Shimano Deore LX CN-HG73 Chain

Shimano's CN-HG73 105/LX 9/speed Chain is specifically designed to work with hyper glide cassettes. The width of this chain is designed to work with all nine speed applications.

[Sep 17, 2020]
Fadel Abdurrahman

OVERALL
Strength:

No.....the only strength it has is, it forces you to buy a new chain to replace it immediately after purchasing.

Chain breaks so easily. Already broke twice for only 2 months of usage. The first one broke on the conector link. It was not a big problem because i only commute in the city and easily repaired using a plier. But the second one was nearly kill me. It broke right on its pin. So i was shred my way through the bike park. As i came out a corner and prepared to shoot the jump 100M ahead, i hit the pedal to increase my speed and approached the ramp when suddenly the chain broke, fucked my stability, brought my right feet all the way down to the ground, pushed all weight to the right side, i tried to balance it but then i took off of the ramp. I was lucky that i made it out without any significant injury. I threw the damn chain away right on the spot.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2013
[Nov 10, 2013]
Gabi

OVERALL
Strength:

chain wear not too fast

snapped for 6 times in 2 months

don't buy it because it snaps!

[Aug 23, 2011]
Domingo

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, smooth shifting

little heavy

I've ridden on and off on this chain for the last couple of years and this chain has held up great. At one point I left it full of corrosion for months on end. Lubed it up and it was good to go. I recommend this chain as I prefer Shimano drivetrains over Sram.

Other shimano chains

[Jun 01, 2011]
boycey10802002

OVERALL
Strength:

...shifted well until it snapped in half

Super weak.

Split in two separate places on two consecutive days. Less than 250km of city riding and a 2-hour stint of riding down the Don Lands trails. Utter, utter crap.

Alevo-grade 7-speed chain from Shimano. Also broke.
KCM chain (I forget what grade)

[Jul 20, 2010]
Amur

OVERALL
Strength:

successfully worked over 2000 km and now still in moderate condition.

you cant disconnect it to clean well (unless you use SRAM link)

i bet it would work 500 km more without problems

[Aug 19, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Ha, it's crap

Chain snapped after 800kms of commuting to work. Shimano refused to replace it underwarranty, so obviously they know their own products are rubbish too

A two month old bike and the chain lasted 800 kilometers, not good enough shimano! They obviously couldn't give a rats what consumers think. Maybe it's time I try Campag

Sram

[Jun 30, 2009]
Eitan-ro

Very weak chain, broke after less than 300 KM, and I don't push hard

the chain is CRAP! Don't buy it!

[Oct 07, 2007]
Skee

OVERALL
Strength:

Usual chain

Snapped several times, its very weak.

I do not recommend this chain for anyone.

KMC Z

[Nov 16, 2007]
Julius Charlie

Very weak

Chain came stock with bike. After 4 months of use (XC riding about 15-30 miles weekly) & despite frequent oiling/care, it began to squeak horrendously, and had very poor shifting. Chain was starting to stretch & weaken. I immediately bought a new Deore LX CN-HN73 chain to replace the old one. I used a SRAM power link to connect the chain.

I immediately noticed an improved shifting & minimal noise. It was relatively stiff, and I could power my way up hills in high gears. Unfortunately, while pedaling out of the saddle, the chain gave way. My right knee went right into the right fork, and left a 1 1/2 deep inch gash that required a trip to the emergency room for stitching. This is a weak chain, and I would not recommend it for aggressive XC hill climbing. Two thumbs down!!! Incidentally, the SRAM power link held its own.

Deore LX CN-HG73

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.