Real Chainring Chainring

Real Chainring

[Jul 22, 2001]
Reno

OVERALL
Strength:

There nickle plated. Very strong and stiff. Nice looking too

They don't work well with my grip shifters at all. The chain falls off all the time and it's very hard to shift.

don't buy them. They don't shift very well at all.

shimano

[Apr 05, 1999]
Jim Frost

OVERALL
Strength:

They last a long time.

Ramps get chewed up fast, don't shift as well as XT.

These are the first (and so far, only) products I ever bought simply because they were gorgeous. The machine work is incredible.The big ring has been great, still using it after 3 years. I don't spend a lot of time in the big ring but it has taken more than a few impacts on rocks and the only damage is 3 broken teeth. Very impressive.The middle ring was shot in about 2 years, which I considered a pretty good lifespan (especially for an Al part). Maybe that coating really helps. None of my local shops had 32T replacements so I had to go with a 34T. Other than making it harder than hell to stay in the middle ring there was no noticable difference.I always had some problems with the granny-to-middle shift; it worked, but I had to hold it to get it to lock in. When I wore out the granny this year I decided to go back to the 32T, but *nobody* has them anymore! Most places have stopped selling Real chainrings completely. A few still stocked a variety of sizes -- but not 32T. I'm told that Real got bought by someone and has been having some manufacturing problems.Since I have no need for a new 34T I went with an XT -- and immediately noticed the improvement in shifting performance. I don't know about longevity yet (prior to the Real rings I used STX and they died in less than a year) but right now I would recommend XT over the Real middle ring any day -- it's cheaper and shifts much better.The granny -- I can't say enough good things about the granny I bought in '95. It started chainsucking last fall, three years later. It outlived my expectations by a good two years easy, what a great buy.When it started chainsucking like mad last fall it got put on my replacement list and I got the new one last weekend (along with the XT middle). The new one is nowhere near the quality of the old one; it's stamped rather than machined and seems to be a different grade of steel. I'm not impressed so far -- stamped steel is pretty lame for something this expensive -- but if it lasts like the old one I'll still be happy.Ratings:4 stars for the middle, great longevity but only mediocre shifting. 5 stars for the granny and large rings for toughness.2 stars for the new granny due to poor craftsmanship. I dunno what happened from '95 to '99 but it wasn't good.

Shimano STX, XT.

[Oct 28, 1997]
ML
downhiller

OVERALL

Put Real rings on my race face crank and it's an incredible combo. Great shifting and very tough. Just as smooth or smoother then shimono rings. Pretty light to.

[Apr 13, 2001]
Peter Polack

extremely poor shifting

I list no price paid because I'm a bike shop employee and it would be unfair to reveal what I paid.

The granny ring was not Real, the middle and large were. I replaced the entire drivetrain-chain, cassette, and chainrings when I reassembled my bike, so everything was fresh. Winter was pretty harsh here, so all my riding was commuting to work.

On the first ride in January I suffered chainsuck when downshifting from the large to middle ring. This continued to happen often enough that I tried wrapping the chainstay with material to fill the gap; obviously I was oblivious to the true cause of the problem. My new frame was taking a beating from this. Just the other day I had the opportunity to take the bike off -road and drop from the middle to granny ring-the chain sucked so hard it bent my granny ring in two places.

My theory: the Real chainrings build up extra material on the inside faces of the rings as shifting ramps. This material does not increase the thickness of the rings at the bolt hole or it would increase spacing between the rings. It does, however, make them wider where the chain passes from ring-to-ring, which could have something to do with the resultant chainsuck. With virtually all other rings I've used there was no profile on the inner face of the rings, and I've used many generic brands; they all worked fine. The only other cause could be the shape of the teeth themselves, but I'm not an engineer so I couldn't identify any contributing factors, at least not visually.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend these rings to anyone as they performed horribly. Since Shimano no longer offers 74/110mm chainrings, I'm trying QBP Engagement rings, mainly because they're affordable and they have NO profile on the inner face.

virtually all brands; many were generics.

[Apr 04, 2003]
Mike T.

OVERALL
Strength:

Wearability! Looks,

None.

My gawd I've had Real's 46t outer ring for years on the only bike I ride and I ride mostly in the big ring and this thing just WON'T wear out! It's done thousands of miles. Its shifts great, wears even better and looks good. What else is there to say? I'm in the process of looking for a backup ring for if and when it does wear out.

SR rings. Shimano.

[Mar 12, 2000]
Jefftallica Fisher

OVERALL
Strength:

Shifts well, looks cool, STIFF, should last a while, light

costs a lot unless you buy wholesale (like I did)

i only own a middle Real ring. i had to replace the outer and middle ring after the sheisse sugino rings i was using gave out. so, i bought a real middle and a Raceface outer. both should, ideally, last a long time since i sprang for the fancy-schmancy hard coated versions. the Real is nickel-plated, the Raceface is hard-anodized. both rings, besides being noticeably lighter than the 6061 rings they replaced, are a hella lot stiffer than my previous rings. they also shift well and interface fine with my specialized crank and LX front shifter. all that talk about staying with an "all shimano" system is just a load of bunk.

Sugino rings (C-R-A-P), Shimano STX

[Jul 09, 1999]
ben florie

OVERALL
Strength:

nickel coating works, light, one of few brands making 110bc 44t ring, wears great, shifts even better

pricey as f$&%

i paid $95 for my combo. they have been used hard and still shift better than anything i've ever seen. i've had them a few months, rode hard, and the nickel coating is still intact, even on the teeth! my old blackspires wore beyond real use in 3 rides!

blackspire

[Apr 01, 1999]
Jon

OVERALL
Strength:

Last forever
light weight
look good
not too pricey

ramps wear over time, could use some pins

These have held up well to over 2 years of pounding. I'm light-140 lbs, but I ride hard and do lots of rocky trails and downed trees. I've lost part of 1 tooth from the big ring, but shifting and pedaling haven't suffered at all. I use 46 outer and 34 middle on an old(1992) XT crank, and these went on very well. They look neat, too, with the nickel coating. My only gripe is their lack of pins, which would keep the shifting as good as new over time. It's not a big deal, though, since they still work well.

Shimano XT
Action Tec ti inner

[Jan 17, 1999]
Phil...
cross-country rider

OVERALL

My friend used to use real rings on his Campy MTB crank (Yes Campy once made MTB components, too bad they still dont...), and they were awsome. They shifted fine, and were TOUGH. He weighs around 180 lbs, and rides down stair cases, up onto picnic tables, which he then jumps off... he is also famous for using the outer ring as a third wheel while he is grinding up some object that bikes were never meant to be ridden on... he is kind of half BMX half trials rider.
The point is that the Real rings never flinched (neither did the Campy cranks...aluminum, but tough as Iron), however, the Cannondale frame he rode finnally cracked in two...

[Nov 24, 1998]
IGGH
cross-country rider

OVERALL

I like these. I have virtuall all XTR components. I wanted RaceFace cranks and an XT BB as I am a heavier guy than most and it seemed like a good robust alternative to the XTR crank/BB system. This opened the door for ring options and I chose Real.Here's a couple of things you should know. I should have known them too. It would have saved a bit of aggravation.The crux of the problem arose when I tried to use REAL compact 22-32-42 rings with my XTR E-type front derailleur. According to Shimano, the XTR front derailleurs can only be used with standard rings. XT and lesser can be used with compact. Strange but true. There is no compact-compatible XTR front derailleur.XTR front derailleurs can manage a minimum of 24 teeth and a maximum of 48 teeth. For smaller (compact) grannies (18, 20, 22) you must use XT or below.So I changed my rings to be 24-34-42 and increased the ring spacing a bit as a separate solution. Now the rings shift like butter using the XTR rapid-fire pod. Unfortunately, my LBS was not able to obtain a REAL 24 tooth granny immediately so I'm using a Black Spire in that position with REAL 34 and 42 tooth rings. Its a fine ring too. Oh well.... I can only assume that a REAL 24-tooth granny would work as well (and would have been my preference - only from a cosmetic prespective.In summary, ring spacing and tooth-count are both critical factors in successful shifting. Don't assume that all derailleurs will work with all ring sizes. I am able to continue using my IG-90 chain as the spacing modification added to the solution.Thanks again to Physical Culture for excellent service and a willingness to solve problems. As for Real, they did answer my email although they did not specifically solve the problem. It seems that the XTR/compact incompatibility issue is not well known. Having said that, the compact rings did shift with the XTR derailleur albeit poorly and with a lot of free-spinning. Ouch.I reiterate, with proper tooth selection and set-up, these rings shift like butter. They seem perfectly compatible with XTR rapidfire pods and my E-type XTR front derailleur.Five flaming triple-coilers with a DQ twist.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.