Rohloff SLT 99 Chain

SLT 99

[Mar 04, 2013]
Azman~ A Cross country rider~ Malaysia

OVERALL
Strength:

Too strenghts at the higher level chain!

Nothing at all! Superb!

My top no.1# chain ever used for more 5years! U can't beat the strenght off this Rohfloff on any matter terrain during the ride! The pity is this chain is no more available made by Rohfloff. I'm trying to source it for my 3rd chain on my 2nd hartd tail bike if is still available in market. Try it and feel it!

[Feb 06, 2011]
BikeManiac

OVERALL
Strength:

Best chain ever!!!

None, ...... really ..... none!!

This is the best chain ever. 2007 I did the perimeter of Australia on a trike. The entire distance was approx. 15000 km, or 9300 miles in 72 days. The bike was fitted with a Rohloff chain. After 15000 km I used the Rphloff tool to measure the wear. It had not reached the 0,075 mm/100mm yet!!! I suppose this chain could last for another 10000 kms.

Also, I managed to have this chain tested (microstructure, hardness etc) at the technical university and compare it with chains from SRAM, Shimano and KMC. Compared with other brands the Rohloff chain had a better = more fine grained micro structure, higher hardnesses etc.

Shimano, KMC, SRAM

[Nov 18, 2010]
lebikerboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong shifts well just doesn't seem to wear...

I haven't found any.

I reviewed this chain Nov.3/06 hoping it would last.
Well it's over 4 years and hardly worn. Mind you it's on
one of my hard tails that I don't ride every day but still
it's pretty amazing. Maintenance is the key to keeping
it running...

Sram, Sachs, Wipperman, Shimano etc.

[May 12, 2010]
filfilfil

OVERALL
Strength:

Bought one on the strength of reviews here. Lasted for 2000kms of light xc on a new build. Started getting crappy shifts and trying adjustments and a different rear wheel with another cluster I finally measured the chain to find a surprising amount of stretch (well der...2000kms!) Obviously another was purchased despite the price but got only 1/4 the life with similar stretch despite new cluster and front chain rings...Has something changed in the product lately?

Expensive....when the product isnt lasting well. Inconsistant performance between purchases and 2nd one lasted about 700kms! This wasnt abuse...it was stretched...and Im not a demanding power rider!
Hard to find...1 OZ distributor?

Initially loved it and was a Rohloff convert as the life made the price good value. The replacement chain was hugely disappointing and made the price a hard pill to swallow! I will try other brands again to see what the market is like knowing I can purchase 2 others for the price of 1 of these. May return to the fold and see if things change...had me...lost me!

SRAM, Shimano

[Nov 17, 2009]
PaulM

OVERALL
Strength:

Longish lasting, but nothing special, doesn't brake - but no chain should...

Over priced, all hype, flawed design

Nothing special, most of this product is hype, I actually think SRAM chains give a much faster and cleaner shift.

SRAM, Shimano, KMC

[May 24, 2009]
Canadan

OVERALL
Strength:

Does nor break even though I rode MTB Tracks with 30 kg panniers

For this price I could buy three to five LX/SLX Shimano chains and this one does not last longer than one of them. Absolutely overpriced

To expensive for an average chain, I'll go back o shimanos cheap japanese toys

HG53, HG73

[May 07, 2009]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Superior design, materials and manufacturing. Superior performance, smoothness (keep any chain clean and lubed!!!)

None whatsoever.

While several chains exist and aregood to very good, with a special shout out to Wipperman - phenominal product, where either a 7, 8, or 9 cog rear is at hand, Rohloff's chain is in a league of its own. Thank you Rohloff!!!
Always install properly to absolute precision with the right tool and always keep your chain (drivetrain) clean and properly lubricated (Dumonde Tech!). So many do not. What a crime.

Over decades have used every chain of note - chiefly Italian and French mfgr.

[Aug 26, 2003]
Jens Jacob Iversen

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, well thought out - just take a look at the rohloff homepage and read what they have to say about chains.

The fact that the rohloff chain which I now use on a rohloff speedhub outlasted a XT cassette is enough proof for me that this chain is the best out there. If you use it with a cassette be sure to choose a sram cassette. Be sure to use Oil of Rohloff on the chain.

shimano hg, SRAM PC99

[May 28, 2003]
stump

OVERALL
Strength:

Hey All......I've been trying to find a dealer, etc to purchase a rohloff slt-99 mtb chain. I can't seem to find them anywhere. I've heard from a few retailers that rohloff hasn't produced any product for a while. Is this true? Does anyone know where I can buy one of these puppies?

Hey Germany, are you listening? What's the scoop?

Hey Germany, are you listening? What's the scoop?

[Jan 05, 2007]
Andreas Klauser

OVERALL
Strength:

Endures, looks nice

Chain suck

Unexplained many events of chain suck of late with the STL 99/8. Changed everything, only the (new Rohloff) chain remained as culprit. With SRAM PC68 zero problems. Don't know what to make of it. Hitherto I've been an unmitigated Rohloff fan.

Shimano IG90; SRAM PC68

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.