Rotor Q-Rings Chainring

Best Price At
Available At

Rotor Q-Rings do not eliminate the dead-spot, but help to reduce its negative effects, moving the legs easier through the dead-spot imitating a smaller circular chainring, and enabling the legs to remain in the power stroke for a longer period of time when compared to round chainrings. Q-Rings change the equivalent tooth size by decreasing it before the dead-spots and increasing it when the rider is in the power mode (when more power is available at the pedal down stroke). A 44T MTB Q-Ring, around the upper dead-spot is equivalent to a 42T, but as the pedal goes down and more strength is applied (just passed the maximum power moment), the equivalent chainring tooth size reaches 46T.

[Oct 11, 2015]
Tõnu

OVERALL
Strength:

They do feel like something different, the QRings help climb and pedal more efficiently by forcing the push-pull at the deadspot.
They are superlight.
I guess they are great, when sponsored by someone other than your own wallet.

Durability: whether I suck at shifting and pedaling (which kind of is the essential for MTB) or the aluminium chainrings don't last over a few muddy rides. Found a cause for the serious chainsuck - it was the teeth from the smallest chainring that had after about 200 miles of riding deformed into a hook-like-thing which then would not let go of the chain.
Price for durability - I would expect them to last more than a low intensity season.

All-in-all I could feel the Q-Rings helped me become better at pedalling, but for the price I would not buy them again.

[Aug 11, 2013]
nico

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth pedaling
less knee pain
Godd quality materials

Front shift/compatibility
proice

Q-rings permits smooth pedaling, traction seems better (MTB). I think the best point is that they reduce pain on the knees during the dead point. Performace gain is hard to feel without measuring but it will surely reduce legs pain and improve your endurance.
Tried on MTB and on a travel bike (touring bike). Great for touring bike, reduces pain and is less tiring.

On a MTB 22-32-44 setup front derailleur is quite hard to adjust. I think it's better to use it on a 2 rings setup (2x10), less shifting problems and reduces costs). Works well with shadow+ clutch derailleur. I tried to mix a granny Q-ring with a "normal" ring and it gives good results. A must have if you have knee problems

[Jun 22, 2013]
Randall Souza

OVERALL
Strength:

They do exactly what they say they do! Smooth pedal stroke, more even output, less effort required at 8/10's-10/10's power output.

I have purchased 2 complete triple XTR chainrings from Q-ROTOR. Love the way they work! But Please fix the XTR 64 the counter sunk hole depth's on the bolt attachment holes. Both sets have had the same problem, the two holes along side the Marked side are NOT the correct depth. They require additional depth to fit correctly! Please re-program your CNC to correctly drill all 4 holes to the same depth!

No marketing by Q-ROTOR, but the product works!

[Feb 03, 2013]
Brian Cavern

OVERALL
Strength:

They apply the power smoother than any round ring ever. The first ride was an amazing
difference. No shifting problems, equal to Dura-Ace. Excellent quality.

Cost. Wow, over $200 bucks for two chainrings!

I'm sure they are not for everyone but most should see some real benefit.

[May 18, 2012]
speedraceratl

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to install on XX cranks
Increase in acceleration on 29er
Makes climbing easier

Price
Has not happened yet but i worry about dropping the chain.

Bought the 40/27 setup for my XX cranks on my Anthem X 29er. Let's just say I could tell a difference right away. The difference was not so much in the way they felt, rather the increased speed I was able to turn the cranks in a range of gears. This lead, I believe, to quicker acceleration.

I completed my first ride on these rings with a couple of friends that both ride 26ers. We all race CAT1 and one has actually raced pro a couple of times and is a CAT2 road racer, also he is 24 and I am 39. I was able to keep up with him for most of the ride on the same trail where he has dropped me plenty of times before. I have yet to look at my Garmin data to see if there were any changes in recorded data, but since I was able to hang where I have not been able to hang before I'm sure there are some changes.

The real test will be when I race next week.

[Apr 24, 2012]
sehsuan

OVERALL
Strength:

works as intended
reduces knee pain/discomfort
shifting is just as fine as shimano/FSA
free speed on the rides!

confusing terminology in manual - "regulation points"

i got the black hard anodized set for the XTR 970 crankset - but for my XT 760 crankset. i do short-haul touring, so every bit that helps relieve the pedaling load i have when the bike is fully loaded is appreciated. i modified the positioning of the middle chainring by filing down some ~0.5mm steel washers to allow the middle chainring to be "pushed" further inboard, because the chain used to jam up between the granny and the middle ring. found out later on rotor's facebook page something about the Q-rings meant for XTR 970 had a granny ring that's further inboard (no thanks, shimano!), hence the problems. after the modification, the shifting works quite well still.

in case you're wondering, i do XC, commuting and touring - all on the same bike. for offroad rides, the modulation from the rings generally helped me a fair bit. i call these rings, "free speed". the hard anodized version has only 3 mounting positions for each ring - but the coppery ones have five if i'm not wrong.

my earlier review is here:

FSA 7075 round rings - 44/32/22.
Shimano XT 760 round rings - 44/32/22

[Apr 23, 2012]
Daniel

OVERALL
Strength:

helps smooth out dead sections on technical terrain and improve leg speed

None that I can note

Run in a 1x set-up for racing in the elite field and feels like it allows me to run the best gear inch solution for both high rpm and low rpm needs. Can maintain good speed on the top end fast sections and then on the "grunt" climbs the power production is smooth at low rpm. Really like feel of getting over waterbars and out of the tight switchbacks of trail pinches.

[Mar 12, 2012]
cyclingmagnet

OVERALL
Strength:

These rings help me climb better. No doubt. Also helps eliminate my knee pain I experience when I get on round rings. If that's all they did it would be a win.

This is not Bio Pace, the technology is proven. Why would Ned Overend, Sauser, Rebecca Rusch.....use them? I tested them at a XC series 4 years ago and with out them I was struggling to stay with the group on the climbs, with them I was right there. Nuf said.

XTR round

[Jun 06, 2011]
Hobbes

OVERALL
Strength:

These rings are awesome. I was reluctant on spending that much money on chain rings, but they are great. Zero issues getting used to them. I bought a second set for my road bike too. They will definitely make you a better rider.

Pricey, not as nice looking as the OEM rings, but totally worth it.

The Q Rings are a great investment for anybody. I had a set on my road bike for over a year and after going for a ride on my mountain bike with standard round rings, I noticed a huge difference (I couldn't keep the cadence, my calfs felt very tired, sour knees, etc). So now I have 2 sets of Q Rings and I'm gonna never look back to round rings.

Shimano Biopace, normal round rings.

[Oct 01, 2010]
andy H

OVERALL
Strength:

options available are designed specifically to replace major brands with minimum fuss

can't think of any

Used the original Shimano version in the 80's and Have used the q rings as direct replacement on road bike ( Ultegra fit)for tha last six 6 years - recently swopped back to the std Ultegra rings whilst revamping my bike - immediately noticed the difference - had forgotten the advantages i had been receiving due to years of familiarity - being a part time but competitive oldie at 51 - the effect on my knees and comfort on climbs , not to mention the reduced fatigue experienced on long rides, is remarkable - more evident with less fitness! - i am now about to get a set for my mountain bike.
Can't understand why they are not "standard" feature for all "serious" level bikes

Shimano BIOPACE - many moons ago !

• Available At