradually in the following months)

Now the left crank keeps getting loose and has to be retightened every 15 minutes.

Do. Not. Buy. This. Piece. Of. Junk.

Stronglight/Shim cranksets

[Aug 10, 2008]
    morgan1819

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great when installed properly.

For some reason SRAM's instructions indicate a spacer is needed on the driveside of a 73mm bb shell. NO SPACER IS NEEDED.

These have worked flawlessly for a couple of years now on my back-up bike (yes, it gets used a lot - especially in bad conditions). I'm wondering how many people below installed the 2.5mm spacer when using the GXP BB and Firex combo. If the spacer is installed on a standard 73mm bb shell, you will not be able to get the crank to seat properly, and all sorts of things will (of course) start going wrong.

Shimano XT

[May 06, 2008]
    Velo

Everything

I weigh 170 pounds, I ride hard XC but no jump monkey. As I'm an engineer I know about installation torques blah blah. The most poorly engineered product I have ever had the misfortune to come across in 15 years of MTBing. Absolute garbage. Avoid. Zero chillis. My first experience of any SRAM product - never again by choice.

The usual

[May 03, 2008]
    John Clements

OVERALL

design of bolt securing crank to spindle

As others have reported, the bolt securing the left-side crank to the spindle
    repeatedly loosened; torquing it up to the recommended 55 Nm worked for
    a while, but then they began loosening again. When I couldn't keep them tight
    for the first 20 minutes of a ride, I had them replaced under warranty; we'll
    see if the replacement (the first set was OEM) lasts any longer.

various road cranks from shimano

[Jun 04, 2003]
    Elan C

OVERALL
    Strength:

all!

none.... except for chain rings... buy a steel 22 tooth, and a bash guard and ride trials!

good stuff... i bought these for my kona XC, rode the hell out of them, started doing trials on my kona, broke the frame, took off the firex, and put them on my zoo! ... yay

race face prodigy

[May 23, 2003]
    mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

i fell of the bikem twisted my foot in the clips and twisted the left arm

week, too week

switch to shimano deore same bottom bracket

[Jul 03, 2002]
    Jim

OVERALL
    Strength:

Look nice, finish was good, shift well.

Flex badly and the square taper rounded out in 3.5 weeks. Large chainring bent badly on first ride, straightened easiuly though.

Cranks performed well for the first two weeks then the square taper rounded out. I ride pretty hard 3 days a week and weigh about 240 pounds so i suppose i should have expected this though. I now have a set of isis drive hussefelts which are awesome, they have nothing at all wrong even after 6 months of really hard riding.

LX, XT, XTR, Now using Hussefelt which are awesome

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.