Performance Precision 8 Speed Cassette Cassette

[Jul 16, 2007]
Lee

OVERALL
Strength:

cheap

bad shifting, fragile

I have 2 of these cassettes, one 12-32, one 11-28. The 12-32 is ok, but the shifting is very slow compared to a SRAM or even a Sunrace cassette. The 11-28 cassette is horrible. First, the removable two outer cogs' freehub interface was shoddy, making it hard to put on (had to lightly tap with a rubber mallet to get them on). Then less than a month in, the 12T cog had a tooth break off. I can't say whether the bad interface is the original cause, but it's BS to have such a lightly torqued, rarely used steel cog fail that fast on a commuter bike.

Actually, if you compare Sunrace and Forte cogs, they look nearly identical; I'd bet they're from the same factory. The differences are Forte cassettes cost more, don't include the nickel plating, and have worse tolerances on the machining.

sram, sunrace

[Jan 26, 2008]
dwight moody

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, final straw in lovely decision to ditch gears.

Oh, everything

Sometimes, you really get what you pay for. The second or third time I rode this POS, the 12 tooth cog snapped and fell out. When I got back home after that abbreviated ride, I switched in a worn ring from an old cassette and just tried not to end up in that gear. This was tolerable for a couple months, when a tooth snapped off on of the larger cogs.

So I decided to become a single speeder.

Sram

[Mar 15, 2008]
Will T Smith

OVERALL
Strength:

It's $5 cheaper than a SRAM cassette that would not have broken.

Misery loves company. The 12 tooth cog shattered on a road at Fort Custer. Whats worse is that the back cassette spacing on this cassette is such that I could not throw a 12T on from a worn cassette.

So, In the end I lost $12. Lucky for Performance it broke at the END of the ride. I won't be buying any more Forte branded drivetrain components.

Don't waste your money on this junk. It still only gets one chili for value because there is no value in cheap garbage.

SRAM and Shimano cassettes