Shimano Deore Crankset

Advanced Shimano forging technology has made possible a hollow crank arm that maintains strength and rigidity while reducing weight. Special 9-speed design assures that the chainrings shift quickly and positively with the super-narrow 9-speed chain. 4-arm design means increased strength and lateral rigidity with less weight.

[Aug 06, 2017]
Los Marauder

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, affordable, work well with Chris King bottom bracket.

Pretty much top of the food chain for old school 3x8. If you want Saint or better quality, sad, but pretty much stuck on this level.

I'm a Clydesdale, and wanted the strongest cranks for my 3x8 drive train. These are nice and solid. Any jump up in quality is gonna cost you if you can even find it.

Only stock crap

[Jun 28, 2013]
Rewind

OVERALL
Strength:

Shifts smoothly on flat ground.

Is starting to jump out of place after a few years.

Is starting to jump out of place after a few years. and chain is getting stuck only after a few years of light use. It has never been adjusted, but still. Hopefully a new chain and some adjustment will solve it.

[Apr 28, 2013]
condorp

OVERALL
Strength:

Good shifting and power transfer. Good value

Weak, I bent them after one day of ownership on my first ride with them. It was a decent crash, clipped a grass tree stump at 30kmhs+ which also bent a pedal, but I have done more than that to my old SLX cranks and they only showed cosmetic damage. I only weigh 65kgs...

You get what you pay for, but I still expected more than this. But they worked well while they lasted.

[Jul 29, 2012]
apbyte
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Low cost, strong, smooth and shifts very nicely. But most importantly hollowtech ii :-)

I have M590 model. At first rings seem cheap and too light for taking serious load, but that is just a look, they are much stronger than I thought. Very smooht pedalling and shifting is very nice with their improved technology. Great value and strength for price.

Shimano Alivio, shimano stock items

[Jun 13, 2012]
Anse

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, weight, reliability, very smooth peddaling.

None so far

In comparison to deore XT, XTR or SLX this crankset is up with the best. Yes it may be the lowest of the ones mentioned but why pay hundreds more when the quality and durability is right upther with them. After puttin on my bike and riding I could feel a noticeable difference. The peddaling is lighter and wears you out much less. Pedaling smotth and responsive, it feels like when I push it goes and when I relax it just keepmy bike mooving a a very steady speed. I can put my bike on the highest gear and pedal as fast as I can as hard as I can and this crankset set up does not give me leg fatigue.

Specialized, alivio and other cranksets.

[Apr 25, 2012]
excalibur1200

OVERALL
Strength:

strength looks, shifts reasonably well

Weight, but its cheap..sooo

Not had any issues with this crankset, its been strong and reliable. SLX and XT are lighter, shift marginally better, but are no stiffer and cost significantly more, for the majority of users Deore is an excellent value good quality crankset with stylish looks and a nice finish. My Trek 6000 came with Deore and Trek is not junk.

[Oct 12, 2011]
xmessenger

OVERALL
Strength:

This is for ORIGINAL Deore DX. Just replaced the original BB and middle chain ring about a year ago and this is a 1992 item!

Well,like lots of early 90's bike stuff its not made anymore, and if it is, it isnt made like this.

Don't know what it is with the old Japanese made parts but its almost like the alloys were of higher quality than now because I honestly don't see ever needing new crank arms. Hint, if you have an old set that look crap buy some cheap polish and polish them up to a mirror shine. I did and they look sweet plus if it gets marked up you can simply buff away any scratches.

Sugino impel

[Jan 30, 2011]
Kiaran Davies

OVERALL
Strength:

Were really smooth for 1 ride

bearings in the BB were really rough after 2 rides. After a few more rides notices the left crank arm slipping slightly. Took it apart and put it back together nice and tight and fell off again three times in one short ride 6 miles from home. All the teeth on both left crank arm and the actual axle wore down really quickly. If you want my advice DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Do not buy the 2010 hollowtech 2 deore chainset. Unbelievably bad.

Had some sr suntour cranks before for two years of hard riding and is still going strong

[Jan 30, 2011]
B-52 Bomber

OVERALL
Strength:

The original DEORE crank set remains on the bike after 10 years of serious beating over rough terrain and countless steep inclines. The crank set and deraileurs have been reliable and dependable but they are due for replacement. After reading the disappointing reviews of LX and DX sets, hey ... I am sticking with the best performance and value for money that befits a hard tail bike frame of 10 years.

Certainly not its longevity... it might have lasted even longer if I maintained it better....

Deore is a heavy duty long lasting group set. Its standard inclusion in the 2001 Tassajara was the best thing Gary Fisher ever did. The marginal weight saving from the LX and DX sets is not enough to sway me to upgrade - rather, I am just looking to replace with the same. Hope that Shimano still makes it like it did a decade ago...

Deore for 10 years!!!! One could say that I have not known any better. My answer is: I don't need to, when factoring price, the bike frame, and a 10 year duty cycle that has been nothing short of bullet proof.

[Dec 13, 2010]
gorg_karlo

OVERALL
Strength:

Price point. Hollowtech II. Buttery glide thanks to new BB setup.

Reviewing the 2010 model here...

I just can't imagine why I would go for DEORE XT when these cranks do pretty much the same (if taken on the price point perspective - better). Hollowtech II construction combined with the new BB make my legs happy with that buttery glide feel. The best change I have done so far for my ride here in Beijing. If you are looking for the most versatile crank, not a weight weenie, and do not mind the ugly DEORE typeface - this is the crank!

Pre-2010 Shimano DEORE, Shimano DEORE XT, ProMax, Truvativ