Shimano XTR M952 Crank Crankset

Hollow cold forged Ultra Duraluminum arms. 9 speed uses S® 8-spline BB-M952or M950. 4-Arm has 24/34/46. Lengths: 165, 170, 175 or 180mm. Finish: XTR Gray/Nickel plating on rings. 685g

[Nov 22, 2010]
mechfishy

OVERALL
Strength:

15 years of use, and still works nearly flawless. Extremely light, durable, and sweet looking.

Out of production.

I am on my third bike with this group. It has performed flawlessly on all 3. I've only had to replace cables, brake pads, and the front derrailleur due to seat tube variations, plus a few rear spokes. When they changed to the 960 series they should have only changed the arm/spline interface to the V2 Octalink, because that is the only potential weakness. And I only say this because of those who want to jump, and apply extreme amounts of torque in opposing directions to the arms. If you ride these with the intention of making them last, they will, with proper maintenance. These cranks would be great with a 10 speed group, but since the tolerences have changed so much, it may or may not be possible. If I find out that they will work for this, them I will definitely do so, because I want to use them until they are unusable. I might just wear out before they do!

Buy it if you want the best. Don't if you don't care.

STX. Campy Athena, Record. Race Face. Suntour Superb Pro.

[May 16, 2010]
quickmik

OVERALL
Strength:

Built to last forever if properly maintained

None if you keep them tight on BB

After years of trail use converted Zaskar to road hybrid, but still trail capable. Cranks are good as new, replace middle ring a while back they are a 9 out of 10 even now. The only issue keep them tight on the BB if they get loose the are done. But that's common sense for any crank even square taper!!

XT, Kooka

[Jun 01, 2009]
stoney98

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively light, very stiff.

Integrated outer ring/spider, twisting under heavy load

These cranks, when setup properly, are borderline bomb-proof. I'm somewhere into my fifth or sixth set since they first came out (still have three sets, others sold with bikes), and have only managed to damage one crank arm. The damage to that one arm came from me learning how to do 360's out of a bowl at a skate park, and that was my fault for overly side-loading the crank.

Most of the complaints I have seen on this site are from people who did not properly setup the cranks. As they have a self-extracting bolt, you need to add a dab of BLUE loc-tite upon install. This will prevent the bolt from backing out. Also, install them slowly. If installed quickly, you can torque the cranks into alignment with the splines, damaging the interface surface. Only once you are positive that you have lined up the splines, tighten them to torque.

Like with any other crank, if the crank feels loose, stop riding. Most mechanically inclined riders will know this. This also goes with proper maintenance, check the crank bolts every few rides and you will not have any problems.

Especially because they are no longer produced, you can get a new set for cheap, and they will last for ever if maintained properly. If you are buying a used set, but be conscious that meat-head mechanics have been know to strip the splines, so that is a risk you take buying them used.

Just about everything on the market since 1999.

[Apr 06, 2009]
Abe Star

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to ride with. Makes you feel that you can conquer any mountain.

Almost impossible to find genuine spares. However, you can get after market from Blackspire.

There can be Only One! The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be. It is a fantastic crank, so it makes it hard to move on as you don't want to be disappointed if others don't perform as well. If you can find one in mint condition...buy it. I specifically went to the U.S. to buy this crankset and that was before I knew how great they were. I was merely attracted to it's look. The Gun Metal Blue color gives it's originality and makes it special. It stand out above the rest unlike in the new range.

Shimano Saint.

[Jul 19, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, smooth shifting

Strips easily, prone to shoe rub

Can't recommend these. If they get just a little bit loose, they are destroyed forever. If you're going to go with old equipment, I'd choose square taper over Octalink any day.

Race Face Turbine, XT

[Jun 09, 2003]
Timchi

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, nice rings, love the self extracting bolts.

durability.

I've used this crank on my racing bike for a couple of years now. I only ride it a few dozen times every year since I use a different bike for daily training. The left crankarm is now worn out at the bb/crank interface. It moves and clunks just ever so slightly so make me feel like the whole thing will fall apart under me. In my disbelief that a crankarm will be worn out I replaced the bottom bracket. I even tried it with new pedals (thinking pedals are somehow clunking). I have bikes that I ride harder with 6 year old square taper cranks that are still running strong. Shimano did their homework and sold us another product that we'll have to replace every two or three years. And we were so happy about the increase in stiffness .... Sadly I don't know if there is a better product out there. ISIS any good?

LX, XT

[Jun 04, 2003]
mike doucette

OVERALL
Strength:

light, strong,after two years the bb is still smoth

the left arm was a s.o.b. to get off, like it was fused, and the drive side stripped, but only the arm, not bb, but no warrenty! and i know how to properly maintain a bike, and with all my care it still has put me in a situation where i only need one arm but can only find sets of two for sale.

bottom line is that these cranks are way too expensive, thank god i had a discount or i woundn't have even thought twice about getting them. there nice but there are plenty of things comparable, for less, and if one of those weight weenes's these are pretty good, just don't ride too hard on them, and if you care so much about weight to buy these cranks, don't put 10 lb. dh tires on, you guys just don't make sence

[Sep 13, 2007]
Ben

OVERALL
Strength:

light, stiff, durable.

Cost (but not so bad compared to new 970 XTR cranks..), the fact that the big ring acts as the spider makes replacing the rings painfully expensive, and there are no alternative chainring options. Typical shimano non standardization.

I love these cranks very much. I've had them since 2002, raced them and rode them very hard but have taken good care of them maintenance wise. I've replaced the rings 2 or 3 times, and replaced the BB once. Though the arms are rather beat up from all the hard use, they still perform great. Lately, due to a worn big ring and other issues, I've had problems with the chain staying on the big ring over rough terrain: it keeps falling into the middle ring. I'll just have to save my pennies; I'll probably replace these cranks with the new XT.

XT, Race face.

[Mar 10, 2002]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Shift very well...no chain problem, and looks nice.

Replacement chain rings are f-up expensive. Shimano marketing...Why are you chainrings so expensive? They're machine made...not handcraft.

I like Shimano Products becuase they work well. I got my XTR cranset three months ago, and it is among the best. Shinamo is not a North American company ofcourse, and some of these bad reviews seem to be bias because of that. When I spent several hundered dollars (or more) on bike components, I prefer a well established company like RaceFace and Shimano, who have proven again and again to be market leaders.
People often use words like "rigid, stiff, strong" to describe structural integrity of cranks. Aren't all cranks suppose to be rigid and strong? Even my old RaceFace and Shimano LX cranks are still equally strong and rigid. I wonder how many people unknowingly purpose a weak and fragile cranks? Shimano manufactured great biking components, if their products are crap, Shimano whould not be around. I only buy Shimano and RaceFace components.

RaceFace Next LP

[Mar 09, 2002]
steven trottier

OVERALL
Strength:

lite

the are lite but don't hold up very well. chainrings just bend down.

these cranks are good when you first get them. if you bash them against anything the teeth are gone and you lost your money. i am getting rid of mine beacause i have found that raceface nextlp's are better with strength and wear. the teeth on the racefaces are a he*l of a lot stronger than the xtr's. GO WITH RACEFACES!!!!!!!!!

nextlp's, cannondale cranks

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.