e*thirteen TRS Race Crankset

Best Price At

[Dec 04, 2019]
Darkstar

OVERALL
Strength:

I have the most recent TRSr cranks. They came on an XTR Santa Cruz Hightower. They are light and stiff.

They don't stay tight. I have to check them each ride. This is the 3rd e Thirteen product I have had. The first was a chain guide bash guard. It's bee fine. I had one of their cassettes that was nothing but issues. My experience is their customer service is a joke. They ask for my receipt when I message them. Yea if it comes to a warrant I'll go find my receipt what I want now is some support. Do you support your garbage or what. My friend has these came cranks that came on his YT. That snapped in the middle on about a 1 foot jump. It was terrifying and makes me want to get new cranks. If I can post a picture of his cranks I will. In short just stay away from e thirteen.

Purchased:
New
[May 05, 2015]
Volcanoclastic

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff

Badly designed, relies on weak, propriety spacers and parts for installation, expensive

I got this crankset and associated PF30 BB on a complete bike, they have been nothing but trouble. Yes, they are light and stiff, but they developed horrible creaking and significant play within a couple of weeks of use. The cranks are spaced and bearings tensioned using a cheap flimsy threaded plastic spacer that expands when rotated and fails after about 5min exposure to mud, this part needs to immediately be replaced with a couple of proper shims or a wavey spring washer. The crank bolt cracked, and is difficult to replace because e13 use a non standard thread, removal of the cranks requires an old ISIS type extractor tool or another propriety E13 extractor part (which as supposed to come with the cranks but didn't). The BB also requires another propriety tool which no bike shop uses, and E13 bearings have a very bad reputation and are again a non standard size so you cant easily replace them with enduro etc.

Why anyone would buy this cranskset over an equivalent model from raceface or SRAM is a mystery, it's heavier, weaker, less reliable, more difficult to get spare parts and chainrings, it's a pain in the ass to work on and requires tools that nobody uses anymore and it's more expensive. The engineering in this crankset is frankly rubbish.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.