Race Face Next SL Carbon Crankset

The NEXT SL crank representsThe next generation of Race Face carboncranks. Weighing in at a category leading, 650 grams, Next SL cranks arethe lightest, strongest 100% carbon fiber MTB cranks ever made. RaceFace has created a crankThat goes beyond existing carbon material &process limitations, setting a new benchmark in performance XCcomponents. Hollow carbon fiber crankarms Superlight, CNC machined 6AL-4VTitanium BB spindle AlloyT-30Torx hardware Includes all newTurbine BB, factory filled w

[Feb 17, 2019]
Uly

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light weight.

I have to agree with the low ratings here, the pedal inserts on these break loose too easily. These came OE on my bike. They feel great when pedaling but too much force on the pedal or a rock strike might be the one that causes the pedal insert to break off from the crank arm. Also when making a claim against the warranty, RaceFace will not talk to you directly. You have to go through the vendor you purchased them from, which is a hassle.

Price Paid:
2016
[Jan 15, 2019]
rhettrussell

OVERALL
Strength:

Have the RaceFace Next SL crankset on two bikes; A 2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 and a 2017 Trek ProCaliber 9.9 I'm 5'11 and 170 - and I ride 95% XC Where to start... The crankset on the Fuel EX 9.9 has been finicky since day 1. Had to replace the RF press fit bottom bracket with a Hope BB to solve that issue. Problems soon started developing with the crankarm attachment to the spindle. I thought it was just a little loose and kept tightening to 50nm. Pretty soon I had a bit of play. Then more. Then even more. Now I have between 5-7 mm of play on the non drive side and there is no way to fix this wobble! The drive side only has 3mm of play but the pedal insert is giving out so essentially have the same issue. It's like riding a clown bike! On a side note, my Next SL handlebars on this bike cracked in half too but that's another story! I have contacted RaceFace = crickets... The ProCaliber is a different bike altogether! It's had no problems. But I don't trust the crankset. I fully expect this crankset to let me down in the near future too. I've been reading about so many people who have similar problems with their Next SL cranks and the company appears to be trying to cut their losses and move on without helping any of us. Think about this when you're purchasing ANY RaceFace products. Do you want to be stranded out on the trail, by the manufacturer or both? If I were considering purchasing a new crankset, especially something this expensive - I would consider other brands with better customer service and support. I am working with my LBS to figure out how to replace these cranks with Shimano XTR and a Chris King BB. As long as I'm solving problems, might as well take care of everything!

Crankarm to spindle attachment is VERY problematic. Threaded pedal inserts are also problematic.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[May 12, 2017]
David Montes

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff

Falls apart quickly.

DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had this crank for just over 4 months when the metal pedal insert just snapped out of the crank. Things happen so I look online to see if this is a common issue and it is, wish I had known that going in. Well, at least race face should stand by their product- send it back, ask them to give me a crank that is not known to snap in half on a regular basis. Sure they say, of course we understand why someone might not want a crank that is going to break immediately- but you will pay for the new spindle you will need to do it because after all, the spindle that we sold you doesn't break regularly under normal riding conditions. At least can you get it to me in under a month? No.

Sram x1
Shimano XT

[May 04, 2017]
Travis Bickle
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, and look great. Amazing warranty through my LBS.

The pedal inserts loosen over time.

I have one crankset for 2 years, and another for a year. They are the best before the inserts loosen, light, stiff, strong, except for the pedal inserts. They have replaced 1 complete set, and 3 individual arms over that time. Last time I got the new G4s hoping that the issue was solved, but on of the inserts just loosened. My LBS has been incredible facilitating the warranty replacements. I don't recommend buying them, but if you do, go through a good LBS, and have a backup.

XT, RF Deus, and a lot of others.

[Mar 11, 2016]
Fred Jorgensen

OVERALL
Strength:

Light.

Pedal inset loosens prematurely.

Pedal mount inset comes loose after about a year of light use. Warranty / support non existent. Get BS from
the manufacturer about no support for on line sales.
I have had two sets fail in a year. A third in use, and not expecting much longer.
Never again.

Specialized S-Works has warranty.
Shimano XTR is bulletproof.

[Jan 20, 2014]
Maxlude

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, look cool, no shifting issues at all on RF Team rings, Shimano XT front mech, XTR rear mech and chain and shifters.

Longevity

2009 RF Next SL Chainset:
Had these as original equipment on my 2009 Rocky Mountain Altitude. This bike has done around 2500 XC miles - not big jumps or drop-offs.They've felt great whilst they lasted. The last few months have shown the deficiencies in 2009 year carbon fibre manufacturing techniques. Firstly I found a crack in the bike frame (I am 175lbs with kit) on the seat tube which looked like it was originating from the chainstay pivot. Thankfully Rocky Mountain sent me a whole new frame inc rear shock with no hassle apart from me having to strip and rebuild the bike.
Yesterday I noticed that my pedals seemed to be 'wobbly' and thought they were just loose so tried to tighten them. Turns out the thread insert in the crank arm for both pedals have a lot of fore and aft movement and that the cranks are pretty much junk now. Big shame.
Was going to replace with some RF Turbine SL as I do like the RF Next SL seatpost, bars and stem but they are expensive and I am disappointed in the cranks so I'm thinking I may just bang on some Shimano XT. Not so trick looking but at least I know they will not fall apart.

[May 27, 2013]
Simon

OVERALL
Strength:

light. that's all.

broke after less than one month. No warranty. Total crap.

the crankset broke at the eyelets were the chainring are bolted.
i'm a 69kg rider, and the crankset was installed on my xc hardtail bike.
their customer service is terrible. no warranty, they don't want to know anything. they only answered my emails when i started to threaten them to put pictures of my broken crankset all over the internet.
anyway, they told me that there was no warranty for that. that's more or less their polite version of "f*** off !".
this company is a joke.
I will never buy race face products again.

[Mar 16, 2012]
Phister

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, carbon feels so good.

Weak design

I maybe have 10 or 15 rides on these cranks. On my latest outing I got out of the saddle to climb and snap! All four holes where the bolts attach the cranks to the chainring broke right through. I see another reviewer had the same problem. Seems like a clear design issue. We'll see if the warranty comes though on them. Meanwhile, I'm left with my DH rig.

Otherwise I loved these cranks the light weight is awesome the weight distribution is also perfect. If you do case a crank or pedal on a rock the carbon has a nice dead feel which takes the sting out of the impact. It just looks like they can't take the forces delivered from a single-speed.

lots of aluminum cranks, no other carbon cranks

[Sep 30, 2011]
syncros

OVERALL
Strength:

light

they creaked after 3 months, then started to knock at 6 months, so i change the bottom bracket with no avail, pulled crank off and found that the spindle is loose at the chainrings

alot of money, and raceface wont get back to me and now it's out of warranty, thats probably why they dont get back to you. no customer service. no answering the phone, no reply to emails. will never buy raceface products again. i wish i could give it no chili's

xt

[Jun 03, 2011]
noshortcuts

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, stiff, smooth, reliable.

fairly highcost

I love these. Based on my experience I'm surprised to see others have had quality problems.

FSA carbon, middleburn, xtr...

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.