Blackspire C4 RingGod Chain Accessories

The RingGod is designed for double or single ring applications and will protect chainrings up to 36T. It's made from 3/8" inch thick molded polycarbonate that is stout enough to stand up to just about anything. The graphics are molded to ensure good looking freshness for a long time.

[Oct 22, 2014]
SlowJoeCrow

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy mounting with included hardware
protects my leg and my chain ring

Plastic material limits your choice of chain lube
bulky

I run this on a trail bike in place of the big ring on a Shimano LX triple. My primary object was to keep my leg getting torn up by the chainring after a couple of crashes and to convert to a 22-36 "compact" crank setup. Mounting was easy since the longer nuts in the package matched up to the stock Shimano bolts.
Since the guard is Lexan a lot of solvent based lubes will attack the plastic, I got a list of safe lubes from E13's website. I'm using Dumonde Tech on this bike since Pro Link will eat the Lexan.
After two years of trail riding and some STXC racing the C4 ring has held up fine and my calf is unmarked so I'm happy with it.

[Aug 13, 2011]
Ecogeek

OVERALL
Strength:

Does job. Not heavy. Inexpensive. Comes w bolts. Colors - if you give a crap (because you're a vain poser who puts appearance above performance/value).

None. There are better. But bash rings are by their nature disposable. So, min cost is a good thing.
Doesn't come w instucts to stop noobs overtorquing.

$20 inc bolts.
Torque to 12Nm.
I fit mine w no probs using torque wrench to 12Nm.
I was concerned as it didn't have alu inserts like the Truvativ Rockguard or solid alu products like the Straitline or Blackspire.
But, $20 inc bolts. No probs if you know what torque.
The plastic is not super-tough. If you smash it on rocks, of course it will get gouged. But, in the process, it won't let the rocks destroy your chainrings. The whole point.
A bash is for bike/rider that are prob going to hit rocks sometimes.
It is hard to go wild about a bash ring. It's such a basic tool. Just a lump to protect other things. Disposable.
This isn't the best, but it's half the price of many. And some need special bolt kits or don't come w bolts.

On a trail bike, this thing is fine.
For trials? No.
For serious downhill. Maybe. If you get through a lot of bash-rings, then this will save you some $. No point using high end stuff if you're going to smash it.
For someone that never wants to replace and rides moderately, then you are more likely to never have to replace the Truvativ rockguard.

But, you can get two of the C4 for the price of the Tv RG + bolt kit. So can afford to replace if needed.

Like I said, a rockguard is a disposable lump. So, hard to get excited either way. I am only reviewing this because the existing review is desperately one-sided and doesn't appear based in fact.

Conditions in which I'd be concerned about the C4 would be against big hits in low temps. Might make it brittle and crack at the bolt-holes. But, that is pure speculation. And how many riders are hitting their bash on blocks of ice?!

If you want a low cost not too heavy guard, then this is fine.
If you intend to smash it on everything as hard as pos, then get solid Alu and be prepared to replace often.

I can only give 4* for value as it's a small lump of plastic. Should cost $5. But rates ok as cheaper than most.
Can only give 4 overall as there are better. The price relative to others and included bolts help.
Decent. Not amazing. Get one and be satisfied you have what you need with $ in your pocket.
Or pay extra for the Truvativ w inserts and bolt kit. Judgement call.
Prob doesn't really matter so don't waste as much time as I just did on it! ;)

Truvative alu bash. And Truvativ poly Rockguard.
Straitline bash. Blackspire.

[Aug 10, 2011]
cruzean

OVERALL
Strength:

Just the right size

This thing is one of the worst products I have purchased for my bike. The first one cracked while installing it. Black spire told me I tightened it too much but sent a new one. It has completely dissintegrated in 4 months and I am an XC rider, it has not even taken a hit. Every day I ride more of it cracks and falls off. I contacted Blackspire for a refund but have not heard back.

This thing is garbage.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.