Shimano XTR Dyna-Sys FC-M980 Triple Crankset

Usually, new technology trickles down, but in this instance, Shimano trickled up technology from the 10-speed XT group. And this XTR Trail 3x10 Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M980 is the first 10-speed specific XTR triple crank. It's different than an XTR 970 crank in a number of ways. First, it's...

[Nov 11, 2018]
gusthedog2009

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight and well finished

None. It will even work on some boost frames - Specialized.

Price Paid:
[Dec 13, 2012]
Debodawg
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty smooth when new. High gear is not missed. 2x10. 26 38. Good for racing and rolling terrain.

Low gear for the long climbs is missed. The ramps on the large crank gear wear fast. This makes shifting to the large
Ring noisy and iffy. I bought mine in February it's Dec and I'm looking to replace it already. I ride 3 times a week 9-20 miles
Each ride.

I don't miss the high gear. The lower gear is missed. If you do long climbs in your granny or run a 29er pass on this.
You can get a 24T to replace the 26T this will still be higher than a traditional 3x9. There is a 22 out there but the
Difference might require you to drop the large ring down to a 36T. The ramp wear on the large ring is my big concern.
Overall cost, missing low and high wear force me to give this just a 3 out of 5.

Shram XO and older Shimano XTR FC-M980 3x9

[Sep 06, 2012]
RJDofthePhilippines
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Lighter than the M970 for sure, i think by a 40-50 gram difference, im not sure.
no more threaded preload collar claimed by the shimano guys and it is!
hallowtech II, i like how they made the middle ring from carbon and titanium composites of is it for the entire crankset. not sure about that. lol..

It scratches so easily. So after i took it down from a previous ride on the trails i had to buy the raceshield thingy just to keep my new 980 looking new and shiny as always, but a few minor scratches has already taken their win so i suggest if you dont want that expensive crank getting allot of battle scars. Invest a little on cosmetic protection for these kick ass cranks.

The price like always for an XTR.
its not for everyone, i had to save up but its really worth the investment i had made, comparing it to my 970.
i love the feel of the silky buttery smooth cadence i get from it also matching it up with a CK bottom bracket.
though the 970 had virtually no weaknesses at all, the 980 just made it look better.
so yes if money is not a problem, i would recomend the 980.

[Apr 24, 2012]
bigideas

OVERALL
Strength:

Frank (Frank's Cyclery in Raleigh, NC) set me up with this crankset. I have to say that his knowledge and access to quality vendors is unparalleled.

So I upgraded to this crank (set up as a single speed with a Race Face 34t chain ring/18t Surly cog) from a Bontrager Sport, so everything about my ride seems upgraded right now. My pedaling certainly feels more efficient, and I really have no regrets.

None that I have discovered so far.

Quality components can really make a difference. This crank from Shimano is a great upgrade for my Vassago Jabberwocky, and it makes riding even more fun than before.

[Apr 13, 2011]
chefsbikes

OVERALL
Strength:

Sexy as hell. Smooth compared to the 970's...

No bash guards for a while, or ever. Tough to match the outer ring.

New Shimano 2011 XTR M980 10 speed Triple cranks installed on an XTR 970 9 speed drive train shift perfectly.

I was a bit hesitant to buy the FC-M980 cranks with an older XTR 970 9 speed set-up, but they are just too cool. I wanted the look of the new XTR, and they were just as expensive as the new/old 970's, so I bought them.

Zero issues running the new crank on 970 9 speed. I have Run City Park in Austin twice, and Reveille Ranch in Burnet three times on the crank. That's about 40 miles of shifty single track. Clean and crisp shifts, and I only ground the big ring a couple of times. The teeth held up well on the granite in Burnet.

The only adjustment during installation on a my front derailleur FD-M970 was the lower limit. The FD was set to XT M760 cranks. It shifted great right out of the box. No rear derailleur issues at all. Wipperman 9 speed Connex chain as smooth as can be. Granny gear is a bit tougher, and the smaller big ring gives you a touch more clearance. Chris King bottom bracket for Shimano spins sweetly with the FC-M980 crank..

The crank is beautiful, light and solid. I'm just dreading the big ring. It's sharp, and it looks real expensive in more ways than one. I might just grind it down to a smooth ring after it has been rocked.

I would recommend them for sure. Yes, they are expensive, but you do get what you pay for in this case. I now lock my bike up in my house after I bought these cranks....

XT 760, XTR 960

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.